C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Have the Alarm Portion and Not the Key Blade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mercedes Benz C250
Have the Alarm Portion and Not the Key Blade

Can someone help me with my question.
I only have the outer alarm plastic portion of my 2013 C250's car key, and I Plan on having a locksmith find the blade for it to cut/copy and match the other full pair of key I have. Will the newly cut blade work with the alarm if it's cut to be duplicate the other pair? Will the Dealer find out. I am afraid because I have to return my lease in March.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 770 Likes on 749 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W204 forum...
Old 01-16-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
Originally Posted by xxsarah83xx
Can someone help me with my question.
I only have the outer alarm plastic portion of my 2013 C250's car key, and I Plan on having a locksmith find the blade for it to cut/copy and match the other full pair of key I have. Will the newly cut blade work with the alarm if it's cut to be duplicate the other pair? Will the Dealer find out. I am afraid because I have to return my lease in March.
You're probably stuck buying the car off-lease now.

The new cut blade may work, though it depends if it's cut properly, and if the blade thickness is correct (sometimes aftermarket keys may not match up correctly with the original - this isn't limited to car keys, I have a Kwikset locks on my house doors, and some of the keys I've had cut from Home Depot haven't worked correctly). Let's say you have a properly cut key insert, no, it will not affect the alarm, as it's really just a metal key shank that you use to unlock the car if the remotes are dead, lock the glove box, and boot (trunk). Whether or not the dealer finds out at lease turn-in is probably dependent on how thorough they are when they're doing the final inspection. If they look at the key insert closely, they may be able to tell, on the other hand, if you hand over your keys on a key-ring, they may just count that as you having turned in both keys. Worse case scenario, you have to order an entirely new car key at about $300.