C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

MBrace not working - "SOS Service not Activated"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 Sport
MBrace not working - "SOS Service not Activated"

I activated MBrace on my 2014 C250 last week. MBrace told me it can take up to 48 hours to activate in my car. I've been trying for the past week and when I press any of the buttons, I get the message "SOS Service not Activated." MBrace is saying everything is showing as fine on their end and the problem is with my car.

Has anyone dealt with this? Or know of a fix?
Old 09-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 4MATIC Sport sedan
I'm dealing with the same issue and its a bit frustrating because I went ahead and opted to pay for service for 2 years after the trial ends.
I activated my service this past sunday and it is still not working. Called the mbrace customer service line and the rep said I need to check with the dealer. I called the dealer service line and they seemed a bit surprised that mbrace customer service didn't know what the issue was. Made an appointment for this saturday so I'll report back what I find.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:44 PM

At the dealer now...

So I made an appointment for 8am on Saturday (today). Right now It's 15 minutes till 11, service advisor told me a little while ago that they are reloading the mbrace software... So we're waiting for that process to finish...
Nearly 3 hours of my Saturday at the dealer.
Good times. :/
Old 09-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Arrived at dealer: 8am
Left dealer: 1:40pm

They apologized for not realizing that it would take that long... So if anyone has this issue, be prepared or ask for a loaner. I spent more than half of my saturday in the customer lounge. Luckily my 3 year old son was patient today.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:00 AM

C300
I had an issue with my mbrace as well. Took it to the dealer just to get home and find out that it's still not working. Called the dealer and complained but I never went back due to 7 days a week I had to work. Is there anything special I have to do maybe I didn't do correct ? Or just take it to the dealer ? (Again)
Old 09-14-2014, 10:20 AM

I don't think theres anything we can do on our end. I'd let the dealer know the frustration and your tight schedule then push to drop off your car and get a loaner.
Seems like they should have tested it prior to giving it back to you to make sure it works...
As long as mbrace is saying your subscription is active then the dealer should be able to figure out what the issue is.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
17' C43 Sedan
dang I have the same issue. I keep getting told it would take a few days, but nadda.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:13 AM

Equetefue, will probably have to schedule an appointment with the dealer. I'm still waiting for my MB Apps trial to kick in also. :|
Old 10-09-2014, 01:02 PM

17' C43 Sedan
got car back after the appt and everything works except the apps and internet radio. Contacted mbrace support and they have reprovision the entire system.

They told me this morning that it could take 24-48 hrs. That's unheard off in this time and age. I guess I will wait until monday and see if it works.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by equetefue
got car back after the appt and everything works except the apps and internet radio. Contacted mbrace support and they have reprovision the entire system.

They told me this morning that it could take 24-48 hrs. That's unheard off in this time and age. I guess I will wait until monday and see if it works.
I experienced the same thing. They had finally fixed the Mbrace and I was able to use the "i" button a few times.
After receiving my MBrace welcome packet in the mail i found that I also had a trial for Mercedes Benz Apps. I attempted to use it and the screen displayed the message "No Network Available". I called MBrace and they sent a signal to the sytem and said it should be good to go after 24-48 hours. That time elapsed with no change to the no network message. Called Mbrace again and they advised seeing the dealer.
Dropped the car off to the dealer last monday and received the call this morning that it's ready for pick up today. 4 days of troubleshooting and reloading software. My Service Advisor informed me that both Mbrace and Mercedes Benz Apps software had to be reloaded. Sounded like it had to do with in what sequence that they reload software. They were able to get Mbrace to work and MB Apps to work but found after shutting the car down and roughly 60 minutes passing that when the car was turned on again the MB Apps would not function or connect.
They said all systems are working now so I'll find out for myself after pick up and spending some time with it.
I made the comment that whatever solution they came to should be shared with MBrace HQ or MB and he informed that they already made a report for MB. So if you still happen to experience the same problem equetefue, might want to bring this instance up.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:45 PM

17' C43 Sedan
Thank you ! This will be of great help. Here hoping you don't have to go back and the issue got resolved. Keep us posted as I will make sure to let them know of this info.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:26 PM

Equetefue,

Picked up my car late this afternoon. Spent about half an hour browsing through the MB Apps. Everything seems to work okay right now. Initial impression is most everything MB Apps offers can be done on any current smartphone. Interesting feature none the less. Just not sure how much I'll actually use it. I'm gonna go through it as much as I can but I'm already anticipating if anything I'll add the Plus features but not the MB Apps.
Just glad the system seems to be operational now. Attached is a photo of the summary they included on this visits invoice.

The following users liked this post:
SaffsDad (10-04-2018)
Old 10-09-2014, 09:54 PM

17' C43 Sedan
Thank you so much. Just checked a few minutes ago and nada. I'm guessing I'll have to go same route as you, but this should help out a lot
Old 10-15-2014, 09:43 PM

17' C43 Sedan
Car has been at the dealership for two days and they can't figure out how to make it work..
Old 10-16-2014, 08:08 AM

That's a bummer. Maybe your dealers techs can try calling Mercedes Benz of Colorado Springs, CO? Might be worth a shot. The techs there were able to figure it out for my car. Not sure how much different it may be from your CLS.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:22 AM

17' C43 Sedan
phenom, in your case it was all about the order of reprogramming the software correct?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by equetefue
phenom, in your case it was all about the order of reprogramming the software correct?
From what I remember and how they described it, yes. When they first reloaded Comand it got the Mbrace buttons on the overhead console working but not the MB apps. The last visit to the dealer they stated they reloaded both systems and were able to get it to work, even after it had been sitting overnight. In the notes from the last work order it looks like a hard reset with the Comand and Mbrace then performing all new configuration was the solution for them.
I also remember them saying that Mbrace Dealer Support wasn't very helpful because it wasn't a problem they've seen before.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:17 PM

ML 350 2014
Same problem on my car. Any idea why it happens?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:55 AM

ML 350 2014
Price

How much you pay for mbrace? Any idea how to get discount on it?
Old 05-15-2015, 03:19 PM

CLA 250
MBrace Not working - And not covered by warranty?

Same Problem on my 6 Month old Certified Pre Owned CLA 250 with only 3K miles. Bought it from Brooklyn Mercedes, as I live in Clifton I wanted to take it in to Morristown to have it "re-provisioned" (This is what the MBrace call center told me to do. after troubleshooting with them on the phone) Was told I would be charged by Morristown as "MBRACE is not covered by my warranty" WTF??? I dont want to Drive all the way back to Brooklyn (I have been back there 3 times because of other problems.) I will Try Caldwell Mercedes as I believe they are Owned by the same Crowd who owns Brooklyn. Very Disappointing that BRACE Is not covered under my standard warranty!!!!
Old 05-16-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by NeilDilly
Same Problem on my 6 Month old Certified Pre Owned CLA 250 with only 3K miles. Bought it from Brooklyn Mercedes, as I live in Clifton I wanted to take it in to Morristown to have it "re-provisioned" (This is what the MBrace call center told me to do. after troubleshooting with them on the phone) Was told I would be charged by Morristown as "MBRACE is not covered by my warranty" WTF??? I dont want to Drive all the way back to Brooklyn (I have been back there 3 times because of other problems.) I will Try Caldwell Mercedes as I believe they are Owned by the same Crowd who owns Brooklyn. Very Disappointing that BRACE Is not covered under my standard warranty!!!!
What year is your CLA250? With such low mileage it sounds like it is still under the New Vehicle Warranty? If this is the case then MBrace is covered under the warranty. The New Vehicle Warranty is bumper to bumper so covers literally everything in the car (except wear and tear parts).

I have had this problem fixed under warranty and have many others also posting here.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:35 PM

250 SLK
I'm having the same problem.

Signed up for 3 month free trial last week and was told it would take 48hrs to activate. No such luck. I'm very disappointed to read above how poorly Mercedes has handled the same issues with others. I just bought this car, 2014 250 SLK certified PREOWNED under initial warrantee with under 20k miles and now I can't get selling features working. Very poor on Mercedes part.
Guess I'll have to make a service appointment an see what happens. I be sure to share my experience. The Mercedes dealer near me, Contemporary Motors in Little Silver has been very reliable in the past with a ML350 I had years ago. And that was purchased used from another dealer as well.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:19 AM

C250
I went through the same thing. The technology the runs the MBrace system is essentially a buried mobile phone acting as a modem. Formerly Hughes and now known and owned by Verizon here in the states. I've noticed that many if not all of us that have had issues are referring to preowned, second hand, used...etc cars. It seems as though when the service is canceled the system shuts down the the EID of the car. Then the software updates have to be done 'the old fashioned way' rather than 'over the air'. Brand new the units ship activated with a temp account assigned and are then transferred over at delivery. Therefore should an update be provided those units will get them OTA.

Some of the earlier post here indicate a lengthy visit to a dealer to have this update installed, I think that Mercedes and Verizon have streamlined the process between the earlier posts and now, I was told by the service writer that it could take a while and had the car back in roughly 1 hours time and no charge (on 10/17/2016). Same deal on the 48Hours for the Mbrace system to become active (batch cycle processing is my guess for the cause). Though when I log on to the MBUSA website I'm no longer being told my vin is being verified so things are progressing. In a nutshell, Mercedes is the account holder with Verizon Telematics and 'subleases' them to to car owner.

Originally Posted by Judy Crigger
Signed up for 3 month free trial last week and was told it would take 48hrs to activate. No such luck. I'm very disappointed to read above how poorly Mercedes has handled the same issues with others. I just bought this car, 2014 250 SLK certified PREOWNED under initial warrantee with under 20k miles and now I can't get selling features working. Very poor on Mercedes part.
Guess I'll have to make a service appointment an see what happens. I be sure to share my experience. The Mercedes dealer near me, Contemporary Motors in Little Silver has been very reliable in the past with a ML350 I had years ago. And that was purchased used from another dealer as well.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C300
I bought a 2014 C250 last year and had the same problem after signing up for the MBrace trial. Here's what I learned from the dealer and MBUSA:

They changed quite a bit of MBrace for the 2015 models. There are software updates that are automatically sent/downloaded/whatever by cars with MBrace that is activated and checks into the network periodically.

My car never had it's MBrace activated when it was new (it was a service loaner). So my car was too behind on software updates for the activation process to work, so I had to take it to the dealer who re-programmed it. I cancelled before the trial ended because I didn't feel it was worth it, especially since I don't have COMAND or any way to use the Send-to-Benz feature.

I believe the term that MBUSA told me was my car could not be "auto provisioned" because it was too far behind on the updates.

Last edited by jlr82; 10-24-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:16 PM

2014 E 350
Same issue!

I just bought a 2014 E 350. I downloaded the MercedesMe app, which replaced MBrace, and of course its saying Verifying VIN. I called the number on the app to subscribe to the services because I want to be able to lock and unlock my car from the app. After an hour of going over all the subscription details, I agreed to a two year. She took my credit card info and told me to reset the system by pressing and holding three buttons at the exact same time until they started blinking. The SOS button, the Wrench button, and the i button. When I do that. Only SOS blinks and I get that stupid Verizon message saying it can’t be completed. It can’t be canceled once it starts, and tries for 3 to 5 minutes. We tried several times. The customer service rep told me to go ahead and take it to the dealer for them to press the three buttons. I called the local Mercedes dealer, and they want $150 to even look at it!!! I don’t understand why this is so difficult. Have y’all found a workaround?