C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Cam plugs, centrifuge cover, and vacuum pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 MB C300 4MATIC Sport
Cam plugs, centrifuge cover, and vacuum pump

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice on parts and videos for replacements. I recently purchased a used W204 with 60k miles on it and it seems to be in pretty good shape mechanically. I had the car at the dealership for a wheel alignment and they gave me a small list of some recommended parts that need to be fixed, mostly because they are leaking oil.

They said the cam plugs, centrifuge cover, and vacuum pump need to be replaced. I've already watched a few videos for the cam plugs and vacuum pump and can manage them myself. But I can not find anything on the centrifuge cover.

So here are my questions for the group:

1) Since all these parts are leaking oil, do I need to drain my oil first before replacing them? There was no mention of this in the videos that I've found.

2) Can anyone recommend a video for the centrifuge cover replacement?

3) The cam plugs (and possibly the centrifuge cover) are just simple, non-mechanical, plastic parts. What are your thoughts on aftermarket replacements from someone like Dorman?

4) Does anyone know the part numbers for these parts? I'm not great at finding part numbers without ripping the part itself out and Mercedes has a new policy where they will not give out part numbers.

Thanks all, any advice will be helpful and much appreciated.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:08 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by Steve_Kaboom
1) Since all these parts are leaking oil, do I need to drain my oil first before replacing them? There was no mention of this in the videos that I've found.
No need to drain the oil.

2) Can anyone recommend a video for the centrifuge cover replacement?
I am not aware of any videos for this procedure. It really is as simple as removing 4 bolts, disconnecting the hose, removing over, reversing procedure to install new part. The difficult part was getting the right socet/wrench that are thin enough to fit between the bolts and the firewall. (See the thread I linked below).

3) The cam plugs (and possibly the centrifuge cover) are just simple, non-mechanical, plastic parts. What are your thoughts on aftermarket replacements from someone like Dorman?
I don't know if there are any aftermarket parts for these particular ones. In my opinion, they aren't that expensive anyway and to get aftermarket in order to save the cost of an already inexpensive part... Makes very little sense if any.

4) Does anyone know the part numbers for these parts? I'm not great at finding part numbers without ripping the part itself out and Mercedes has a new policy where they will not give out part numbers.
You should find plenty of info in the thread linked below. Keep in mind that when buying parts for these vehicles, the only way you can be assured that you have the correct, most up to date part for a particular job, is to call your local dealer, provide your VIN number and ask them for part numbers. Most dealer parts department staff are pretty helpful when it comes to this type of call, whether you are buying from them or not.

More info here: Burning Oil smell from pass side engine bay

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Steve_Kaboom (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 547 Likes on 483 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I'm about to do centrifuge cover as well. Just bought it today on amazon for $15.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 MB C300 4MATIC Sport
Thank you IGB, that other post was very helpful. And I'll stick with factory parts. Just to make sure I'm understanding where all the parts are located in this image, the two smaller circles indicate the cam plugs, the larger circle on the left indicates the vacuum pump, and the larger circle on the right indicates the centrifuge cover. Is that correct? That's the best I could tell from that image and some videos anyway.
jeep92 (05-07-2018)
Old 11-10-2017, 07:08 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Thank you IGB, that other post was very helpful. And I'll stick with factory parts. Just to make sure I'm understanding where all the parts are located in this image, the two smaller circles indicate the cam plugs, the larger circle on the left indicates the vacuum pump, and the larger circle on the right indicates the centrifuge cover. Is that correct? That's the best I could tell from that image and some videos anyway.
So sorry for the super late reply. and I assume you had this figured out already but for future reference for other members who may be wondering the same thing, yes, you did identify all those parts correctly...

For added reference, the "centrifuge cover" is often referred to as the "oil separator" as well as "crankcase ventilator".
jeep92 (05-07-2018)
Old 11-11-2017, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 547 Likes on 483 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
An additional update, I made a diy for the replacement of the oil separator/centrifuge cover (I titled the thread with both so anyone can find it).
Here is link to the diy for anyone who runs into this thread first: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...separator.html
jeep92 (05-07-2018)
Old 02-28-2023, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 350 GLK
Centrifuge bolt inside cover

If you want to replace the centrifuge too the bolt is left handed threads. Don’t twist the wrong way. It will sheer off ( I learned the hard way). Now I need help on how to remove the broken bolt