C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

X Pipe with bigger piping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Arrow X Pipe with bigger piping?

Hey guys, so I know there are a lot of threads on this topic but I couldn't find an answer to my exact question. So I'm getting an x-pipe but I guess the standard piping is 2.25" right now. However I was looking into getting bigger piping maybe up to 2.5" or even 3"? My 2 questions are, if I do so will I lose horsepower? And my second question is, if I get bigger pipes, will I have to buy the x pipe thats 2.5"? (if that makes sense). I also am installing the c63 tips with the rear diffuser. I also was looking into getting new mufflers because I personally would like the car to sound a little more aggressive than with x pipes alone. Sorry if that sounds confusing! I appreciate your time and help!!!

This is the x pipe i was looking into:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-10...JXD9mR&vxp=mtr
Old 04-22-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic | 2008 CLK350 Cabriolet
I honestly wouldn't do a larger pipe unless you know the differences in output from the changes in the HP/Torque. If you want a deeper sound or louder rumble, you should consider glasspacks/resonators with high flow mufflers. You need to have back pressure on the exhaust, otherwise you lose out on the dynamic balance of HP/Torque. The time you want to go with a larger pipe to reduce back pressure is when you are doing diesel.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250
Kent is basically correct. Your car (if otherwise stock) will lose some low-end torque with larger pipes. Stick with the stock diameter and you should be fine.

Side note- Kent, even diesels will lose power with too-large pipes. A straight-piped diesel is a very inefficient setup. A properly designed and sized muffler will sound (much) better and will allow for noticeably more power.
The following users liked this post:
Kent Seaton (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 01:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic | 2008 CLK350 Cabriolet
Good point on that jbt56.

Ultimately, back pressure for proper force and turbulence is what drives the overall note. Just have a listen to the godlike angry panther sounding Maserati Quatroporte and then realize that 543 miniature pink ponies of death incarnate push through an H chambered chicane laden 2.5" dual port exhaust. The design of that exhaust had the research funding of multiple millions to create that golden note of pure torture. If you enjoy a good exhaust tone, push yourself to find an owner who will happily rev one up to just barely 4K rpm. It was this note which toppled the notoriety of the shot heard around the world.

Out of curiosity, what sort of tone and gain are you looking for from your exhaust?