C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Mercedes c300 Aux fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mercedes C300
Talking Mercedes c300 Aux fix

So i was messing around with my 2009 c300 trying to get a good set up going for aux, wasted so much money on ebay iphone conversions cables that didnt work and the quality was horibble until i found something hidden in my passenger glove box panel

Panel come off very easily pull from the bottom is held on 2 clips i believe.

So the aux cable was hidden -_-

I pulled out the iPhone cable because who has a iPhone 4 anymore common lol

Aux cable clicked in place and i hid the old iPhone cable out of sight.

bammm aux went to Walgreens got a 6 ft aux cable for $7.99 compared the sound quality to Sirius and aux seemed to sound a bit better over all sound to iPhone cable 10x better hoped it help yall !!!
Old 03-28-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
I'm glad the solution was easy for you!

I already had the aux cable in place when I bought the car, but I found that compared to CD, Radio and Ipod connector, the sound was very very low. I had to purchase a portable amplifier to get the same amount of sound and quality for the aux port.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:49 PM

2009 Mercedes C300
What kind of amplifier do you have if you don't mind me asking ?
Old 03-28-2015, 05:07 PM

C300 sport
Originally Posted by Mersic300
What kind of amplifier do you have if you don't mind me asking ?
I did some research before I made my purchase and chose the
FiiO E11 FiiO E11

It has very long battery life, and when I bought it, there was an extra battery pack in the combo.

The F11 I purchased cannot be used while charging. If I could do it again, I may have tried the cheaper E6, hidden it and had it run off the car's power. This way it would have been a very clean, and OEM like solution.

I currently have a mess of wires in my cup holder, and constantly need to turn the unit on to use it and off whenever I'm finished. I may just purchase the E6 or a comparable amp and install it nice and clean.

I can't fault the E11 for not fitting my specific and difficult requirements for OEM ease of use, but overall, as an amp it is amazing.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 AM

2008 c300 4matic Sport
If I was to purchase the E6 amp and run my Cool stream Duo Bluetooth into it would this resolve the significant volume difference between my blue tooth and normal radio?

Also I want everything in the glovebox so I don't have to mess with it so would you go with the E6 as you mentioned or another model?
Old 03-29-2015, 01:04 PM

C300 sport
I wouldn't really know much about the blutooth audio, but if you are planning on running the E6 in the glovebox, connected to the cars power, then it should work just as if you were connecting your phone directly through aux cable to the amp. The amp would simply be a middle man to boost the audio signal from ANY device going to the aux.

I did a lot of research years ago and I found that the E6 and E11 are decent enough bang for buck. There were a few different brands out there that weren't as well known or from smaller companies, some people would say they are better.

If I were to do this, I would just play it safe and get the E6 since I already had a good experience with the E11. My main concern with the E6 is that people didn't think it was loud enough of signal boost, the bass control was lacking and that the battery life sucks. Basically an all around worse amp than the E11, but the E11 cannot run while charging, and I don't want to dish out the cash for the Monte blanc, which is better than the E11 and supports use while charging I think.

The amp doesn't need much power, so we can probably tap into any power wire, but the charging cable that came with the E11 is USB, so I think we'll have to find a cable with the same specs that isn't USB, or fabricate it to fit our needs.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:55 PM

2008 c300 4matic Sport
Firstly I appreciate the in depth response. I have the Cool stream duo currently powered by DC power via USB in the glovebox. Its connected to audio via aux so I plan on simple placing the E6 in line with the Duo. I also ordered a 24w dual USB dc connector so I can power the Duo and E6. I "think" that should be good. Will update Monday/Tuesday. Yay Amazon Prime!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:24 AM

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
Thanks Mersic and Rodpwnz and will042082 for the information in this thread. I plan to install an amplifier like the E6 once the power supply is sorted out. I thought USB puts out various amperages at 5 volts.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:13 PM

C300 sport
Originally Posted by will042082
Firstly I appreciate the in depth response. I have the Cool stream duo currently powered by DC power via USB in the glovebox. Its connected to audio via aux so I plan on simple placing the E6 in line with the Duo. I also ordered a 24w dual USB dc connector so I can power the Duo and E6. I "think" that should be good. Will update Monday/Tuesday. Yay Amazon Prime!
Originally Posted by codeblue5007
Thanks Mersic and Rodpwnz and will042082 for the information in this thread. I plan to install an amplifier like the E6 once the power supply is sorted out. I thought USB puts out various amperages at 5 volts.
Guys, this community has helped me so much. Much more than they may even realize, so I try to help when I can. You guys are very welcome.

Will, that sounds like a spectacular plan. I did remember we had a DC outlet in the glove box but I guess it slipped my mind. I just tried to charge the E11 while using and it wouldn't even allow itself to turn on while charging ...disappointing, especially from such a great amp that cost twice as much as the E6. Please let me know how it all works out, including the performance with your bluetooth device. I may be interested in a similar or same setup with no wires!

Codeblue, I am going to wait to see what Will's experience is with the amp and the DC outlet, it seems that it was working well with just the bluetooth device, so I'm hoping the same will be true for the amp. I'm tempted to just go through with it myself now anyways!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:46 PM

2008 c300 4matic Sport
The Cool stream Duo works great via the DC outlet currently. I bought a dual USB 24w plug and I'm hoping its enough to power both. I get everything tomorrow so I'll update everyone then and I'll link to the exact item if all works as well as planned.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:51 PM

C300 sport
The Cool stream Duo works great via the DC outlet currently. I bought a dual USB 24w plug and I'm hoping its enough to power both. I get everything tomorrow so I'll update everyone then and I'll link to the exact item if all works as well as planned.
I forgot to mention earlier: How does the bluetooth for music work when using bluetooth for calls also? Does it just route all audio via bluetooth? So you don't connect to the MB bluetooth system? Only to the cool stream duo?
Old 03-30-2015, 10:08 PM

2008 c300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by Rodpwnz
I forgot to mention earlier: How does the bluetooth for music work when using bluetooth for calls also? Does it just route all audio via bluetooth? So you don't connect to the MB bluetooth system? Only to the cool stream duo?
My phone is actually connected to both. They have different profiles. MB for phone then the Coolstream for audio.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 PM

C300 sport
My phone is actually connected to both. They have different profiles. MB for phone then the Coolstream for audio.
What device do you have, if you don't mind me asking? I have an LG G3.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:31 AM

2008 c300 4matic Sport
Its a Nexus 5 so your phone should definitely be capable of doing so as well
Old 03-31-2015, 05:17 PM

2008 c300 4matic Sport
Alright guys, here's my update as promised and I have great news. It works like a champ. The volume difference between my aux/bluetooth and radio is very minimal unlike my original issue which I had to max volume to hear anything via aux/bluetooth.

My setup:
CoolStream Duo $29.99
Amazon.com: CoolStream Duo. Bluetooth Adapter / Bluetooth Receiver; accessories for iPhone, Samsung, Nokia, HTC, LG, Motorola; for Music Docking Stations, Motorcycles, Car Stereos: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: CoolStream Duo. Bluetooth Adapter / Bluetooth Receiver; accessories for iPhone, Samsung, Nokia, HTC, LG, Motorola; for Music Docking Stations, Motorcycles, Car Stereos: MP3 Players & Accessories

FiiO E6 Amp $27.99
Amazon.com: FiiO E6 Portable Headphone Amplifier - Black: Electronics Amazon.com: FiiO E6 Portable Headphone Amplifier - Black: Electronics

Dual USB DC plug $7.99
Amazon.com: iXCC® Dual USB 4.8 Amp (24 Watt) SMART Universal High Capacity [High Power] [Small Size] FAST Car charger with Exclusive ChargeWise (tm) Technology, for Apple iPhone 4/4s/5s/ 5c/ 5/ 6/ 6 Plus; iPad Air/Air 2, iPad Air mini/mini 3; Samsung Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8); Fire Phone; Google Nexus and More [Navy]: Electronics Amazon.com: iXCC® Dual USB 4.8 Amp (24 Watt) SMART Universal High Capacity [High Power] [Small Size] FAST Car charger with Exclusive ChargeWise (tm) Technology, for Apple iPhone 4/4s/5s/ 5c/ 5/ 6/ 6 Plus; iPad Air/Air 2, iPad Air mini/mini 3; Samsung Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8); Fire Phone; Google Nexus and More [Navy]: Electronics

Both devices are powered via the USB/DC plug in the glovebox. The CoolStream Duo plugs into the FiiO E6 and it in turn goes into the AUX connection in the glovebox.

In short I'm very pleased with the results!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:15 PM

C300 sport
Alright guys, here's my update as promised and I have great news. It works like a champ. The volume difference between my aux/bluetooth and radio is very minimal unlike my original issue which I had to max volume to hear anything via aux/bluetooth.

My setup:
CoolStream Duo $29.99
Amazon.com: CoolStream Duo. Bluetooth Adapter / Bluetooth Receiver; accessories for iPhone, Samsung, Nokia, HTC, LG, Motorola; for Music Docking Stations, Motorcycles, Car Stereos: MP3 Players & Accessories

FiiO E6 Amp $27.99
Amazon.com: FiiO E6 Portable Headphone Amplifier - Black: Electronics

Dual USB DC plug $7.99
Amazon.com: iXCC® Dual USB 4.8 Amp (24 Watt) SMART Universal High Capacity [High Power] [Small Size] FAST Car charger with Exclusive ChargeWise (tm) Technology, for Apple iPhone 4/4s/5s/ 5c/ 5/ 6/ 6 Plus; iPad Air/Air 2, iPad Air mini/mini 3; Samsung Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8); Fire Phone; Google Nexus and More [Navy]: Electronics

Both devices are powered via the USB/DC plug in the glovebox. The CoolStream Duo plugs into the FiiO E6 and it in turn goes into the AUX connection in the glovebox.

In short I'm very pleased with the results!

I am very happy to hear about your results! Thank you for the update! I am most definitely going through with it! I frequently have passengers who want to play DJ, so I'll stick with the aux cable for now, but since the cool stream worked so well for you, I may just give that a try for an entirely seamless setup.

Btw, do you notice any increase in sound quality after using the amp? The E11 made my music sound considerably better imo.

Last edited by Rodpwnz; 03-31-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:29 PM

2008 c300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by Rodpwnz
I am very happy to hear about your results! Thank you for the update! I am most definitely going through with it! I frequently have passengers who want to play DJ, so I'll stick with the aux cable for now, but since the cool stream worked so well for you, I may just give that a try for an entirely seamless setup.

Btw, do you notice any increase in sound quality after using the amp? The E11 made my music sound considerably better imo.
Rod, I want to say yes but truthfully I tested it after I got home and installed it. I haven't driven around jamming just yet. Let me update you tomorrow after a lil time with it
Old 03-31-2015, 06:30 PM

Rodpwnz, why do you need the coolstream duo bluetooth adapter? I assume you are connecting to the HU via bluetooth? Wouldn't you get better sound quality just amplifying the output from the AUX plug in the glovebox with the E6 and plug your iPhone/Android MP3 player into the E6?
Old 03-31-2015, 07:09 PM

C300 sport
Rod, I want to say yes but truthfully I tested it after I got home and installed it. I haven't driven around jamming just yet. Let me update you tomorrow after a lil time with it
Thanks Will, take your time, no need to rush an update.

Rodpwnz, why do you need the coolstream duo bluetooth adapter? I assume you are connecting to the HU via bluetooth? Wouldn't you get better sound quality just amplifying the output from the AUX plug in the glovebox with the E6 and plug your iPhone/Android MP3 player into the E6?

I have been essentially connecting my device via aux into my E11 amplifier, and then from the E11 amp to the Aux port in my glovebox. The sound quality is the best it can because I'm using a wire, but I unfortunately have a mess of wires in my cupholder AND I have to turn my amp on and off repeatedly. If I got the E6, I would just have a single aux cable coming from my glovebox, and I would plug in and be ready for music. I would still have my bluetooth connected to the MB HU for calls only.

The bluetooth adapter would be for music only. I can only use the MB HU bluetooth for calls, I cannot use the MB HU for bluetooth music. If I were to get the cool stream, it would allow me to cleanly and wirelessly stream my music via AUX, without worrying about any cables.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I gather it comes down to eliminating the mess of wires and turning the amp on and off. I experimented with bluetooth tuned to an FM station in a Mercedes 203 and the sound quality was horrible. Fortunately, someone in that forum found out that the Mercedes 203 (a 2006 model) had an AUX cable that ran under the passenger side door sill and I patched into that. The 204 model took the next logical step of connecting that AUX cable to the plug in the glovebox. Slow progress. It would be more convenient somewhere in the front fascia or console.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:07 PM

2008 c300 4matic Sport
I'm sure an audiophile out there will gladly tell us that audio via bluetooth or aux has their fair share of quality loss but I just spent about 45 min in the car driving around running some errands and the quality is fine to me. The amp increased the sound in terms of volume and quality and that was exactly what I was hoping. Yes I could run an Aux cable through to my console but Bluetooth w/o a wire is great for me. The majority of times to/from work I'm listening to Howard Stern anyways and the occassional jam session it's definitely sufficient for my needs.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:30 AM

C300 sport
Thanks for the explanation. I gather it comes down to eliminating the mess of wires and turning the amp on and off. I experimented with bluetooth tuned to an FM station in a Mercedes 203 and the sound quality was horrible. Fortunately, someone in that forum found out that the Mercedes 203 (a 2006 model) had an AUX cable that ran under the passenger side door sill and I patched into that. The 204 model took the next logical step of connecting that AUX cable to the plug in the glovebox. Slow progress. It would be more convenient somewhere in the front fascia or console.
Exactly that Codeblue, It would be much cleaner and much more seamless. Pretty futuristic if you ask me! If I had only E6 in glovebox, then I would have a single wire coming out to connect my device. If I had E6 AND cool stream, then I would simply just select my music and play. If you don't mind, I may PM you about more information about tapping into that AUX wire in the W203.

The bluetooth adapter you used was a similar FM radio setup as a friends of mine. You need to pick a frequency that is fairly unused, which can be difficult, and even then there is lots of interference. I agree with you that it is flawed, but that is not due to the Bluetooth technology, but rather, the radio stereo method. But I'm sure you already knew that.

I'm sure an audiophile out there will gladly tell us that audio via bluetooth or aux has their fair share of quality loss but I just spent about 45 min in the car driving around running some errands and the quality is fine to me. The amp increased the sound in terms of volume and quality and that was exactly what I was hoping. Yes I could run an Aux cable through to my console but Bluetooth w/o a wire is great for me. The majority of times to/from work I'm listening to Howard Stern anyways and the occassional jam session it's definitely sufficient for my needs.
I am by no means an audiophile, and my music is generally in MP3 format or limited to 192 kbps bitrate. But any static, hissing or cracking of my audio will bug the hell out of me. I'm aware that with bluetooth 3.0, 4.0 and a2dp, bandwidth is more than adequate for high quality audio streaming, and range within 5 feet, even inside a glovebox, should be ok. so nowadays there shouldn't be any issues, but I'll take this setup in steps. First I'll do the E6, and then I'll do the bluetooth if I feel the need. Your information was incredibly helpful.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:33 AM

Thanks Rodpwnz and will042082 for all the information. I wasn't aware that bluetooth technology had advanced to the point of being as good as a hardwired connection to the AUX. I will buy the E6, as I'm getting tired of listening to my Coldplay CD on my short commute.

As for the W203 AUX, I used bought the infamous white clip to connect to the buried AUX cable and my wife has been happily using it for music and audiobooks on her long commute.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:00 PM

C300 sport
Unfortunately, the E6 setup hasn't been working the way I wanted. I charge it and plug it into the aux, But if I leave it on in the glovebox over night, the battery will die and the device does not turn back on by itself when I start the car the next day. Thus, I have to pull it out of the glovebox and start it up again, AND turn the volume up again because it always starts at low volume.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:20 PM

Thanks for testing the E6 and reporting the problem. I am pretty sure the 12V plug in the glovebox only turns on when the key is in and turns on the accessories or starts. I have the remote for my little sub connected to it for that reason -- or otherwise I'd be draining the battery overnight too by drawing current from the hot lead I tapped into. I suspect something else is going on.