C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

tcu reset

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2015 | 12:18 PM

2014 Mercedes Benz C 300 4matic
tcu reset

Hello Everyone,

I AM NOT A CAR GUY, so my knowledge is moderate.

So I followed all the steps mentioned on the forums to reset my 2014 C300 TCU to factory settings by following the steps below:

All windows, sunroof, trunk, etc were closed and the car is locked initially. I walk up to it, press the unlock button, get in the driver's seat and do the following. (I did mine at operating engine temperature just to make sure, so I drove around then I proceeded towards shutting off the engine, stepped out of my car, locked it, unlocked it, got into the driver's seat LOL)

1) Key on second position till lights turn on, on the dash.
2) Push accelerator all the way in till it clicks and hold it there for about 5 to 8 seconds.
3) Turn key back to off position (I still held it for another 5 seconds before lifting my foot off of the accelerator)
4) Lift foot off of the accelerator
5) Sit inside for about 2 to 3 minutes till it resets while the key is still in the off position (facebook on your phone to distract from the heat lol)
6) Off position to starting the engine and VOILA!

IN COMFORT, CAR PICKED FASTER with my leg depressing about half the accelerator. Cruising speed of 60km/hr and by giving a little more gas, the car significantly picked faster as opposed to flooring it.

SPORT, the car responded much much faster. I did not floor the vehicle at all(accelerator click)

PUSH start, my friend's 2011 C350
1) Push button once, then push it again without pressing on the brakes (the navigation slides out on the second button press and all lights on dash turn on)
2) Push accelerator all the way in till it clicks for about 5 to 8 seconds.
3) Push the push start button once (I still held it for another 5 seconds before lifting my foot off of the accelerator)
4) Lift foot off of the accelerator
5) Sit inside for about 3 to 4 minutes till it resets
6) Push brakes and then start it

IN COMFORT, CAR PICKED FASTER with my leg depressing about half the accelerator. Cruising speed of 60km/hr and by giving a little more gas, the car significantly picked faster as opposed to flooring it.

SPORT, the car responded much much faster. I did not floor the vehicle at all(accelerator click)

My friend was not satisfied so I disconnected his battery's negative terminal for about 5 minutes then reconnected it. He felt the difference then.

BUT, I'm still wondering if its just psychological or not?

So, is there a way I could do something that guarantees it? Disconnecting the battery or pulling a fuse of some sort as I read on the internet?

I want a definite method, that if I follow those given steps, 110% the car will reset to factory "aggressive" mode.

Sorry for the long read, but it helps guys looking for the methods!!

Last edited by Rock; 08-01-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-31-2015 | 01:26 PM

2010 C350 Sport
The only thing guaranteed is how annoying your thread titles can be.

Otherwise no, the system does not give any confirmation. It may when connected to STAR Diagnostics through some status menu but nothing on the vehicle itself. It's just a quick "soft reset" that puts the transmission back into learning mode. For 40 or so gear changes it relearns your driving style. The reason it feels different at first is because it's back to the default profile that it gets at the factory.
Old 07-31-2015 | 01:36 PM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Shimee
The only thing guaranteed is how annoying your thread titles can be.

Otherwise no, the system does not give any confirmation. It may when connected to STAR Diagnostics through some status menu but nothing on the vehicle itself. It's just a quick "soft reset" that puts the transmission back into learning mode. For 40 or so gear changes it relearns your driving style. The reason it feels different at first is because it's back to the default profile that it gets at the factory.
^+1
Old 08-01-2015 | 03:23 AM

2016 S550
Agreed with the title bull****. Please don't turn the forum info craigslist ad titles trying to grab attention.

This reset you performed is temporary. Once your transmission learns your driving style, it'll feel just like before.

Also, there is no additional acceleration from comfort mode vs sport if you're flooring it. Sport mode doesn't magically boost your engine output. It merely delays your shift points to shift at higher rpm; allowing higher revs between gear changes.
Old 08-01-2015 | 10:18 AM

Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
So for someone like me who does not switch between CS, it seems to be on Comfort mode all the time. Is it worth it for me to do this reset? My C300 is used which I recently picked up. Was wondering if its worth the time for me to do it.
Old 08-01-2015 | 12:44 PM

My humble apologies for posting with the Stars. I wanted a quick reply that's all. But yes I do understand there's no increase in performance, rather just a quicker throttle response. It is worth doing it if the car is bought used. I did mine because since I purchased it I did notice the throttle wasn't responding as good as it used to the day I drove it out of the showroom.

I just want it at maximum at all times without it adapting to my style of driving. I may be resetting it a lot more that I feel the difference lol.

Now, it's very noticeable but I just wanted a solid way to confirm if the TCU has been reset or not. Appreciate everyone's feedback but I'd still like to know if there's any way to confirm it other than taking it to the dealership.

Again, my apologies for the title and I won't be doing so further on
Old 08-03-2015 | 08:41 AM

So I just went ahead and tried this yesterday. I think I messed up the first time because someone opened the door during my 2-3 minutes, lol.

So I just repeated the whole process again and not sure if its psychological or not, but there does seem to be a better "kick" in the driving. Keep in mind I have it on C (Comfort Mode) all the time.
Old 08-03-2015 | 11:03 AM

2009 C300 4 Matic sport
TCU Reset was by far the best news I've come to use on this forum! Thanks a ton,huge results performing the reset! I absolutely love this site!
Old 08-04-2015 | 03:01 PM

W304 C350 2010
There is an indication of success...

If you have done the steps correctly and (important) you are in a very quiet location, at about the 2 minute point, you'll be able to hear the adjustments being made. It sounds like 3 to 5 seconds of quiet, non-threatening grinding. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2015 | 04:06 PM

2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
I think that sound you hear is the AC vents either closing or opening (not sure which..) and the fan stops circulating air. Some things stay on after you turn off the car for a little bit
Old 08-05-2015 | 08:18 AM

2014 C300
Originally Posted by gnueliafnak
So I just went ahead and tried this yesterday. I think I messed up the first time because someone opened the door during my 2-3 minutes, lol.

So I just repeated the whole process again and not sure if its psychological or not, but there does seem to be a better "kick" in the driving. Keep in mind I have it on C (Comfort Mode) all the time.
Why don't you try Sport mode?
Old 08-05-2015 | 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by DapperStyle
Why don't you try Sport mode?
tbh, first time owning a MB and I have no clue what is the difference and how it works. I remember the dealer guy telling me to just leave it on Comfort mode and that If I don't know what I'm doing switching to Sport would damage the car.
Old 08-05-2015 | 01:26 PM

2014 C300
Originally Posted by gnueliafnak
tbh, first time owning a MB and I have no clue what is the difference and how it works. I remember the dealer guy telling me to just leave it on Comfort mode and that If I don't know what I'm doing switching to Sport would damage the car.
Okay let's apply some logic here, why would MB provide a Sport mode button next to the shifter if it will damage the vehicle? The answer is they wouldn't. Sport makes the car more aggressive by holding gears longer allowing you to get maximum performance. Enjoy your car and all the features it has to offer. It works by pressing S to enable Sport mode and just putting your foot on the accelerator.
Old 08-05-2015 | 02:01 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

1999 E300TD
But the key point was made in post#4, regardless of mode BS or HS the transmissions control unit is designed to learn and retain your driving patterns---all the rest resides between your ears and in the palm of your hand!!
Old 08-07-2015 | 11:35 AM

2011 C300 4Matic
Wow.. Its big improve responsive. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2015 | 12:01 PM

Okay let's apply some logic here, why would MB provide a Sport mode button next to the shifter if it will damage the vehicle? The answer is they wouldn't. Sport makes the car more aggressive by holding gears longer allowing you to get maximum performance. Enjoy your car and all the features it has to offer. It works by pressing S to enable Sport mode and just putting your foot on the accelerator.
I could not agree more! I thoroughly enjoy my car! I have exactly 35590km on it since I got it brand new and believe it or not, that is all in 12 months worth of city driving!

When people buy cars and park it in the garage to keep them clean and maintain the kilometers, I laugh! Why buy a car you dream of if you that is how it is going to be treated? I do not drive my vehicle in a rash manner and absolutely do not bag it but yes I will run out of the warranty sooner than I expect to.

Sport mode helps holds the gears and does not damage anything whatsoever. I usually maintain one mode since the first start of the car. If I am going to drive in comfort, I keep it at C till I turn the car off again. If I keep it on S, I do the same. I do not switch between the two while I am drive. It depends on my mood when I start the car and the route that I will be taking to work.
Old 08-07-2015 | 12:30 PM

2014 C300
Originally Posted by wellwisher1
I could not agree more! I thoroughly enjoy my car! I have exactly 35590km on it since I got it brand new and believe it or not, that is all in 12 months worth of city driving!

When people buy cars and park it in the garage to keep them clean and maintain the kilometers, I laugh! Why buy a car you dream of if you that is how it is going to be treated? I do not drive my vehicle in a rash manner and absolutely do not bag it but yes I will run out of the warranty sooner than I expect to.

Sport mode helps holds the gears and does not damage anything whatsoever. I usually maintain one mode since the first start of the car. If I am going to drive in comfort, I keep it at C till I turn the car off again. If I keep it on S, I do the same. I do not switch between the two while I am drive. It depends on my mood when I start the car and the route that I will be taking to work.
I'm the opposite. In city driving if I am cruising around I keep it in E mode (my 2014 has E and S no C mode) but if I am approaching an on ramp I will switch it to S and floor it onto the highway (sometimes I'll go a step further and drop it in manual mode and drop down to 3rd or 4th gear before I floor it). Once I am at highway speeds, comfortably in the left lane back into E mode and watch the RPMs drop as it jumps into 7th gear. The fact that someone would spend money on a C300 Sport but be afraid to put it in Sport Mode seems beyond silly and any salesman who would tell the person that it could damage the car is a moron. If a salesman told me that, I would've requested a new sales person as clearly this person is better off selling water heaters and not cars.

Last edited by DapperStyle; 08-07-2015 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
helvinrymer (10-18-2021)
Old 08-07-2015 | 01:52 PM

I'm the opposite. In city driving if I am cruising around I keep it in E mode (my 2014 has E and S no C mode) but if I am approaching an on ramp I will switch it to S and floor it onto the highway (sometimes I'll go a step further and drop it in manual mode and drop down to 3rd or 4th gear before I floor it). Once I am at highway speeds, comfortably in the left lane back into E mode and watch the RPMs drop as it jumps into 7th gear. The fact that someone would spend money on a C300 Sport but be afraid to put it in Sport Mode seems beyond silly and any salesman who would tell the person that it could damage the car is a moron. If a salesman told me that, I would've requested a new sales person as clearly this person is better off selling water heaters and not cars.
haha likewise are my thoughts. I do understand there is no damage to switching between the two modes while driving, but I just cannot put my car back on E mode once I switch it to sport.

I do downshifts too and it is more than enough power for my standards. Anything less I would've been unsatisfied, anything more would have been way too much.

But most definitely these cars are very beautifully engineered and built to last. I've had no problems driving it switching modes or downshifting since the day of ownership; let alone doing a few power slides once in a while during the winter with the traction turned off .