C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2012 W204 C300 Sport - Rear suspension noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
2012 W204 C300 Sport - Rear suspension noises

Hello,

Looking for some advice as to what may be going on. I was driving with the front driver/passenger windows down today and I heard creaking (like metal to metal creaking) from the rear suspension. More so on the left rear, but some on the right rear too.

After going underneath the car, I noticed that there is a rubber boot on both sides. The rubber boot is connected to a rod (about 1 inch thick) from the axle to the wheel? (sorry, this description is probably not ideal). Anyways, I noticed the rubber boots were flaking and coming apart as I touched it.

The front ones were fine (replaced under warranty a few months ago). The front suspension was replaced entirely (struts and other parts) a few months ago. I probably need new rear ones.

At first I thought the rear issue was a heat shield, but after banging the various heat shields that I could access, I couldn't reproduce the sounds.

Here's the weird part: If I jump and shake the car by lifting it by hand, etc, I can't reproduce the sound. I would have thought that I could have reproduced the struts creaking or whatever.

Thoughts?

Thanks all