C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Shifting to neutral

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Shifting to neutral

I can't take the unpredictable nature of this transmission in E mode so I keep it in S most of the time.

However, the downshifting can be too aggressive in some situations. Situations such as driving up to a traffic light or, around residential neighborhoods, etc.

What I've started to do is shift into neutral if I don't have a need to hold on to the revs. Having driven manual cars for so long this feels rather natural to me. There are some situations where being neutral just make sense from a driving perspective.

What I'm wondering is if there are any negatives to driving this way on a daily basis? In theory I suppose it could cause increased brake wear.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
no
Old 12-18-2015, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
As long as you don't hit the gas then shift to D you should be fine. Actually even if you with the gas and shift to D the transmission will not engage until the RPMs goes to what is safe to engage to D.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
I figured not. This isn't really the age old "shift into neutral at red lights" It's just that this car engine brakes rather hard in S mode. Either that or I'm just having a hard time giving up my manual transmission ways.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by michail71
What I'm wondering is if there are any negatives to driving this way on a daily basis? In theory I suppose it could cause increased brake wear.
I would obtain expert opinion here as you may damage the ATM.

I have a 5 speed & my book tells me that when being towed I must not exceed 50km/H & for no further than 50 km. Friction may overheat the oil.

I suggest seeing what your book says.

It may be perfectly OK as the engine is running & lubricating & cooling the ATM .

If you re-engage whilst at standstill your clutches may not be prematurely worn.

Last edited by Carsy; 12-19-2015 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Carsy
I would obtain expert opinion here as you may damage the ATM.

I have a 5 speed & my book tells me that when being towed I must not exceed 50km/H & for no further than 50 km. Friction may overheat the oil.

I suggest seeing what your book says.

It may be perfectly OK as the engine is running & lubricating & cooling the ATM .

If you re-engage whilst at standstill your clutches may not be prematurely worn.
Thanks, the owner's manual said not to do that.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
I'll stick by the manual's warning but I'm curious as to what's going on mechanically. I guess it has something to do with lubrication?

Some people say it stresses the transmission going in and out of neutral. But at low RPMs and stopped I'm not sure how it would be any worse than going through 3-4 downshifts. I could see shifting in neutral to drive while in motion as stressing the transmission.

I wish there was a 3rd mode that allowed for better throttle response, 1st gear and less aggressive downshifts. E just sucks, the car doesn't want to go or only wants lurch forward with loo much power after hesitation. S give you much more precise acceleration off the line.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I'm not exactly sure what you mean? Are you saying that when slowing down for a light and the car downshifts on it's own while in gear you feel it harshly? Or do you mean as you are slowing down you manually downshift the gears and the shifting is harsh? If it is the former mine doesn't do that at all, so maybe there isn't something quite right. It downshifts smoothly where you almost don't notice it. If it is the latter, why would you downshift manually? Just let the car do it on its own as it should be very smooth. Maybe you need the fluid changed.

I know what you mean about the automatic transmission being frustrating after being used to shifting manually. I drive in S mode all the time too. This is only the second auto for me in the last 25 years and I just hate when you want to accelerate rather quickly and the car has to downshift, which takes forever-even if you were shifting manually. Seems like it would be quicker and smoother if it would just hold the gear you are in up to redline instead of dropping down a couple gears and then surging. So frustrating sometimes and the delay almost seems borderline dangerous while you are waiting.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Alfadude
I'm not exactly sure what you mean? Are you saying that when slowing down for a light and the car downshifts on it's own while in gear you feel it harshly? Or do you mean as you are slowing down you manually downshift the gears and the shifting is harsh?
Kind of the first one. It's not harsh but approaching a sure stop situation the downshifts in S mode are aggressive resulting in more engine brake. The car will coast a bit more in E mode. The end result is I may need to use a bit more throttle coming in to a stop sign or red light vs riding out the car's momentum.

I don't think it's anything someone not used to driving manual transmission cars would even notice.

Having the E/S button on the wheel or shifter would be better as I could easily swap modes on the fly.

As far as coasting in neutral goes it's apparently bad for the drivetrain.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:59 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
OK, now I understand what you mean. In your old car as you slowed down you put it in neutral and coasted to a stop. And now with the drivetrain engaged is slows down quicker than you are used to. I would guess you will get used to that soon enough. Can't say that I really noticed that when I first got mine, but what I used to do when coming to a stop with my old car was pretty much coast in gear until it was almost stopped then put it in neutral as opposed to coasting.

The E mode is definitely frustrating, but that was designed for the best fuel economy. I get that. But even in sport mode it isn't much better. And even when shifting manual it isn't a full manual because it downshifts on its own. I could see it upshifting so you don't over rev it, but waiting while it takes forever to downshift a couple gears so you can get a couple hundred revs in a lower gear. It would be so much more satisfying if it would stay in the gear you were in when you accelerate rapidly. I have a 2012, so it doesn't have the horsepower boost they got i 2013, but it still can be fairly quick and sporty. It is just such a hassle trying to get it in its sweet spot that is frustrating.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Yeah, I would do both, shift to neutral or stay in gear. Downshifting would be for a non stop turn. I'll get used to driving this way before long.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C300
Originally Posted by michail71
The end result is I may need to use a bit more throttle coming in to a stop sign or red light vs riding out the car's momentum.

I don't think it's anything someone not used to driving manual transmission cars would even notice.
Most american cars that I've driven before owning German cars did not downshift while on the brakes, you were essentially in neutral all the time after a second or so of braking the transmission would disengage. So yes, coming from driving american cars my whole life to a Benz I immediately noticed that the car always stayed in gear and downshifted through the range back to 1 (or 2nd depending on the car/mode).

That said, you'll get used to it and you won't have to use throttle when coming to a stop... If you're like me you'll learn the fine art of this after a while.

Also, in every state I have ever lived it is illegal to shift into neutral while the car is in moving (if equipped with an automatic transmission).
Old 12-23-2015, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Yes, I've adjusted now. The car does stay a bit neutral feeling in E mode.

Another odd thing the transmission does is hold on to the low gear longer than any other car I've seen. Say like you have to pull hard into traffic and then suddenly slow down. It feels like the transmission gets stuck. It will do this in E also. I don't mind this as I know what's going on and would rather have the power on tap if need be.

I've never understood that law. Some claim it's to maintain control but I see no different in control between that and a manual transmission. It could go back to something dealing with early automatic transmissions?
Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C300
The holding of the low gears really bothers me sometimes. In my W203 it was much easier to let off the gas and get it to upshift quickly, but the holding behavior seems stronger/longer in the W204.

There are a few somewhat decent points about why not to drive in neutral here: http://www.mercurynews.com/mr-roadsh...flip-cigarette
Old 12-23-2015, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Thanks, I know about the fuel consumption. I would always keep my manual in gear until hitting the idle point to save fuel. But DI engines are also very efficient at idle.

The safety concerns still don't seem valid to me. The law should force people that drive manual transmissions to downshift as well then. Doing what I mentioned above could leave you in a gear that had no ability to accelerate.

All this is a moot point anyway as it's bad for this car mechanically.