C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Blinking Bi-xenon / "Check low beam" error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
Blinking Bi-xenon / "Check low beam" error

I have a 2009 w204 with the premium 2 stock bi-xenon headlamps. My front right one is on the fritz (off 90% of the time) and I am getting the "check low beam" error on dash. No fuses are out, and the bulb seems to go on momentarily at each start, although it blinks then shuts off.

1) Are there any measures I can take to fix this before buying a new bulb?

2) Are Mercedes wholesale parts websites the place to get a genuine replacement for less than at the dealer?

3) if this is not the bulb, what else could it be, and how much of a repair could it amount to?

4) can I us a regular headlamp (non xenon) bulbs as a temporary replacement/tester?

My goal is to spend as least as possible on this repair.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I bought aftermarket HID's that came with a CARBUS ballast to prevent "blinking" lights. Your HID;s are OEM? could be that the ballast is going out. If it were the bulb, it would be out completely. I would take the route of buying an aftermarket CARBUS ballast. You can get a single one for as low as $30, but they usually sell them in pairs. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:55 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
Yes it is OEM HID from th premium package. I like the idea of replacing the ballast. A mercedes indie told me that the ballast is attached to the bulb and so a new bulb may be purchased.

1) is this true
2) any info on how to replace a ballast?

Any help is sincerely appreciated
Old 09-24-2015, 04:20 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Sounds like a bad bulb that just needs to be replaced. One thing you can do to confirm though is to swap your left and right bulb and see if the issue stays with the bulb or stays with the socket. If the issue follows the bulb, then yeah, replace the bulb. Otherwise, if it stays on the socket, you might have bigger power issues.

Ballast/igniters are integrated into your D1S xenon bulb so you're replacing everything as a unit.

If interested, we carry high end Morimoto D1S bulbs offered in 5000K pure white and 6000K white with a slight bluish hue.
http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...products_id=75
http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...products_id=74

5 year warranty and easy plug and play. Brighter and whiter than your stock.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:03 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Sounds like a bad bulb that just needs to be replaced. One thing you can do to confirm though is to swap your left and right bulb and see if the issue stays with the bulb or stays with the socket. If the issue follows the bulb, then yeah, replace the bulb. Otherwise, if it stays on the socket, you might have bigger power issues.

Ballast/igniters are integrated into your D1S xenon bulb so you're replacing everything as a unit.

If interested, we carry high end Morimoto D1S bulbs offered in 5000K pure white and 6000K white with a slight bluish hue.
http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...products_id=75
http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...products_id=74

5 year warranty and easy plug and play. Brighter and whiter than your stock.
Thanks Azn.
Which option is the closer color to the preinstalled xenon, and will these work with the auto levelling head light option I have? Finally, is the warranty replacement through you?

Funny, I have read so many of your posts.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:07 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by JohnnyC300
Thanks Azn.
Which option is the closer color to the preinstalled xenon, and will these work with the auto levelling head light option I have? Finally, is the warranty replacement through you?

Funny, I have read so many of your posts.

You'll want 5000K to be a closer match to xenon. You have older xenons which came 4300K from factory, but newer ones you see in modern MBs are more 5000K which match what we have. And the bulb has nothing to do with the auto leveling mechanism. You have a 5 year warranty which would be processed through me.