C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Newbie need help with DRL...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C200
Question Newbie need help with DRL...

Hi All,

I just picked up a 2013 C200 yesterday and can't figure out how to turn on the LED DRL (under headlights). The car came with halogen lights (not bi xenon model). Light switch is on AUTO, and I have tried turning on and off the daytime driving light from dash menu - LED still not turning on. The LED lights seem to work when I lock the car (I understand it is the surround light setting). Any ideas?

Thanks all!

Last edited by leicatime; 04-15-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 2012 C300
DRL's are behaving exactly like their name suggests 'DAYLIGHT running lights'

If you've got your headlights set to AUTO, they're coming on when the light sensor deems it's dark enough - ie. it's night time and you no longer need DRL's.

DRL's are for visibility during daylight hours. Not for vision at night - that's what your headlights are for.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S
thats wrong. DRLs run all the time. if they don't, then something is wrong.

headlight switch on AUTO should run DRLs ALL the time, regardless of ambient light.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
With halogen lights the led strip will turn off when the headlights come on. With xenons the led strip remains on with the headlights but they are dimmed to make them legal. They are called Daytime Running Lights for a reason.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chrisdean
With halogen lights the led strip will turn off when the headlights come on. With xenons the led strip remains on with the headlights but they are dimmed to make them legal. They are called Daytime Running Lights for a reason.
even with halogens, DRLs are still on... it just dims...
Old 04-15-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by MJ50
even with halogens, DRLs are still on... it just dims...
I can only speak for the UK,not US.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:22 PM

2013 C200
Thank you all. It has been couudy and raining here, so headlights have been on. Will wait until it's sunny and hope that the LED works. I was curious if there's some sort of control or switch for them to work.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
Originally Posted by SMOKEY300
DRL's are behaving exactly like their name suggests 'DAYLIGHT running lights'

If you've got your headlights set to AUTO, they're coming on when the light sensor deems it's dark enough - ie. it's night time and you no longer need DRL's.

DRL's are for visibility during daylight hours. Not for vision at night - that's what your headlights are for.
The LED DRL's on W204's are supposed to come on whenever the car is on, unless you've chosen for them to be off through the driver information center. With the lights in AUTO mode, when the headlights come on, the DRL's should stay on, but at a reduced intensity. The DRL's should go off if you manually turn on the parking lights.

I'm basing the above on a US market vehicle though.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S
yeah, DRLs run all the time.

im not sure what this option is for, but i know there is an option in the center console under vehicle settings about "surround lighting" or something. Maybe that controls DRLs in some regard?
Old 04-16-2015, 04:08 AM

2013 C200
Apologies, still not getting it. So do i need "daytime driving lights" ON or OFF to get led DRL ON? Not clear if the option controls headlights or led DRL. Tried both during the day and results always headlights ON, DRL OFF.

Starting to think they might be faulty.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:57 PM

W204 2012 C300
Originally Posted by W57thNY
The LED DRL's on W204's are supposed to come on whenever the car is on, unless you've chosen for them to be off through the driver information center. With the lights in AUTO mode, when the headlights come on, the DRL's should stay on, but at a reduced intensity. The DRL's should go off if you manually turn on the parking lights.

I'm basing the above on a US market vehicle though.

Perhaps that's the difference - mine is obviously Australian delivery, but I can assure you that the DRL's are off when the headlights are on.

Have been paying attention during my home commute since seeing this thread and have noted both pre and post facelift w204's with their headlights on at night have the DRL strip off.

It's probably something to do with our ADR's. I know there is a rule about maximum number of forward facing lights.

Not sure where OP lives but that may be a consideration.

I know for example, with my X5 we have DRL coded off - but in Canada it's coded ON. You can go in through software and change the settings for the LCM, it's not hard. So I'm sure you could do the same with equivalent software for MB.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:43 PM

2013 C200
Oh, I'm based in melbourne myself mate!
Perhaps that's the difference - mine is obviously Australian delivery, but I can assure you that the DRL's are off when the headlights are on.

Have been paying attention during my home commute since seeing this thread and have noted both pre and post facelift w204's with their headlights on at night have the DRL strip off.

It's probably something to do with our ADR's. I know there is a rule about maximum number of forward facing lights.

I know for example, with my X5 we have DRL coded off - but in Canada it's coded ON. You can go in through software and change the settings for the LCM, it's not hard. So I'm sure you could do the same with equivalent software for MB.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:49 PM

W204 2012 C300
Originally Posted by leicatime
Oh, I'm based in melbourne myself mate!
Ah well that explains everything then!

ADR 76/00 says the following:

Daytime running lights
1. A pair of daytime running lights may be fitted to a motor vehicle.
2. A pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor vehicle must be fitted with the centre of each light:
(a) at least 600mm from the centre of the other light; and
(b) not over 510mm from the nearer side of the vehicle.
3. However, a pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor vehicle
under 1300mm wide may be fitted with the centre of each light not
under 400mm from the centre of the other light.
4. When on, a daytime running light must:
(a) show a white or yellow light visible from the front of the vehicle;
and
(b) not use over 25W.

Daytime running lights must be wired so they are off when a headlight, other than a headlight being used as a flashing signal, is on.

So it's normal*

*For Australia.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:17 AM

2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic

Just for fun, I went to check my car.
Here's the DRL behaviour that i noticed on my car.

In all cases, my motor was running.

Lights OFF, switch in AUTO position - DRL's on full intensity
Lights ON, switch in AUTO position - DRL's on reduced intensity
Lights switched ON manually - DRL's off
Parking lights manually switched on - DRL's off

Through the driver information center, the DRL's can be completely turned off. I believe Canadian cars are coded a little differently since DRL's are mandatory there.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:37 PM

Are any of your cars fitted with the xenon/ILS package (Intelligent Light System)? By the way, the only time my DRL's go off is when I switch on the rear fog light.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by chrisdean
Are any of your cars fitted with the xenon/ILS package (Intelligent Light System)? By the way, the only time my DRL's go off is when I switch on the rear fog light.
First off, yes, my car does have xenon lighting with the adaptive lights. My DRL's stay on (at reduced intensity) when I turn on the rear fog light. Also, my lights (if not on already) will turn on when I press the rear fog light button.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:38 PM

W204 2012 C300
Mine has ILS xenon also - I think what can be established is that the drls are coded to work differently for different market regions.

OP is in Australia, as am I - and mine behave the exact same way, and every other w204 I have observed is the same - so the issue is resolved.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:14 PM

W204 2012 C300
Soooo....I'm a douche.

Had a C350 coupe following me lastnight, and lo and behold = the DRLs were on at the same time as the Bi-Xenons.

Was picking up the GF so when I arrived I jumped out of the car....and....my DRL's were on too.

Admittedly, at a dimmed level. Lights were set to AUTO.

So - I was wrong - and OP, you may have an issue. Sorry for the misinformation all!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:45 PM

C300
Originally Posted by W57thNY

Lights OFF, switch in AUTO position - DRL's on full intensity
Lights ON, switch in AUTO position - DRL's on reduced intensity
Lights switched ON manually - DRL's off
Parking lights manually switched on - DRL's off
Do you have HIDs? My wife's 2013 C300 has HIDs and does the same thing you described except I thought the DRLs stay on all the time. If the low-beams are on, whether the switch is on Auto or manually, the DRLs should be dimmed. If the switch is turned to the Parking lights (turn counter-clockwise all the way), no lights come on at all. Our local MB dealer says this behavior is by design. I've been doing some searches but can't find a definitive answer on this. I'll check my in-laws' cars this weekend and see what theirs do.