C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

'09 C300 - Maintenances musts vs wants.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350 4Matic Sport
'09 C300 - Maintenances musts vs wants.

So picked up a '09 C300 w/~63k miles back in August 2015, I am 3rd owner and it was a Florida car it's entire life and looking at Carfax it appears to have a full Mercedes dealer service history with on-time services.

My first service ~65000 was a B service but I skipped a few items (air filter, spark plugs?, and brake fluid change). This is first time my local dealer (MB of Buckhead in Atlanta) serviced my vehicle and they gave me a small laundry list of items to address.

- Transmission service due at 60k - this was a hot button for me as I don't want to ignore required service on a hugely expensive transmission. This was just completed, although they did not drain the torque converter so had only a 2/3 fluid change.

- Transmission Mount - Dealer says trans mount is failing, quoted I believe $1100 to replace the trans mount and the engine mounts. Engine mounts are fine but according to service advisor it is advisable to replace them when doing trans mount as they have to be disconnected to do trans mount and it saves on labor. Not noticing any weird vibration or clunks, is this something I can let fest a little bit longer or do I risk damage?

- Spark Plugs - Spark plugs at 60k seem unusual. Does 3.0 M272 require them this early? Have no misfiring or running issues.

- Front sway bar bushings - Rubber bushings are dry rotted, only get clunks on occasion at slow parking lot speeds while see-sawing the steering wheel back and forth trying to get into or out of parking spaces. Definitely know this is a want more than a must.

I need brakes which I know are a must, back brakes are at 3MM which are next on list to be addressed. Front brakes have plenty of meat left (9MM) but are aftermarket so dealer recommend I get them back to OEM......that is so far down on priority list.

I know MB are maintenance intensive as they get older so don't want to ignore things and end up with a 12 page problem list a couple years down the road that costs more than the car is worth.

Main issue I am worried about is trans mount, seems like it could cause more damage as it deteriorates/fails.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
1992 MB 190E, 2016 MB C300
Motor mounts don't need to be touched in order to change the transmission mount (relatively easy)Look @ Pelican Parts dyi article( on their website). I changed my spark plugs @ 60k as per service advisors recommendation. Brakes don't need to be oem IMO. Many aftermarket brakes are excellent

Last edited by dennish; 02-02-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:08 PM

C300 Sport
I would find another dealer or a good independent. When you start hearing comments like "change brakes because their not OEM". I start to think service adviser is on commission
Old 02-02-2017, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Ha! Dealer recommended changing new front brake pads because they werent OEM. That's funny.

No need to do motor mounts. Definitely do the trans service, spark plugs, and (for me) sway bar bushings. Those are all preventative or safety IMO. The trans mount is a nice to have if you don't feel any vibration. If it is failING and hasn't failED, then you still have time.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4MATIC
$1,100 for the three mounts is expensive!

This is a simple job that does not require a dealer to perform.

It is advisable to do the motor mounts at the same time though, as they will likely have been worn too. You will definitely feel an improvement after both have been changed.

Just for perspective, I went to an indy shop (with my own parts) and had ALL four of my strut/shocks and ALL three mounts (2X engine/1X trans.) installed for $450 ($85/hr) labor total. The dealer chargers ($200 +/hr.) In fact, I did not even go to one of those shops that advertise as being a European car shop. I just went to a plain vanilla mechanic who installed these parts. Shocks and mounts are not complicated, other than having the right equipment to quickly swap them out.

The 4Matic Transmission mounts are slightly more expensive than the non-4Matic ones.

OE MB-stamped mounts cost me $370.00 in total. (2X engine mounts/1X Trans mount)

OEM (Corteco) mounts cost about $275.00 in total. (2X engine mounts/1X Trans mount)

An average shop should be able to all three mounts in about 3 hours.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
If you are local to the Atlanta area, I know of 2 excellent independent shops I can recommend for you to use instead of the dealers.

1. European Sports Car Group (Cedartown, GA) - Absolutely worth the extra drive
2. Malone's Automotive (Marietta)
Old 02-04-2017, 03:31 PM

'11 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by 95_993
I would find another dealer or a good independent. When you start hearing comments like "change brakes because their not OEM". I start to think service adviser is on commission
True true - will admit while he said there is plenty of meat left (9MM) on the pads and he would put it lowest on the priority list he said it was a general MB recommendation to change if non-OEM. Will say my visual inspection the front rotors are glazed over and I do have a medium pulsation when slowing from freeway speeds. This will happen at some point just to get rid of the warped rotor pulsation.

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Ha! Dealer recommended changing new front brake pads because they werent OEM. That's funny.

No need to do motor mounts. Definitely do the trans service, spark plugs, and (for me) sway bar bushings. Those are all preventative or safety IMO. The trans mount is a nice to have if you don't feel any vibration. If it is failING and hasn't failED, then you still have time.
See above on front brakes.

- Trans service has been done but they did not drain the torque converter, invoice only lists 6 quarts of the Mobil 134 fluid. No notable change in shifting behavior. Mounts I will shop around - no notable vibration, clunking or noise to note so think I have some time on my side.

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
If you are local to the Atlanta area, I know of 2 excellent independent shops I can recommend for you to use instead of the dealers.

1. European Sports Car Group (Cedartown, GA) - Absolutely worth the extra drive
2. Malone's Automotive (Marietta)

1. Cedartown is WAY too far.

2. Funny enough I bought the car from Malone's - have not checked their prices as that's a bit of a haul as well and their shuttle can't get me to work.

I was all gung ho about using Austrian Motors in West Midtown (I live in Midtown) based on their glowing reviews and convenient location but all the routine maintenance (oil change, trans service and air filter changes) they have quoted me have been more expensive than MB of Buckhead and at least I can get a loaner at the dealer.

MB of Buckhead has been A+ experience the 3 times I have been there. Plan on continuing to use them for everything but the engine and transmission mount situation as I have not had that priced out by Austrian.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pezzy669

1. Cedartown is WAY too far.

2. Funny enough I bought the car from Malone's - have not checked their prices as that's a bit of a haul as well and their shuttle can't get me to work.
Malone's provides service loaners just like a dealership.

As for Cedartown, the guy who runs that shop (KJ) is the best there is in this state. People bring their European cars to him from all over.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:20 PM

'11 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Malone's provides service loaners just like a dealership.

As for Cedartown, the guy who runs that shop (KJ) is the best there is in this state. People bring their European cars to him from all over.
Wow - did not know that about Malone's. Might check with them on the rear brakes since loaners are a thing there. Thanks for the heads up!

Will say their sales is top notch for buying a used Benz. Current location is kind of a dump but the sales service more than makes up for it. If anyone in ATL needs a lightly used off lease Benz go see Lance @ Malone's Auto in Marietta. Best sales experience I have had over the course of 6 auto purchases (used and new).
Old 02-05-2017, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Will say their sales is top notch for buying a used Benz. Current location is kind of a dump but the sales service more than makes up for it. If anyone in ATL needs a lightly used off lease Benz go see Lance @ Malone's Auto in Marietta. Best sales experience I have had over the course of 6 auto purchases (used and new).
I second this. Their pricing is very aggressive and the cars they sell top notch. I bought a 2011 C300 from them back in 2013 and it was a breeze and like new.