C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 COMAND NTG4 cover stuck error code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S211 E320CDIT A + S203 C320 T A
W204 COMAND NTG4 cover stuck error code

I asked this question here, before I realized that the thread was about a larger screen, not about the factory original 5" COMAND NTG4. So, moving to a new thread..

I have a 2008 W204 with a factory installed COMAND NTG4.

Long time ago, I had problems with the flip up display of the COMAND NTG4.

When I started the car, the cover on the dashboard opened and the screen slides out. But after the Mercedes logo, the screen slides back and the cover closes. But it does not close as it should. It stays a couple of millimeters open. Audio works, I see everything in the multifunction display, and all the control work fine.

And when I press the power button again, the same happens again, or the screen slides out and everything works perfect. When the screen stays on, I can go to the Engineering Menu and see the logs. No errors there.

But even if the COMAND would have powered on without problems, it did not mean that the cover would close as it should. Sometimes it closed, most of the times it stayed a couple of millimeters open.

But on the day after when I restarted the car, the COMAND was suddenly perfect.

Unfortunately, the problem has returned and it does not seem to be going away. Can you help me in figuring out, what's wrong?

Start Diag shows that the cover of the flip up unit is stuck. This is funny. When I look at the system, I see that the door opens and closes (sometimes fully, sometimes not). Obviously it is not stuck.

The great news is that Star Diag test did not show any problems in the COMAND unit, or the LCD screen.

I guess this is one of those problems that can be caused by dirt or a $2 part (, or a more expensive part).

Do you know, what could cause the "door stuck" signal if I can see that it is not stuck. Does the system have position sensors/ microswitches that could be dirty and could give this wrong signal (and stop the cover a couple of millimeters too early)?
Old 04-23-2016, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S211 E320CDIT A + S203 C320 T A
This is weird.. I decided to bring the car to a shop. They removed the monitor folding flip assembly and disconneced the cables. After this, they reconnected the cables and all suddently the problem was gone.

Feels strange that there is no visible problem, and removing/replacing fuses does not fix the probelm, but then simply disconnecting and reconnecting the wires fixes the problem. On the other hand, I like this was a positive surprise. A cheap solution is always nicer than an expensive repair.