C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Heal and Toe Downshifting With an Automatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Heal and Toe Downshifting With an Automatic

I bought my car last September and it's only my second automatic in the last 35 years. Love driving manual a lot more than auto, but, of course, the C300 doesn't come with a manual. Loved the car enough to buy it anyway. I hate how there is such a delay when you push the accelerator a bit and there is a loooonnnngggg delay while it downshifts and then eventually you get a big surge. Not very satisfying and very frustrating. I rest the transmission and always drive in sport mode and that helps a bit, but I still hate the shift program Mercedes has as it seems heavily weighted for fuel economy.

The other day I was playing around a bit while driving and found that if very quickly take my foot off the accelerator, then quickly blip the throttle and then get back on the accelerator the transmission with go down a gear and the revs go up and you can get to accelerating more quickly and more smoothly. It is just like if you are heal and toeing with a manual. Just slightly off/slightly on/slightly off and then accelerate and it is a lot more satisfying. If yo practice a bit you can do it very quickly and it is all very smooth. It feels like you can get the revs up quicker and into the power band. I'm not taking about a to the floor full acceleration, but accelerating with a partial throttle. Hard to explain, but the transmission can downshift pretty quick that way. Plus, you cna get it to go down a couple gears if done in quick succession.

Give it a try. I'm not saying it makes the car any quicker, but it makes it feel smoother accelerating.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Alfadude
I bought my car last September and it's only my second automatic in the last 35 years. Love driving manual a lot more than auto, but, of course, the C300 doesn't come with a manual. Loved the car enough to buy it anyway. I hate how there is such a delay when you push the accelerator a bit and there is a loooonnnngggg delay while it downshifts and then eventually you get a big surge. Not very satisfying and very frustrating. I rest the transmission and always drive in sport mode and that helps a bit, but I still hate the shift program Mercedes has as it seems heavily weighted for fuel economy.

The other day I was playing around a bit while driving and found that if very quickly take my foot off the accelerator, then quickly blip the throttle and then get back on the accelerator the transmission with go down a gear and the revs go up and you can get to accelerating more quickly and more smoothly. It is just like if you are heal and toeing with a manual. Just slightly off/slightly on/slightly off and then accelerate and it is a lot more satisfying. If yo practice a bit you can do it very quickly and it is all very smooth. It feels like you can get the revs up quicker and into the power band. I'm not taking about a to the floor full acceleration, but accelerating with a partial throttle. Hard to explain, but the transmission can downshift pretty quick that way. Plus, you cna get it to go down a couple gears if done in quick succession.

Give it a try. I'm not saying it makes the car any quicker, but it makes it feel smoother accelerating.
First off W204s do come in manual or "6-speed transmission," based upon the year of course.
Yours is a facelifted w204 model, (2012-2014) any year higher than that you will not be seeing a manual transmission.
W204 models, specifically the C300 came in a 6-Speed manual transmission in the years of 2008-2010. Maybe in 2011, not so sure.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the throttle lag; it drives me insane.
I do exactly what you do; tap the gas, take foot of the gas, the car downshifts, and now in peak power-band RPM for best performance.

There is also a "manual mode" of the car that I like to call fanual. (fake manual)
I don't know if you tried it but it is worth a try if you like that method of downshifting with your foot.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Is that tap really there on purpose? Sometimes it triggers accidentally without any call for extra throttle.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
I also do that throttle blip to get the transmission to downshift before I actually need the power. I also use a Sprintbooster which helps with the transmission lag considerably. I do use faux manual shifting quite a bit though, always anticipating the second or 2 it takes for the gear to actually be selected.

If I am speeding onto an on ramp I'll usually downshift (hold the lever all the way to the left to downshift into the lowest possible gear for the current revs) into 3rd and merge while shifting into 4th all the way into the left lane. That extra power definitely helps, I also downshift when needing to slow down for an upcoming turn and use engine braking before powering out of the turn and continuing to shift up.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:13 AM

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by w204_Generic
First off W204s do come in manual or "6-speed transmission," based upon the year of course.
Yours is a facelifted w204 model, (2012-2014) any year higher than that you will not be seeing a manual transmission.
W204 models, specifically the C300 came in a 6-Speed manual transmission in the years of 2008-2010. Maybe in 2011, not so sure.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the throttle lag; it drives me insane.
I do exactly what you do; tap the gas, take foot of the gas, the car downshifts, and now in peak power-band RPM for best performance.

There is also a "manual mode" of the car that I like to call fanual. (fake manual)
I don't know if you tried it but it is worth a try if you like that method of downshifting with your foot.
I know there was a manual offered, but I need the 4matic and that is not offered with a manual. And, yeah, I do use the manual shifting occasionally, but even that is kind of unsatisfying in that it doesn't hold the specific gear you are in enough. Sometimes wants to downshift at times when I would prefer it to stay in the gear I have selected. It is better than nothing though. Although I miss my manual, I'm ok with the auto transmission. And so far the car has been quite good and fantastic in the snow, so I am a happy camper.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Funny how we get use to that delay, maybe not really. If my 57 Ford or 63 Mercury or 61 Pontiac or any auto transmission car up to the mid 80's acted like all the new cars do with their delays, I would be tearing apart the transmission to find out what is wrong. We just learn to live with what the government mandates, as a 3 or 4 speed use to be good enough and now we need 6,7 or 8 and associated slow thinking software to be in mpg game.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by bop11
Funny how we get use to that delay, maybe not really. If my 57 Ford or 63 Mercury or 61 Pontiac or any auto transmission car up to the mid 80's acted like all the new cars do with their delays, I would be tearing apart the transmission to find out what is wrong. We just learn to live with what the government mandates, as a 3 or 4 speed use to be good enough and now we need 6,7 or 8 and associated slow thinking software to be in mpg game.
The days of the cable throttle response as opposed to the new electric throttle response......such a shame.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
There are pros and cons to it . I remember when I worked in aviation it was something pilots were feeling too. There have even been cases where the systems have failed and done things like go full throttle on landing approach.

I was given a Buick as a loaner car and one thing about it that feels really good to me is the TCU. The car shifts a little slower but it is much more predictable than a Mercedes. It shifts like a normal car, lol.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
I know we're supposed to say nice things about our cars, but this transmission no downshift business really chaps my hide. My Golf TDI with DSG is always in the right gear. Mercedes could have programmed it correctly especially with 7 forward speeds and as such it's not something you would be looking for as a problem on a pre-purchase test drive. Grrrrr
Old 01-05-2016, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Yes, VW does a nice transmission.

We don't have to always say nice things. My big complaints are the TCU, Outdated Comand system and the seats. Why make such a tight car and then have seats that can't hold you in?

Perhaps one day the engineers will take notice. Even the the professional reviewers make mention of the transmission's brains. It's downright bipolar.

The worst for me is being in E and trying to accelerate up an incline. The car will hardly move, then when the driver's throttle request becomes more urgent it overreacts.

Anyway, there is a TCU flash available that supposedly does wonders and unlocks torque.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:48 PM

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Frnak
I know we're supposed to say nice things about our cars, but this transmission no downshift business really chaps my hide. My Golf TDI with DSG is always in the right gear. Mercedes could have programmed it correctly especially with 7 forward speeds and as such it's not something you would be looking for as a problem on a pre-purchase test drive. Grrrrr
Uuuhhhhh.....maybe the reason the transmission feels so good in your Volkswagen diesel is because of the cheating software Volkswagen used. Maybe it will be different once they figure out a fix.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 2009
I have found that the car drivers more resposive and eager to shift on manual mode (without actually using the shifter) wether you are on sport or economy mode.
Just put it on manual mode on the highest gear and drivet normaly.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Uuuhhhhh.....maybe the reason the transmission feels so good in your Volkswagen diesel is because of the cheating software Volkswagen used. Maybe it will be different once they figure out a fix.
That has nothing to do with the transmission. It's just a better transmission technology wise. They use it in the Bugatti Veyron as well.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Oh, and a quick thanks to Alfadude for that tip. I tried it this morning and it actually worked as described. Cool
Old 01-06-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
The transmission in the VW is a DSG dual clutch transmission that will always shift better and faster than anything with a torque converter. That said, DSGs and DCTs are usually pretty jerky in slow driving/traffic situations. But once you're at speed it shifts incredibly quickly.

Originally Posted by Frnak
DSG is a dual clutch transmission type which is superior in many instances to the torque converter transmission found in the C300 and other MBs. Different technology.

Originally Posted by michail71
Yes, VW does a nice transmission.

We don't have to always say nice things. My big complaints are the TCU, Outdated Comand system and the seats. Why make such a tight car and then have seats that can't hold you in?

Perhaps one day the engineers will take notice. Even the the professional reviewers make mention of the transmission's brains. It's downright bipolar.

The worst for me is being in E and trying to accelerate up an incline. The car will hardly move, then when the driver's throttle request becomes more urgent it overreacts.

Anyway, there is a TCU flash available that supposedly does wonders and unlocks torque.
The engineers have moved on from the W204, go test drive a W205 and see how fast the transmission shifts in manual mode. The loaner I had for 2 weeks could shift twice as fast as what my W204 could do. Paddle shifting was actually rather great, and on the C450 it's even faster and on the AMGs with MCT even faster still.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
I should have one for some warranty work this Monday.

But I don't think there is any reason the 7 g tronic plus needs to be so wonky as it's the software that's the problem. They should be able to easily revise the software.