C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Becker MapPilot finally fixed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C
Thumbs up Becker MapPilot finally fixed

Hi

Long time reader of the forum, had to sign up to share my struggle with the Becker navigation module in case someone else is also having trouble with it.

I have a two year old C with the original MapPilot module in the glove compartment. Sometime ago it started acting up, crashing, rebooting, just not working. Sometimes it would not start when I started the car, but would come back to life after a while. It just kept "activating navigation module" and going back to the Becker logo. Needless to say it was damn frustrating.

I suspected there might be something wrong with the internal battery of the module as it seemed to charge after driving for a while. Not sure if that was the case. I didn't want to buy a new module so I tried finding a new battery for it but the dealership I ordered the car from wasn't helpful.

I tried plugging it into a PC and a Mac with the latest content manager to update it. It never worked and always crashed at some point.

I tried to fix it myself but got fed up with using the built in screen to hold my phone running navigation. I finally got a hold of customer service for Becker. The rep mentioned that there is a three year warranty on the module and Mercedes has to deal with it. Something that the dealership apparently forgot to mention when I described the problem while looking for the battery.

Knowing this I demanded the dealership takes care of it rather than just trying to update it. They were convinced an update would still fix it but after my car was in the shop for two days (they must've really worked on it) they installed a brand new module for free.

Just wanted to share the story if it helps someone with Becker problems and because I'm happy to finally get it working again!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 C250
^^^Congrats! Glad you got it up and running.
Shouldn't take 2 days for the dealer to slapped in a BMP module replacement. Hope they gave you a loaner?

For the past 2 years, I use portable Navi. But the thought of having an integrated Navi prompted me to buy a NIB BMP module for cheap. Unfortunately for me, it was shipped loaded with 2014 EU maps by default. Took me 2 hours to dld and update the firmware and installed Q313 NA map via laggy interface. For those in the need to know, there isn't a BMP NA map update since Oct 2013 release.

So far, BMP is working fine for me. Except, for the non-functional PTT or voice control. Content Manager wouldn't allow me to dld the latest software. I don't have NA voice package but EU and therefore, I have to live with EU accent/pronunciation which I don't mind.

I am not begging but wish I knew someone willing to share their BMP backup or NA voice package rather than me getting another unit.

The BMP supplied USB cable is a joke. Use a USB cable fitted with noise suppressor to establish a solid communication with PC.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by C0d3Sp4c3
^^^Congrats! Glad you got it up and running.
Shouldn't take 2 days for the dealer to slapped in a BMP module replacement. Hope they gave you a loaner?

For the past 2 years, I use portable Navi. But the thought of having an integrated Navi prompted me to buy a NIB BMP module for cheap. Unfortunately for me, it was shipped loaded with 2014 EU maps by default. Took me 2 hours to dld and update the firmware and installed Q313 NA map via laggy interface. For those in the need to know, there isn't a BMP NA map update since Oct 2013 release.

So far, BMP is working fine for me. Except, for the non-functional PTT or voice control. Content Manager wouldn't allow me to dld the latest software. I don't have NA voice package but EU and therefore, I have to live with EU accent/pronunciation which I don't mind.

I am not begging but wish I knew someone willing to share their BMP backup or NA voice package rather than me getting another unit.

The BMP supplied USB cable is a joke. Use a USB cable fitted with noise suppressor to establish a solid communication with PC.
Looks like they may have just updated the maps for BMP. Judging by the way they titled it they only update them every two years.

https://www.beckermappilot.com/shop/...america-na&v=3
Old 06-05-2015, 11:26 AM

2013 C300
$100 for map updates is expensive, isn't it? I mean, free NAV apps on a phone come out all the time. Wish there was a way to share the update.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:29 AM

2014 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by joeyvaz
$100 for map updates is expensive, isn't it? I mean, free NAV apps on a phone come out all the time. Wish there was a way to share the update.
Depends on your view... Comand Map Updates are $250 so $100 is a decent discount in comparison...

No one is forcing you to buy map updates or built in Navigation at all. You can always use the cheaper option if you want. It is akin to arguing that the iPhone 6 is overpriced when you can get a Windows Phone for $30 and no contract. Price isn't the only factor...
Old 06-05-2015, 11:42 AM

2013 C300
Originally Posted by LogicalApex
Depends on your view... Comand Map Updates are $250 so $100 is a decent discount in comparison...

No one is forcing you to buy map updates or built in Navigation at all. You can always use the cheaper option if you want. It is akin to arguing that the iPhone 6 is overpriced when you can get a Windows Phone for $30 and no contract. Price isn't the only factor...
Thanks for the input, I would never have known I am not forced to update my maps without you letting me know

Regardless, $250 is ridiculous and $100 is still a lot. Especially, if you consider that others give map up grades for free (Like my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited gets from Chrysler.) That's the point I was trying to make.

PS
Sorry for the thread jacking, no more replies from me on your thread.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:31 PM

2014 C300 Luxury
Thanks for the input, I would never have known I am not forced to update my maps without you letting me know

Regardless, $250 is ridiculous and $100 is still a lot. Especially, if you consider that others give map up grades for free (Like my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited gets from Chrysler.) That's the point I was trying to make.

PS
Mercedes appears to have countered this with 3 years of free updates for 2015 and later model cars. Which is nice. Maps cost money so they have to be paid somewhere.

I don't see the map update cost as extreme for my Comand system, but we can agree to disagree.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:02 PM

C

PS
it's cool just hoping to get the word out about the warranty if someone else has trouble too. It didn't even come to mind that the warranty might be three years long.

Now I'd like to install the Darth Vader voices from Beckers online store but I'm afraid I might break it again!
Old 06-06-2015, 10:51 AM

C350
I don't even use mine anymore. I just bought an iPhone 6 Plus and a decent dash mount and use Waze all the time now. The BMP interface is awful and the traffic data is almost worthless. The 6 Plus and Waze is great - it usually takes me on some pretty wonky routes but I get to where I'm going pretty quickly. Also, with the phone connected to bluetooth, I get turn-by-turn directions over the speakers just like with the integrated nav.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:07 PM

2013 C250
Originally Posted by LogicalApex
Looks like they may have just updated the maps for BMP. Judging by the way they titled it they only update them every two years.

https://www.beckermappilot.com/shop/...america-na&v=3
Thank you so much for the heads up. I have been tinkering with my BMP since I first installed it in the car. The content Manager wouldn't offer the latest V5 NA map.

I had to clicked on download, toggle my location, removed NA map, install at least one EU map and whalah...CM finally offered the latest NA map. I am still within the 60 days since first used on the car, so NP.

Now it's just a game of waiting for me. Bandwidth in my area is very limited. Again, thank you

Your post on the other thread encouraged me to snagged one of this BMP. If you bought a sealed NIB BMP, then you have 60 days free updates.

I'm positive, data can be shared and manipulated outside CM interface except for firmware and software. Hang in there!
Old 06-06-2015, 05:34 PM

C
Originally Posted by ElJayBird
I don't even use mine anymore. I just bought an iPhone 6 Plus and a decent dash mount and use Waze all the time now. The BMP interface is awful and the traffic data is almost worthless. The 6 Plus and Waze is great - it usually takes me on some pretty wonky routes but I get to where I'm going pretty quickly. Also, with the phone connected to bluetooth, I get turn-by-turn directions over the speakers just like with the integrated nav.
I used HERE maps before, love the free offline navigation they provide but I prefer using the wheel and voice control to operate navigation. Becker can be annoying to use, like most built in car navigators are. Slow and laggy. The new module I got with updated software is a huge improvement tho. The map and interface are much faster and smoother than before.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:46 PM

2013 C250
Success! The latest NA map package Version 2015/2016 V5.0 is actually "Navteq 2014/Q3".

Originally Posted by jetacelogan
I used HERE maps before, love the free offline navigation they provide but I prefer using the wheel and voice control to operate navigation. Becker can be annoying to use, like most built in car navigators are. Slow and laggy. The new module I got with updated software is a huge improvement tho. The map and interface are much faster and smoother than before.
Do you have type M014? What's your device software version, if I may ask?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:28 PM

C
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by C0d3Sp4c3
Success! The latest NA map package Version 2015/2016 V5.0 is actually "Navteq 2014/Q3".

Do you have type M014? What's your device software version, if I may ask?
I'll check next time I'm at the car.

I thought I spoke too soon about this being fixed. Started the car and the location on the map was the last location I drove home from! Not even last known location, but for some reason the last place I started the car.

It said it's connected to 4 satellites and the signal is ok. Still the marker didn't move after driving for a while. I know it takes some time when leaving the underground parking but now it stayed like this for 10 minutes. Only after I unplugged the module for a while it started to work. It connected to 9 satellites and showed current location.

Have to keep an eye on that and take it back if it does it every time...
Old 07-24-2015, 07:23 PM

C
Back to the shop it went. I started getting messages "Becker internal battery is missing" and "navigation module disconnected" when starting the car. Taking the unit out and plugging it back in fixed the issue but was annoying to do every time.

It turned out the dock part in the car was somehow broken, wires had to be changed. They ordered a new part and changed the dock and the module again. Now it seems to be working.

If there's someone struggling with this, check the dock as well. It was all free under the 3 year warranty from Becker, even when the warranty for the car is only 2.

edit: started the car now and got error message "internal battery missing or defective" what the hell! can this be just that the battery is empty because it's a new module?

Last edited by jetacelogan; 07-25-2015 at 04:21 PM.