C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Center Console / Radio / AC Control Removal help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mercedes-Benz C300
Center Console / Radio / AC Control Removal help

Hi guys,

I'm a first time MB owner and last week I picked up 2013 C300 with nice staggered wheel setup and a set of Pirelli tires. So far it's been a love/hate relationship. I got into a collision less then 200km driven due to raccoons out of control here in Toronto. I ended up paying for my insurance deductible before my first payment.

My back and arms hurt for an unexplainable reason.

I destroyed my wheel hub because my spacers came in 15/20mm setup and new bolts didn't look any different yet they were. I installed the long bolts in the front and torqued to realize they didn't fit. Time for new front hubs.

With all that in this much time, I'm still loving my ride. This thing has decent power if you know how to drive. Yet anyone who doesn't know how to drive it can drive the car too since it's just so automated.

I'm coming from a 13 year relationship with a Mitsubishi Lancer so it's a little difficult transitioning but it's a work in progress.

I'm trying to make the car "mine" and installing my dashcam currently. I'm having some difficulty understanding online guides and hoping to get some guidance from the forum members.

Target is to get my USB cord from top of the windshield to front lighter plug. I've routed the wires from top into the roof lining, down the A pillar, inside and over the cabin filter cover so it's all hidden and nice. Success so far.

My problem started when I attempted to get the cord inside the center console. I couldn't find a way to stuff the cord, everything is just too tight and no opening could be found. Eventually I shoved it in and was hoping to catch it on the inside of the console but failed to see or feel the USB head. Now my cord is stuck, won't even come back out. I'm assuming it's stuck on something.

I decided to open up the AC control unit to get better visual and/or find a better way of getting the cord through. I've removed the dashboard lining, removed the air vents and unscrewed the supposed jaw screws half way up to remove the radio unit.

This is where I've spend an hour and can't make any progress. I need to remove the radio unit to remove the AC control unit.

I've attached 3 pictures and I'm hoping to get some assistance. I only have today to do this because tomorrow is back to work.
Attached Thumbnails Center Console / Radio / AC Control Removal help-2016-05-15-11.07.02.jpg   Center Console / Radio / AC Control Removal help-2016-05-15-11.07.13.jpg   Center Console / Radio / AC Control Removal help-2016-05-15-11.07.22.jpg  
Old 05-16-2016, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
There is a big gaping hole behind the Comand screen but that could be higher up than where you need to get?
Old 05-16-2016, 08:51 PM

2013 Mercedes-Benz C300
Originally Posted by michail71
There is a big gaping hole behind the Comand screen but that could be higher up than where you need to get?
I didn't get it. Explain again please?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
I'm sorry, that wasn't really helpful on getting the head unit out. I haven't done that but I've seen mention of people pulling it out to check the fuse. I don't think it's too difficult.

I was just saying if you need space behind the dash that there is a bit up there behind the display screen.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:08 PM

2013 Mercedes-Benz C300
True. I just need space to grab the cord and then fish it into the ashtray. I'll give it a shot again this weekend and hopefully I won't get the USB cord stuck anywhere. Good tip, thanks!
Old 05-17-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 C350 Sedan
you don't need to take any of the molding / command / AC apart to run the wire to under the ash tray. There is space to stick your hand through behind the carpet in the passenger foot well and run the wire right where it needs to go. You've done way too much dis-assembly

pull back the whole carpet like piece where the owners manual netting is and run the wire behind there.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:12 PM

2013 Mercedes-Benz C300
I see in some of my own pictures that I may have been going around the wrong way. I'll try to pull the carpet tonight and see how it works. I'll update as soon as I can.