C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Fix-a-flat ruins Tire Pressure sesors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
Fix-a-flat ruins Tire Pressure sesors?

I've noticed an increasing number of cars are now coming with a tire-repair system (essentially an electric air-pump, and a can of fix-a-flat), in lieu of a proper spare tire (which isn't really proper anymore, ever since they switched to the space-saver spares - at least the W203s had full-sized spares). Convenient as a can of fix-a-flat may seem, has anyone heard about how using it can ruin your tire pressure sensors? I haven't had to replace one yet, but I have a feeling they're not inexpensive - not to mention, it pretty much also f*cks up the tire.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by W57thNY
I've noticed an increasing number of cars are now coming with a tire-repair system (essentially an electric air-pump, and a can of fix-a-flat), in lieu of a proper spare tire (which isn't really proper anymore, ever since they switched to the space-saver spares - at least the W203s had full-sized spares). Convenient as a can of fix-a-flat may seem, has anyone heard about how using it can ruin your tire pressure sensors? I haven't had to replace one yet, but I have a feeling they're not inexpensive - not to mention, it pretty much also f*cks up the tire.
The TPMS senso for my C is approximately
28.95 for one 28.95 for one
OR
$79.99 for 4 $79.99 for 4
. As for Fix-A-Flat ruining them, I can tell you that I have, on several occasions used it (once in the lifetime of a tire) without any noticeable effect on those TPMS sensors... I can only assume that frequent use would likely get the sensor hole (which is tiny) clogged up which would render the sensor useless.

Some may use them because they are much more convenient that having to change a flat, others may be forced to under some circumstances. I think tire stores might dislike them because they do make tire replacement/repair pretty messy, to say the least.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:24 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
There are slime kits that are TPMS safe but not sure if they can also cause any damage.