C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C250 on a track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C250 Sport
C250 on a track?

I know that these cars are not fast at all and probably not really meant for a track day compared to the C63s but, I decided to take my car out just for the fun of it and to see what happens...
for any of you with track experience what should I watch out for maintenance wise as in fluids, oil changes or tire pressure anything in that nature...
I've taken some cars to a drag strip but as for a circuit I have no idea
Old 01-26-2017, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
There's no reason to feel ridiculous here. So what it's not fast? You will have fun, and that's what matters.

How long has it been since your last oil change? If it's been a while and you're going to track it, get one done. If you've had one done recently, just check the level and make sure it's exactly right. If you have to top it off, use the exact same oil that's already in it. Most important thing is brake fluid. I would get that flushed and changed with better fluid before I ever took it on the track, assuming you've never flushed the system before or if it was done a long time ago. Just check your tires for tread depth, overall condition, and potential punctures. As far as tire pressure goes, that's an individual thing, shy of the maximum pressure the tire is spec'd for, of course. If you really don't know, go with stock pressure front and rear and measure it at cold. Make sure the coolant system is full. Also, make sure your washer fluid reservoir is full as well. You have no idea if the guy in front of you may start spewing fluids at speed.

If your car is still under warranty do not tell the dealer, if that's where you take it to get these things done, what you intend to do with it. Tell them you just feel like it. I would go to a local indy shop that does tech inspections for track days and get the checklist done.

I'll post up anything else I think of that I may have forgotten here.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:36 PM

All of the advice above is spot on!

The one concern is the layout of the track. Long sweeping turns fling the engine oil to the side of the pan. Depending on the pickup location for the oil in the pan and internal baffles, this could result in oil starvation to the top end. I have not seen the internals of the 1.8L, so I cannot be sure if this situation could arise.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C250 Sport
Thanks for the tips!
as far as wheels are concerned, will it matter that much of what type of rims I have?
I heard the forged rims are the best next to OEM but I have no clue what type I have... I just know for a fact they're not reps
Old 01-27-2017, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Originally Posted by LouZ
All of the advice above is spot on!

The one concern is the layout of the track. Long sweeping turns fling the engine oil to the side of the pan. Depending on the pickup location for the oil in the pan and internal baffles, this could result in oil starvation to the top end. I have not seen the internals of the 1.8L, so I cannot be sure if this situation could arise.
I was going to make a point of this, but if he's not doing this regularly, this really shouldn't be too much of a concern. Good advice, nonetheless.

Another thing I totally forgot to mention. If possible, fill the tank as much as you can before you get to the track. Gas at the track, no matter what grade or type, is expensive!

Thanks for the tips!
as far as wheels are concerned, will it matter that much of what type of rims I have?
I heard the forged rims are the best next to OEM but I have no clue what type I have... I just know for a fact they're not reps
Nope. Don't even worry about that stuff (I mean, unless we're talking really bottom dollar, cheap wheels).

Stuff like the oil starvation and the wheels and tires are things you consider if you find you want to do it often. As a PCA member (these guys run DE's in all different cars, not just Porsches) I've seen bone stock cars, full-on purpose-built race cars, and everything in between. When you get serious, you start figuring out what you need to address with the car. For a first track day, I think, the advice here is all that's necessary.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:07 PM

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
Chances are you need an approved helmet as well that is still certified. I was always required to have one when I went to the track. I wouldn't worry too much about oil starvation. Tons of sports cars have the regular system we have and probably can corner faster. Very few cars are dry sump except real high performance cars.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
As others have mentioned check your fluids first. If you have not done a brake fluid exchange in the last 2 years do it before track time. Check your brake pads and rotors. Your tires should have a minimum 4/32". Check tire pressure and make sure wheels are torqued to specs before putting it on the track. I race, alot. the biggest thing to bring with you to the track is between your ears. Drive YOUR car, don't worry about getting passed by others. Learn the track via you tube videos. Learn how you follow the racing line and what to do if someone is behind you and closing at speed. Don't overdrive your car. I am constantly shocked at how inexperienced track guys think they can play cat and mouse because they have more horsepower.
I have had the faster car on the track and been passed by "slower" cars with better drivers and I have had a mid powered car where I pass much "faster" cars with terrible drivers. USE YOUR HEAD. Trust me there is ALWAYS some one faster than you. Learn to accept that and enjoy your track time.
Get track insurance just in case.