C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My poor C300, huge accident, leased, dont know what to do

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Accord
My poor C300, huge accident, leased, dont know what to do

Hey guys, I used the MB forums to look into leasing a C300 about a two years ago and I have loved the car and the forums here!!

But, I'm in kind of a hole and really would appreciate any advice. I was involved in a car accident that ( long story short) will be ruled by my insurance company as "my fault". My car was a 2014 Mercedes Benz C300 4-door and was a lease.

Unfortunately, there are only two near-by Mercedes dealerships/body shops and both of them are backed up over a month. (I think there two other dealerships about 80 miles away). My damage seems pretty extensive (rear bumper, driver door, probably over >5k). Because its a lease, do I need to get the repairs done at a Mercedes certified dealership/body shop?

Should I just pick a body-shop I trust/recommended to me?

Also, after I get it repaired should I consider trying to "sell" the lease via a third party (like CarMax) - I think after this accident my auto insurance will skyrocket?

Thank you. Please, any advice would be really appreciated!
Old 10-05-2016, 06:58 AM

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
You are not required to take it to the dealer but won't hurt. Don't take the car, just return it to the dealer, the car lost a ton of value. Your rates increasing depends on your history.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:08 PM

2008 C300 6-Speed - Retired Land Rover Disco II
Mind posting a picture? I can tell you if that number sounds right for my area (I managed a used car dealership), here in MN auto body is booming.

Sorry to hear, insurance can be a real.. you know..
Old 10-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts
W205
had damage too on the full length of right side when i had to avoid a collision with some drunk fool.
at the dealer it would have cost me 4800 euro, at a local shop where they do such repairs it was 1500
Old 10-06-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
What is your insurance company telling you. There will be diminished value on the car come return time. It may hurt your pocket book quite a bit. DV is the difference between a no story car and one that has been in an accident. Your insurance company should be handling your car at this point. Meaning they should have had it towed to an appraiser, they will determine what it's going to cost, they should send it to a shop for repair and they should rent you a car in the meantime. Anything less than that and you should be looking for a new insurance company. I would ask that they go through Mercedes shop (they don't do the work at the dealership) but it will at least be done with OEM parts which will help you when you return the car
Old 10-07-2016, 03:10 AM

2008 C300 6-Speed - Retired Land Rover Disco II
Originally Posted by Atlas Grey
What is your insurance company telling you. There will be diminished value on the car come return time. It may hurt your pocket book quite a bit. DV is the difference between a no story car and one that has been in an accident. Your insurance company should be handling your car at this point. Meaning they should have had it towed to an appraiser, they will determine what it's going to cost, they should send it to a shop for repair and they should rent you a car in the meantime. Anything less than that and you should be looking for a new insurance company. I would ask that they go through Mercedes shop (they don't do the work at the dealership) but it will at least be done with OEM parts which will help you when you return the car
I'm with Atlas, your insurance company would probably be the best guide at this point.. lots of factors that can hit your wallet
Old 10-07-2016, 07:24 AM

2005 SLK 350
Get it fixed at a Mercedes designated shop. At the end of the lease, buy the car and then, on your timetable, sell it. You will probably minimize your loss going in this rirection.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:49 PM

OP, There's a couple things you may not be aware of. When you lease a car 99% of the time you are required to have gap insurance. That being said returning at the end of the lease will cost you zero for loss of value. Next, about insurance. There are several options, take it to the place of your choice aka dealer or dealer certified shop or take it to one of the insurance companies partnered shops where I gurrantied they will throw all the crap aftermarket parts they can on it, and the repair work usually is not very good. Insurance companies at least here in NY cannot I repeat cannot tell you where you can fix your car! That is called steering and is illegal. Take it to the dealer and you will get OEM parts. But repair cost will be higher. We're you hit or did you hit the other driver. If they hit you go through their insurance and you will not spend a penny or have an affect on your premiums, that's if they are at fault. If you keep the car you will be the one losing money instead of the dealership.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:33 PM

Honda Accord
Thanks for all the advice. My insurance is paying for everything (after my deductible obviously), its "my fault" so my rates will likely increase, the estimate my insurance guy gave was about $5 grand. MB Financial holds my lease and has gap insurance (if that matters) There are two Mercedes Benz dealerships within 40 miles of me, both have been a pain in the *** to get a hold of and both have super long wait times. My insurance agent REALLY REALLY wants me to go to this body shop he knows and it terrifies me, I just do not trust the agent and his advice. I don't know why he feels so strongly that I need to go with the shop he is recommending. Thanks for everyone's advice. Its been really stressful.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by HmmPie
Thanks for all the advice. My insurance is paying for everything (after my deductible obviously), its "my fault" so my rates will likely increase, the estimate my insurance guy gave was about $5 grand. MB Financial holds my lease and has gap insurance (if that matters) There are two Mercedes Benz dealerships within 40 miles of me, both have been a pain in the *** to get a hold of and both have super long wait times. My insurance agent REALLY REALLY wants me to go to this body shop he knows and it terrifies me, I just do not trust the agent and his advice. I don't know why he feels so strongly that I need to go with the shop he is recommending. Thanks for everyone's advice. Its been really stressful.
Easy for me to answe that as I touched on it in my last post. He wants to keep costs down, his shop will do that. They will put on aftermarket or recycled parts, FYI, they can only use capa aftermarket parts if they do. They work in his interest not yours, that is key! Quality can be sub par. Did he give you an estimate? Choosing your shop can be risky as well, if there is a problem with their work it's between you and them. Make sure you carefully choose on the shop. Since you have gap insurance just return the car at the end of the lease which I figured you have. Keep the car and you will have a loss when you sell it, or walk away from it and not lose anything. And where are you located state wise? Regulations vary from states.

Edit; I forgot to say but if you take it to a good shop tell them only OEM for your car and they will put them on the car, there's ways for them to get the adjuster to pay for it.

Last edited by Just204; 10-10-2016 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:53 AM

Honda Accord
Yea, okay I understand what you mean. There's a non-Benz shop that I had multiple other body shops recommend to me (all these other shops say this shop does "high end" vehicles). If the MB dealerships don't help me out, I think I'll do with them.

I bought the car in CA (where I'm from) but got in the accident in Texas (where I'm working), but I think I have to return to CA, not sure on that one.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:43 AM

You don't have to get the car fixed in CA, you can fix it there.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:32 PM

Honda Accord
yea sorry I was typing quickly...I meant at the end of the lease, I think I still have to return in CA?
Old 10-11-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 C350 Sedan
If it's a lease from MB finance then you should be able to return it to any MB dealer anywhere.

Also if you're in DFW area I have a body shop recommendation - let me know if you want that.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:47 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Have you looked at your lease agreement or talked to the dealer you got the car from as to what your options/obligations are? Seems like that would be a more accurate way to go about this rather than be surprised when you end up turning the car back in. It's not like they won't find out it has been in an accident or won't be able to tell it has been repaired.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:06 PM

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
Whatever you do, DO NOT get talked into using the shop your insurance agent or adjuster recommends. They often get "kick-back's" from the shop for sending business to the shops. Then you get sub-standard repairs. The shop makes their planned profit, your agent or adjuster makes some tax-free money and you get the bad work.

Do your own research. I would find a MB-certified shop.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
A car like that would be OK as a second car (if the frame was straight). But I would NEVER buy a car in a major accident for a daily driver.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Please use a a MB certified body shop. They will do the best job in restoring your car to original condition. If fixed correctly, you should have no problems on your lease return. If you are in the DFW area, I can give you advice on getting your car repaired. PM me.