C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How to see if a dealer has set tranny fluid to correct levels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
How to see if a dealer has set tranny fluid to correct levels?

My dealer (who I trust) is going to be doing a 60k km tranny flush and TQ drain and fill.

I'm worried b/c the dealer has never done a TQ drain and fill as part of this service. How can I ensure the tech puts in the right amount of fluid given the fact that they will be also draining the torque converter for the first time? (since they and other dealers have skipped that step) (step #6 in the WIS)

Is there something that they can produce? How can I seek verification other than their word? Thanks
Old 04-27-2017, 04:15 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Wait around and insist to see the converter being drained then leave them to finish off, and ask if they would recheck the fluid level after you take it for a 1/2 drive. If they refuse just say I will have to find some one else to it, and see what the say then.

Draining the converter is simple just have to slowly rotate the crankshaft with a wrench while someone looks to see when the converter drain plug comes in to view at the 6 o’clock position so a Allen key can un screw it.

Approx 2 litres of fluid in the converter and they should use new washers on both of the drain plugs, I did mine a home and the filter and yes a lot of very dark coloured fluid drained out well worth the effort.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
gl 450
Did you drop the pan and change filter too?

How do you refil and how do you know if/when you have the right amount of fluid installed?

Which fluid would a 2012 GL450 use, about how much and is finding a fluid with the correct specs, of any brand, acceptable? I hate to get sucked into MBs plan for us DIYers.

Last edited by 1xsculler; 04-07-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:13 PM

Received 72 Likes on 70 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
I dont remember how much comes comes out with the pan removal but as stated it’s about 2qts in the torque converter so add that. The invoice should state the amount of fluid billed so it should match close to that. 2 drain washers should also be billed. You can hang around but that annoys the tech greatly having the owner hawk them as they do their job. Ask the adviser to take a pic of the torque converter draining and have them show you when you pick up the car, make it very clear you want that! The fluid level is adjusted at a very specific temperature range, just let the tech do it and leave it at that, the fluid expands/contracts depending on temp so driving it around and telling them to recheck will just be inaccurate since it will probably be much hotter.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
My dealer (who I trust) is going to be doing a 60k km tranny flush and TQ drain and fill.

I'm worried b/c the dealer has never done a TQ drain and fill as part of this service. How can I ensure the tech puts in the right amount of fluid given the fact that they will be also draining the torque converter for the first time? (since they and other dealers have skipped that step) (step #6 in the WIS)

Is there something that they can produce? How can I seek verification other than their word? Thanks
Old 04-08-2019, 10:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 C250 coupe 2007 ML 350
How do you know that you have a drain plug on your torque converter? Are you guessing or have you seen the plug with your own eyes?
Old 04-09-2019, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300 Luxury 4Matic
I'm not sure that there's dipstick to check the level; you can look at how many quarts of fluid you are charged for.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:41 PM

Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts
2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap
Any competent mechanic working on mercedes knows the procedure on filling the transmission. It is the same regardless if you drain the TC or not, you just end up adding more obviously. I would worry more about them actually draining the TC and I would go as far as telling them to pull the plug on the transfer case to get the quart out of there too. Unless you know the mechanics, it's hard to guaranty the work unless you go under and mark everything and see if it was touched/changed.