C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

A tale of snow and ESC Inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
A tale of snow and ESC Inoperative

So, today I scared the crap out of myself testing out the car (first time driving this car in the winter) in a snowy empty parking lot. Feared I killed the car somehow gunning it and drifting about everywhere, as after a while the ESC Inoperative message came on and I THOUGHT it'd gone into limp mode so I immediately shut off the car. I turned the ignition back on, and the ESC message was still present. I thought I'd ruined something.

NOPE!

The wheel wells were jammed full of snow, more so than they looked. The rear wells were especially bad, they were almost hard packed with snow. I used an ice scraper to clear them out, then drove the car 10 feet and the ESC warning switched off and all was okay. Whew.

So, if you get this message on a particularly snowy day, your wheel wells are packed with snow. You'll probably have to spend some time going sideways for it to happen, it didn't happen all day driving normally on snowy roads. Just thought I'd mention!

Last edited by Funkwagen; 11-20-2014 at 08:39 AM.