C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2013 C300 4Matic Glove Box Light Switch Useable As Constant Power Source?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 C300 4Matic
2013 C300 4Matic Glove Box Light Switch Useable As Constant Power Source?

I am installing an ECO Off override module (https://www.midcityengineering.com/product/eco205/) and don't want to hack wiring for the constant 12V power it requires. Does anybody know if the glovebox light switch would be a good source to tap into? I am just starting to take the panels off to get to the CAN Bus module but struggling to find a good source to tie into without hacking a wire harness (which I will not do) and my C300 does not have a fuse block on the drivers side or passenger side dashboard panels like the manual alludes to. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
The glove box like isn't always on. Therefore, I don't think it's a wise idea to use that as a constant power source.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:41 PM

2013 C300 4Matic
Thanks @superangrypenguin. I'll update since I have been working on this for a bit with Mid-City being pretty responsive and I might save somebody else some time down the road.

First off, the instructions for the C300 ECO-Off on their website are incorrect. They are fixing that. The ECO-Off adapter does not require a constant power supply, it needs switched ignition power supply.

We had a lot of issues because the CAN blocks on my particular car were something a little different than they had encountered.

To be clear - my vehicle is a 2013 C300 Sport. Does not have the wireless Go stuff.

There are two CAN blocks on my car on the passenger side front foot well. One is totally full, the other has a brown/yellow connector going into it and the rest of the ports empty.

Now I was getting sporadic ECO-Off operation off that CAN Block so we tried the drivers side. On the drivers side I have two CAN blocks. One is brown and is 100% full, the other white and open ports. I tried the ECO-Off connector in an open port on that block and all hell broke loose. All the dash lights lit up, car would not start and it threw multiple OBDII error codes. Not good.

So I moved the ECO-Off back to the open passenger side CAN block and it is working 95% of the time. At this point I suspect a faulty ECO-Off circuit board (no proof - just reasonable deduction) and Mid-City has graciously shipped me out new unit to test. They have been excellent to work with.

So what do I wish I'd have known 2 weeks ago that I know now?

1) This site: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Index-W204.htm has been a Godsend. They have thousands of great tech articles with pictures that are oh so, so ,so helpful in taking apart your car.

2) It's really easy to get the console of my car apart IF you know how to do it.

3) I ran the wires from the CAN block on the passenger side over to the console, mounted my CAN-Off switch in the ashtray (and under the removable ashtray stink box whatever you want to call it) and tied into the cigarette lighter circuit for power and ground. I mounted the Eco-Off circuit board to the left of the gear selector module so getting to it is as simple as pulling off the shift boot.

4) You cannot remove the drivers side carpet insert w/o removing the drive-by-wire/throttle panel. If you try to "move" the insert out of the way to reach the CAN blocks in the sill area, you will break the foam.

5) See #1 above. It should be on everybody who is working on these cars fav list.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (04-09-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 06:26 PM

2013 C300 4Matic
An update. Installed the replacement circuit board of the ECO Off and it is now working 100%. Mid-City has been most excellent to work with and although failures with the units are extremely rare, like anything else electronic nothing is perfect.

They are going to run diagnostics on my old board and see if they can find anything but sounds like the extremely rare fluke.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Just a slightly OT question.

Can't you just switch off eco mode using STAR as opposed to this? Thanks
Old 04-14-2017, 06:52 PM

2013 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Just a slightly OT question.

Can't you just switch off eco mode using STAR as opposed to this? Thanks
I've done extensive reading and everything I have read is that it CANNOT be deprogrammed or set to default OFF via STAR or VAG Diagnostics.

This (Mid-City ECO Off) is a fairly simple permanent fix to the extremely annoying ECO function.

I have heard comments like "Is it really that big of a deal?".

Yes, yes it is. I drive my cars, they don't drive me and regardless of what the manufacturers say that constant start/stop cannot be easy on things (especially a turbo charged motor).

Leave it to the aftermarket to fix things like they should be from the start. :-)
superangrypenguin (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Good to know - I agree with you. May I ask if it's something else that pisses you off about eco start/stop? My issue always has been decreased HVAC performance on hot days, that and the annoying blip when the engine comes to life again.

I mean why drive a $50,000 car and worry about gas? It's ludicrous to me. I'm just curious though what about start/stop pisses you off
Old 04-14-2017, 08:55 PM

2013 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Good to know - I agree with you. May I ask if it's something else that pisses you off about eco start/stop? My issue always has been decreased HVAC performance on hot days, that and the annoying blip when the engine comes to life again.

I mean why drive a $50,000 car and worry about gas? It's ludicrous to me. I'm just curious though what about start/stop pisses you off
I am very anti big-government. The government can't keep their own house in order and they continue to force more and more legislation down our throats. Where does it end? Tracking devices and remote engine shutoffs are not far away.

We already have black boxes that tell everything under the sun in the event of an accident. Hey, drunk driving is a problem - why don't we require ignition override breathalyzers in every car? That way we can all be treated as guilty until proven innocent.

So: My #1 beef the ECO is I've been around cars and engines a long time and there is no way that constant starting and stopping is good for them.

#2 beef is they can put this type of crap in a car but do NOT force me to push a button every time I drive to override what I feel is a very stupid system. My car, my gas, my decision. :-)

As I said, once again technology beats technology and I once again snub my nose at big brother.
superangrypenguin (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Good man Bob. Thanks for the explanation!!

I share many of the same worries. It's like direct injection! Everyone tells me that MB has figured it out - I just don't believe it.

I understand with start/stop that MB has added another battery and has figured out a way to beef up the starter motor, but surely that can't be good.

Plus, I actually want to keep my car for a decade (for the first time in...ever), so these new technologies are a reason I'm keeping my W204!