C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Knocking sound on passenger side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
Knocking sound on passenger side

Hey guys, i have a 2007 C230 and there's this knocking sound coming out of the passenger side and I'm having trouble figuring out what it is.

most of the time, i would hear the knocking sound when i press down on the breaks (coming to a complete stop) and when i go over road bumps i would hear a loud knock coming out of the front right side of my car. sometimes i would hear it when i turn my steering wheel all the way to one side.

I took it to a couple of mechanics and no one could figure out what the problem is. some people recommended that i change my sway bar link. so i went ahead and replaced the sway bar link on the right side but that didn't fix the problem.

i would really appreciate if someone could help me with this
Old 04-18-2016, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
I just had something similar. I would up having a loose wheel speed sensor and a caliper issue of some sort. I've only heard this over the phone so far from the dealership. That's where my car spends most of it't time. They had to order something for the caliper. Not sure what it was yet.

I would get a few knocks on a moderate brake just as the car came to a stop.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
Please let me know what parts they order when you find out, and i'll definitely look into the caliper

Thanks
Old 04-18-2016, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Your thing does sound oddly similar. I would get about 3 knocks as the car was coming to a complete stop. It wasn't that bad sounding. You'd have to be a car person to question it.

At first they fixed the wheel speed sensor, which didn't correct the knocking but it did trigger the ABS light.

After more work they said they were ordering a part on Friday for the brakes. Today they said the caliper had been loose or defective. I forget the exact works.

They are keeping the car longer to try and fix a rattle that was caused by prior work on the instrument cluster. I'll let you know what the issue was.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by falmatar
Please let me know what parts they order when you find out, and i'll definitely look into the caliper

Thanks
I just got the papers back from my last visit and it seems the wheel bearings were out of spec and causing the knock. They re-torqued all the front suspension components, repacked the bearings and did some sort of adjustment on them. After doing that the knock went away but the car had an ABS light on the test drive. Which is when they then replaced the wheels speed sensors.

So it seems the calipers were fine and a little was lost in translation with the service adviser.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by michail71
I just got the papers back from my last visit and it seems the wheel bearings were out of spec and causing the knock. They re-torqued all the front suspension components, repacked the bearings and did some sort of adjustment on them. After doing that the knock went away but the car had an ABS light on the test drive. Which is when they then replaced the wheels speed sensors.

So it seems the calipers were fine and a little was lost in translation with the service adviser.
Out of spec meaning worn out? I just drop my for the same knocking sound but, my knocks when I go over a bump when I brake is fine and I can't feel any play on the steering, I can't get mad first issue since I bought the car.