C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Car started to skid recently

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 Amg Sport Plus
Car started to skid recently

Hello, so I've had my car for about 3 months now.
Loving​​​ it so far, but recently the back tyres are starting to skid when on a bend at low speeds of around 15-20 mph. I'm not sure if it's because the weather is becoming horriby cold /wet (Londoner). I didn't have this problem when it rained in the summer, I have Michelin tyres.

​Going to check the tread depth, if the tread is fine what else could be the problem?

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2017 AMG GT, 2015 ML350, 2013 C300
Are they summer tires or all season?
Old 11-08-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Razorig,
M is aksing the right question. Totally tire dependent. If you are running say Michelin Pilot super sports then you have summer tires and under 40 degress farenheit they are very slippery. Under 30 they are like frozen hockey pucks. What type are they specifically?
Old 11-09-2016, 03:10 AM

C220 Amg Sport Plus
You're right , they are Michelin tyres the same one you said, worst thing is they are low on tread and skidded on dry surface. Ordering some new grippy winter tyres.
Hopefully no more skidding.!!!
QUTE=Atlas Grey;6964366]Razorig,
M is aksing the right question. Totally tire dependent. If you are running say Michelin Pilot super sports then you have summer tires and under 40 degress farenheit they are very slippery. Under 30 they are like frozen hockey pucks. What type are they specifically?[/QUOTE]
Old 11-10-2016, 11:07 AM

Razorig,
Unless you have plans to have summer tires I would go with a good all season tire. Summer tires suck in the winter because the compound hardens in the cold affecting grip. Winter tires have great grip in winter but will wear FAST in the summer heat. I would strongly encourage you to buy A/S unless you live in HEAVY snow country or have a RWD car.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:00 PM

W204 C350 4Matic LCI
All seasons are great and all but don't offer maxiimum grip in all weather conditions. They offer okay grip in all seasons. If you have the money, I would invest in a good set of winter tires on a set of winter rims for of course, the winter season. Then invest in a good set of summer tires on a set of nice summer rims for of course, the summer. Some examples of great winter tires are Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2, Michelin X-Ice Xi3. Some great summer tires would be Michelin Pilot Super Sports, the soon to be released Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2, Sumitomo HTRZ3. Winter tire compounds will provide much better grip, traction, and control in the winter season over all season tires as they are specifically for winter as opposed to every season. The same goes for summer tires. Once you've had summer tires and winter tires, all seasons will feel like crap.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by PotatoMage
All seasons are great and all but don't offer maxiimum grip in all weather conditions. They offer okay grip in all seasons. If you have the money, I would invest in a good set of winter tires on a set of winter rims for of course, the winter season. Then invest in a good set of summer tires on a set of nice summer rims for of course, the summer. Some examples of great winter tires are Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2, Michelin X-Ice Xi3. Some great summer tires would be Michelin Pilot Super Sports, the soon to be released Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2, Sumitomo HTRZ3. Winter tire compounds will provide much better grip, traction, and control in the winter season over all season tires as they are specifically for winter as opposed to every season. The same goes for summer tires. Once you've had summer tires and winter tires, all seasons will feel like crap.
That is what I said. In an ideal world any car benefits from season specific tires. Summer performance tires like the Michelin Super sports and some true winter tires for winter. Get a crappy set of wheels and put the winters on there then in summer time just swap them out. Since I am not sure where he lives I said unless you live in a heavy snow area or have a RWD drive car you should go A/S. Again I am assuming he was asking for just a replacement set and not a full winter and summer package which is really the best for driving. We are on the same page
Old 11-10-2016, 04:30 PM

C220 Amg Sport Plus
Thanks for the replies and tips, at the moment I will order winter tyres. Then throw my summer tyres back on in late spring, didn't realise how expensive they will be, but definitely worth it.

Ordering safe tyres for this season will definitely be the safest move. However I am now low on money now that I've purchased tyres, w204 c63 facelift bumper and getting the car wrapped in Orafol Graphite Matt Metallic.
Car is costing me a fortune but It should look great.

Will post pictures once it's wrapped!!!

Old 11-10-2016, 05:49 PM

W204 C350 4Matic LCI
I understand I pretty much said what you did, but seeing as how OP was not aware of the fact that it was purely their tires causing the skidding, I'm assuming he/she does not know too much about automobiles (no offense OP). I wanted to elaborate to inform. People also tend to cheap out on tires and end up in horrible accidents due to loss of traction and/or control. Same goes for rims, cheap rims will not withstand the highway speeds in some areas and may break at the spokes or easily crack/bend over a pothole or if they hit a curb. I for one would not cheap out on wheels as they are pretty much your life. Steelies however are strong yet cheap, so if you don't mind that look in the winter, I'd go for that.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:20 PM

C220 Amg Sport Plus
I do know a fair bit about cars the only thing is this is my first time driving in winter as i have only been driving since last Spring, so now I have experienced first hand just how badly summer tyres lack traction and grip in cold temperatures. As well as my current tyres having the bear minimum tread depth on top of that they were summer tyres, luckily I managed to get some good quality Bridgestone tyres from a friend's tyre store.

I understand I pretty much said what you did, but seeing as how OP was not aware of the fact that it was purely their tires causing the skidding, I'm assuming he/she does not know too much about automobiles (no offense OP). I wanted to elaborate to inform. People also tend to cheap out on tires and end up in horrible accidents due to loss of traction and/or control. Same goes for rims, cheap rims will not withstand the highway speeds in some areas and may break at the spokes or easily crack/bend over a pothole or if they hit a curb. I for one would not cheap out on wheels as they are pretty much your life. Steelies however are strong yet cheap, so if you don't mind that look in the winter, I'd go for that.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:10 AM

Good deal. Smart move to go true winters in colder climates and true summer tires. Best of both worlds if you have the space and the money.