C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

c250 Ownership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes c250 2013
Red face c250 Ownership

Mine is a 2013 c250 Sport Sedan. I have 43000 miles on it and have got the extended warranty as well which is going to kick in May 2017 if not by the miles.

I had some concerns on my ownership of this vehicle:
  • Should I sell it or keep it considering the age / miles?
  • I love the car and have maintained it with effort. Would it start asking for expensive repairs? I don't drive crazy but fast yes at times.
  • I have got the 40K service from MB. If I continue services from MB dealers would it be eating my pocket with more miles / age?
  • Considering I have purchased the extended warranty. Is it really worth it? I read the coverage offered from MB and I sort of like it but I am totally not sure.
Appreciate your guidance in advance.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Here are my thoughts.
1. Trading it in now you will take a bloodbath.
2. If you maintain the car to factory specs you should not be looking at expensive repairs in the short term. Driving fast after the engine (really the oil in the engine which takes much longer than the water temp on your dash) is perfectly fine. I regularly drive over 100 and it is fine. (on empty highways, relax people)
3. You should be able to contact your dealer's service department and ask the price for each upcoming service. You can save a ton of money doing alot of this yourself. Changing the oil while a pain is not difficult. Hell you could buy a pump and save your self a ton of work with the savings on just doing your own first oil change.
4. If you have already bought the extended warranty I'm not sure there is anything you can do about it. If you have not, then spending the money on it is predicated on your tolerance for an out of pocket expense. Meaning you can buy an extended warranty for say $3k now and sleep easy for the next couple of years knowing you won't have any significant repairs out of pocket. On the other hand you can save your $3k and put it in the bank or in some stocks. When you have an unexpected repair you go ahead and pay out of pocket.

For a bit of history we had an 07 C280 (W203 model) that we did not have a single problem with for 5 years. We then bought an 11 C300 that we have had one issue with and that was a sensor covered under warranty. It has 68K miles on it. We did not get additional extended warranty once her warranty ran out. Due to the luck we had with those two cars I bought a 15 C350 Coupe for daily driver duties. It has a CPO warranty and I had an issue with a taillight which they replaced. In all fairness I would have probably fixed it myself but the car was 2 months new to me so I had them take care of it.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:37 PM

Mercedes c250 2013
Originally Posted by Atlas Grey
Here are my thoughts.
1. Trading it in now you will take a bloodbath.
2. If you maintain the car to factory specs you should not be looking at expensive repairs in the short term. Driving fast after the engine (really the oil in the engine which takes much longer than the water temp on your dash) is perfectly fine. I regularly drive over 100 and it is fine. (on empty highways, relax people)
3. You should be able to contact your dealer's service department and ask the price for each upcoming service. You can save a ton of money doing a lot of this yourself. Changing the oil while a pain is not difficult. Hell you could buy a pump and save your self a ton of work with the savings on just doing your own first oil change.
4. If you have already bought the extended warranty I'm not sure there is anything you can do about it. If you have not, then spending the money on it is predicated on your tolerance for an out of pocket expense. Meaning you can buy an extended warranty for say $3k now and sleep easy for the next couple of years knowing you won't have any significant repairs out of pocket. On the other hand you can save your $3k and put it in the bank or in some stocks. When you have an unexpected repair you go ahead and pay out of pocket.

For a bit of history we had an 07 C280 (W203 model) that we did not have a single problem with for 5 years. We then bought an 11 C300 that we have had one issue with and that was a sensor covered under warranty. It has 68K miles on it. We did not get additional extended warranty once her warranty ran out. Due to the luck we had with those two cars I bought a 15 C350 Coupe for daily driver duties. It has a CPO warranty and I had an issue with a taillight which they replaced. In all fairness I would have probably fixed it myself but the car was 2 months new to me so I had them take care of it.

Thanks a lot for all that information. More questions:

1. Bloodbath.. talking about the resale value here?
2. short term... the car is a 2013 mid - 43000 miles what would be the short term you suggest?
3. Did that but they always quote less and charge more. any ideas how much would transmission fluid change would cost from the dealer? That is the next big one at 60K.
4. is the coverage good?
Old 11-08-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
1. Yes my feeling is that a W204 will take a significant hit as the W205's have been out. High mileage for the year will also hurt resale value. I bought my `15 C350 with only 20K miles this year for $27k. Car is practically new but I got a year old car with 20K miles for half the original price. Keep in mind it's also a C350.

2. I would think you wouldn't be looking at major repairs for the next 20K miles. Keep in mind every once in a while a car will have a problem regardless of age or mileage.

3. I was quoted $400 for the C300 4 Matic trans fluid exchange. Not a bad price considering it's a pain to do yourself.

4. Every extended warranty will vary based on what you want. There are some that are just drivetrain. engine and trans only. Those would be less than say full bumper to bumper. These will cover everything besides wear items (brakes, tires, lightbulbs, wipers etc). They are comprehensive but they can be significantly more expensive.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:08 PM

2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport, Auto, P02, 320, 067, 104, 218, 413, 786, 889
Im taking a wild guess here. The 2009-2013 MYs were the new redesign after Mercedes reliability reputation took a big hit with the previous craptacular model years that were out. I think they spent extra time, effort and expense at the testing bench to make sure these MYs were reliable. MB is a company with a lot of pride. Germany is a country with a lot of national pride. Sometimes to a fault.

Ive seen others make this same assumption. Its one of the reasons I bought my 2010.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by nola000
Im taking a wild guess here. The 2009-2013 MYs were the new redesign after Mercedes reliability reputation took a big hit with the previous craptacular model years that were out. I think they spent extra time, effort and expense at the testing bench to make sure these MYs were reliable.
....really glad to see this. 2012 MY in my garage (CPO, 21,100 odometer at purchase) has been sans issues since purchase,

Currently at 29,000 - - - your reliability words have made my day. Beautiful little coupe; fuel efficient too (calc's 35 Highway MPG on 450 mile trip to Carmel, CA).

Thanks, amigo.................

ez

Last edited by ezshift5; 11-09-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:14 PM

2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport, Auto, P02, 320, 067, 104, 218, 413, 786, 889
Sure thing.

FWIW, my 2010 has over 70k on it and the only thing Ive had to do to it was change some light bulbs. I did have a bunch of fuel related **** go bad on me under warranty, cat converter and other expensive crap but that was because the previous owner was leasing it and using cheap 87 octane gas.