C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 DIY for iPod/iPhone Ashtray Mount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mercedes C300 Sport
W204 DIY for iPod/iPhone Ashtray Mount

I have a 2009 C300 and hate the fact that the iPod/iPhone connection is in the glovebox. I tried to use a bluetooth adapter so I could stream music through my iPhone but that was not successful. So, I decided to relocate my iPod/iPhone connection to my ashtray. Since I don't smoke and my ashtray only collects used gum wrappers, I figured this would be the perfect place to have an iPod/iPhone connection.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of pictures during this process as I just *****-nilly started the project one night when I couldn't sleep. But I will give you the basic steps and show you the aftermath...

Step 1: Remove shift boot and shift knob.

Step 2: Remove the console trim surrounding the shift knob to expose the entire area surrounding shift knob.

Step 3: Remove trim surrounding HVAC controls.

Step 4: Remove ashtray. Requires use of a torx screw driver to loosen two (2) screws. Also, requires you to put the car in reverse. Locate the gear-selector release at the back of the gearbox trim (mine was colored yellow). Push on it and select Reverse. Ashtray can then be removed.

Step 5: Remove glovebox. Requires use of torx screw driver to loosen approximately nine (9) screws.

Step 6: Remove iPod/iPhone cord from side of glovebox.

Step 7: Locate iPod/iPhone integration device (large rectangular black box with iPod/iPhone connecter attached). This should be adhered to the passenger side quarter panel area with some adhesive tape and velcro.

Step 8: Peel back the carpet in the front, passenger foot-well to expose the cable attached to the iPod/iPhone integration device.

Step 9: Peel back the carpet on the passenger side center console area to expose the side of the center console stack (radio/HVAC, etc).

Step 9: Relocate iPod/iPhone integration device to an area under the center console. (I was able to find an adequate spot that it fit into without much trouble. I think it fits in right behind the radios and under the AC vents).

Step 10: Thread the iPod/iPhone cord up into the ashtray area. This is a lot easier to do if you disconnect the iPod/iPhone cord from the integration device and tread it through the gap from the top. In other words, take the ethernet looking plug, place it where the ashtray used to be, and thread it through the gap between the console and carpet and reconnect to the integration device.

Step 11: Using the using a Dremmel tool, cut two holes in the ashtray so you can fit the iPod/iPhone docking station (shown below) into the ashtray. One hole must be in the back (to connect the iPod/iPhone cord to the docking station) and the other hole must be in the front (so that the docking station lays down flat, otherwise it will be tilted up a little and the iPhone won't have enough clearance to make a good connection). The holes will have to be wide and tall enough to insert the docking station through them. I was worried it would look unsightly, even though I took a lot of time to make it all look even with the Dremmel tool. But given the angles you sit at in the car, you can't even tell there are any holes behind the docking station.

Step 12: Using 3M or Scotch Tape velcro, secure the docking station to the bottom of the ashtray.

Step 13: Connect the iPod/iPhone docking station to the Mercedes' iPod/iPhone connector.

Step 14: Test, Test, Test! I found this out the hard way...

Step 15: Button everything back up!

Here is the link to the eBay ad for the dock I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251655579122

Old 10-04-2014, 09:53 AM

2011 C300 Sport
This is awesome. I've been trying to think about how to do this. Do you happen to have any pics of the install in progress?
Old 10-04-2014, 01:32 PM

2009 Mercedes C300 Sport
Originally Posted by mattyboync
This is awesome. I've been trying to think about how to do this. Do you happen to have any pics of the install in progress?
No. I wish I had taken more pics. To be honest it all kind of makes sense as you go along. The hardest part is getting the glove box out. Real PITA

I forgot to note that I used an Extended Apple 30 pin to Lightning adapter. Key part being extended.

Last edited by IncognitoSphinx; 10-05-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:19 PM

2009 Mercedes C300 Sport
Originally Posted by mattyboync
I took some photos of the gearbox area and ashtray.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:54 PM

2008 C350 Sport
what is the black box between the two cables?
Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 PM

2009 Mercedes C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Eric DeCastro
what is the black box between the two cables?
It is a power adapter. With it connected, I can recharge my phone when it's connected to the iPod cable. I think mine was a knock off of a more expensive one made by Schose (sp).
Old 12-25-2014, 06:08 AM
evd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 C63 Estate
Nice mod!

So you've used a geniune 30pin to lightning adapter cable? and the power adapter between just so it charges?
Old 12-25-2014, 07:40 AM

2009 Mercedes C300 Sport
Originally Posted by evd
Nice mod!

So you've used a geniune 30pin to lightning adapter cable? and the power adapter between just so it charges?
Yeah. The MB 30 pin iPod/iPhone cable won't charge the phone if you just use the 30 pin lightening adapter cable. That's why I have the power adapter. It is aggravating but it was the only solution I could find.