C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tools that could save me work, magnet behind oil cooler leaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 C230 Sport
Tools that could save me work, magnet behind oil cooler leaking

I replaced the 4 camshaft magnets recently and I ended up with oil leaks around the the sensors and the magnets that I couldn't comfortably reach.

Could you please suggest any tools/wrenches... that can fit and I could buy to can save me from removing the steering reservoir and/or oil cooler?

Last edited by ammoun; 01-26-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
I just did this and had to remove the oil cooler and power steering reservoir.

I think a 1/4" closed end wrench will fit over the torx bolt but I never did that. I removed everything since I wanted to clean all the oil that leaked from my seals.

It is hard to get in there with the oil cooler and power steering reservoir there.

It was a pretty easy job to be honest just a bit messy. I forgot to drain my coolant overflow tank/reservoir before I started so when I removed the oil cooler a bunch of coolant poured out. Luckily I stuffed an old bath towel in there under the cooler and it prevented a huge mess. Don't forget to do that and also suck the PS fluid out.

If removing the cooler and PS reservoir you need to buy new seals.

This DIY article helped me out. Looks like you grabbed your pic from the same DIY.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

The only real hang up I encountered was getting the PS reservoir C -clip out. It was tricky to say the least trying to pry it off without dropping it in the engine bay. You have to somehow manage to get a small flat blade screwdriver in behind the PS reservoir to be able to pry that c-clip off.

I figured installation of that clip would be even more difficult but it was easy and went back on in 30 seconds.
The following users liked this post:
ammoun (02-06-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
Also, when I replaced my cam sensors and magnets, I really cleaned out the old gunk and oil from where the sensors press into the motor. I made sure the lip where the rubber o-ring of the seal seats was nice and clean and I experienced no leaks afterward.

I also made sure the whole front of the motor was free of dirt and old oil so if a new leak appears, I can pin point where it is coming from.

No leaks now and I have a very clean engine.
The following users liked this post:
ammoun (02-06-2017)