C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Steering wheel wont go up or down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by 550x2

I had the exact same symptoms and it was cured by a system reset according to the service manager. It was not the motor just an error in the system. Go have them reset it.
Thanks for the reply. I am out of warranty, so I'd like to try to DIY. I just did some searches for system resets for the steering wheel. I found this:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/2217418-post14.html

EDIT: Damn, it is for the S class. Will have to keep looking.

Last edited by eXstasy; 04-11-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by 550x2

I had the exact same symptoms and it was cured by a system reset according to the service manager. It was not the motor just an error in the system. Go have them reset it.
There's no reset for it, it has to be freed up (smacked downwards), then the normalization of the seat and steering wheel is re-learned in the drivers seat adjustment module. If you follow the bulletin, and update the software in that module, it will reduce the chance of it jamming in the future.
The following users liked this post:
Calgarian (05-27-2021)
Old 04-11-2018, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
That thread is on older S class models, you don't have 4 relays on your car, it's controlled by the ESA-D module under the drivers seat.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:29 PM

13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The motor jams in the up position, by default it runs up until it hits the mechanical stop every time you use the easy exit feature.

There is an updated motor that is bigger and stronger and doesn't jam up nearly as much.

You can install it yourself, if you're comfortable with working under the dash, remove the footwell panel and you should see both motors, it's the one on the side, try to actuate it and you will see one move and the other not. Fairly simple to change but not that cheap.

Or, you can whack the steering wheel with your hand downward and it will almost always free up and work for a good while. A nice application of grease on the little drive mechanism helps it not to jam up as often. The bulletin says to extend the wheel as far out as possible then strike it sharply with your hand downward while actuating the motor downward. The bulletin says to then perform a software update, I assume it turns the motor off at a lower torque so it doesn't jam as hard.
That thread is on older S class models, you don't have 4 relays on your car, it's controlled by the ESA-D module under the drivers seat.
Got it. Saw your message and followed your other tips to fix it in my car.

1) I had to first unplug the ESA-D module and reconnect it. This allowed my tilt lever to actuate the motor again. Previously, pressing it downwards made no more sound. Now the lever seemed to actually attempt to tilt the wheel.
2) I struck the fully extended wheel downwards with my hand a few times while pressing the tilt lever downwards. Tilt lever seemed to stop activating the motor again.
3) I tried the seat memory button and that was when it finally tilted back down to my memorized position.
4) I turned off the damn easy entry/exit feature.

Thank you for your help! I think resetting the ESA-D module made the difference. I was whacking my steering wheel like crazy before and it didn't help.

Last edited by eXstasy; 04-11-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
After battery replacement, the rain sensing front wipers and the steering wheel up-down functions - previously inoperative - appeared. I wonder what year the improved steering wheel up down motor was standard?

Great little Iridium coupe - and this site sure helps.

ez
Old 04-12-2018, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by eXstasy
Got it. Saw your message and followed your other tips to fix it in my car.

1) I had to first unplug the ESA-D module and reconnect it. This allowed my tilt lever to actuate the motor again. Previously, pressing it downwards made no more sound. Now the lever seemed to actually attempt to tilt the wheel.
2) I struck the fully extended wheel downwards with my hand a few times while pressing the tilt lever downwards. Tilt lever seemed to stop activating the motor again.
3) I tried the seat memory button and that was when it finally tilted back down to my memorized position.
4) I turned off the damn easy entry/exit feature.

Thank you for your help! I think resetting the ESA-D module made the difference. I was whacking my steering wheel like crazy before and it didn't help.

Originally Posted by ezshift5
After battery replacement, the rain sensing front wipers and the steering wheel up-down functions - previously inoperative - appeared. I wonder what year the improved steering wheel up down motor was standard?

Great little Iridium coupe - and this site sure helps.
ez
I don't know if it ever became standard on the 204, I've seen it on the 212 and other vehicles, but the small ones are only ever found in 204/207 cars, in my experience.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
N/A
Where is this ESA-D Module locates? I have the same problem. Hopefully I don’t need to replace the motor.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:07 AM

13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by PatronasF1AMG
Where is this ESA-D Module locates? I have the same problem. Hopefully I don’t need to replace the motor.
In my facelift LHD car, its under the driver's seat. Reach down with your left hand over the front-left edge of the seat while you're sitting on it. The connector is quite large and sticks out a bit.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport
Will this work on 2013 C250. I just noticed today that my steering wheel is not going up or down, it just makes a noise when I press up or down. I checked under my seat and there are two connectors yellow and black not sure which one to disconnect. I just got this car two months ago with 59,000 on it.

Last edited by amco87; 07-01-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
If you hear a click or thump and it doesn't move, it's probably jammed up. You need to free it, extend it all the way out and hit it downward with your hand, very firmly (don't be afraid of it), while pressing the lever to adjust it down. It should free up.
Calgarian (05-27-2021)
Old 07-01-2018, 11:34 PM

If you hear a click or thump and it doesn't move, it's probably jammed up. You need to free it, extend it all the way out and hit it downward with your hand, very firmly (don't be afraid of it), while pressing the lever to adjust it down. It should free up.
Thanks. I tried that today, but I wasn’t hitting it firmly. I will try again.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:53 AM

It worked 👍. Thank you
Old 07-03-2018, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by amco87

It worked 👍. Thank you
Happy to help!

If you have any sort of warranty left, mention it to your dealer next visit, if they update the software it probably won't jam again.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:55 AM
CJG

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
This happened in my 2014. It was repaired under warranty. There was NO MECHANICAL ISSUE. The steering wheel simply lost track of what position it was in. I.E.: it thought it was all the way up when it wasn't. The dealer reset the position parameters and everything has been fine since.
I did use the manual control lever and even banged it a few times prior to this, which temporarily fixed the problem. BUT, the dealer steering wheel position reset cured the problem.
MercAMGgts2016 (07-25-2019)
Old 07-05-2018, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Happy to help!

If you have any sort of warranty left, mention it to your dealer next visit, if they update the software it probably won't jam again.
Interesting, my dealer will be replacing the steering wheel motor under EDW.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by CJG
This happened in my 2014. It was repaired under warranty. There was NO MECHANICAL ISSUE. The steering wheel simply lost track of what position it was in. I.E.: it thought it was all the way up when it wasn't. The dealer reset the position parameters and everything has been fine since.
I did use the manual control lever and even banged it a few times prior to this, which temporarily fixed the problem. BUT, the dealer steering wheel position reset cured the problem.
Right, the updated software keeps it from happening again. There isn't a position sensor for that movement, it hits the mechanical stop and records how many motor turns it is from there.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:41 PM

CLS400
I had the same problem and if your trying to fix it yourself make sure the convenience feature is set to on, i tried hitting it as hard as i could at least 10 times it didn't work. Turned the convenience feature on and pulled the steering wheel all the way in/out (full motion) and after 2 tries of hitting it worked.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:58 AM

2010 C300
Originally Posted by nelson g
I also had the same problem, what I did was while pulling the lever that lowers the steering wheel in the down position I was also pulling down on the wheel at the same time. The wheel moved and now when I exit the car the wheel lifts up and the seat goes back. Try it it might work for you.

Nelson
Same problem. I took your advice re: pulling the lever and pulling down on the wheel. (I added pushing up on the wheel, too.) It worked like a champ. Thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 02:51 PM

Mercedes C250 Coupe
Right, the updated software keeps it from happening again. There isn't a position sensor for that movement, it hits the mechanical stop and records how many motor turns it is from there.
Hi Joe,

February 2018 - using Mercedes Emergency Road Service 1-(800) number per the nearest M-B dealership - an immaculate service tech arrived at my place.

His M-B van (also spotless) was a part department on wheels. He replaced the age 6 battery (I'm both proactive AND ****), checked the charging system. I paid. He left.

Later I noted the previously absent steering wheel up and to the side was now operative. ........................the car is CPO and - since delivery - this feature was non-operational.

This feature has again vanished. I really don't need it.

Is there a downside to "leaving sleeping dogs alone" and doing nothing?

all the best, amigo

ez
Old 10-28-2018, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Hi Joe,

February 2018 - using Mercedes Emergency Road Service 1-(800) number per the nearest M-B dealership - an immaculate service tech arrived at my place.

His M-B van (also spotless) was a part department on wheels. He replaced the age 6 battery (I'm both proactive AND ****), checked the charging system. I paid. He left.

Later I noted the previously absent steering wheel up and to the side was now operative. ........................the car is CPO and - since delivery - this feature was non-operational.

This feature has again vanished. I really don't need it.

Is there a downside to "leaving sleeping dogs alone" and doing nothing?

all the best, amigo

ez
If it's stuck in the up position, it's probably jammed like we discuss in this thread. If it's not, it moves manually but doesn't do the easy exit up and down stuff automatically, it may need to be re-initialized using the Xentry tool, yes. It could have lost it's position when the battery was disconnected.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:12 PM

Mercedes C250 Coupe
HI JOE,

APPRECIATE - AS EVER - YOUR RESPONSE.

MY MB STEERING WHEEL REMAINS IN THE NORMAL DRIVING POSITION. DOES NOT SWING UP/OUT UPON DEPARTURE.

IT WAS LIKE THAT UNTIL NEW BATTERY INSTALL BY MB TECH AT MY HOME. THEN - IT DID SWING UP/OUT FOR A SPELL. NOW IT REMAINS IN THE DRIVING POSITION................WHICH IS OK WITH ME......AND HOPEFULLY THE COUPE!!

THANKS AGAIN, EZ
Old 11-01-2018, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
HI JOE,

APPRECIATE - AS EVER - YOUR RESPONSE.

MY MB STEERING WHEEL REMAINS IN THE NORMAL DRIVING POSITION. DOES NOT SWING UP/OUT UPON DEPARTURE.

IT WAS LIKE THAT UNTIL NEW BATTERY INSTALL BY MB TECH AT MY HOME. THEN - IT DID SWING UP/OUT FOR A SPELL. NOW IT REMAINS IN THE DRIVING POSITION................WHICH IS OK WITH ME......AND HOPEFULLY THE COUPE!!

THANKS AGAIN, EZ
Yes that would sound like the position isn't set, which would require it to be reprogrammed with Xentry, assuming you do have easy entry/exit turned on.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2013 E350 4Matic Coupe
Lightbulb Same problem and resolution on my 2013 C207 (E350 Coupe)

My 2013 E350 Coupe has the "4-way pwr tilt/telescopic steering column -inc: memory, programmable easy-exit feature" feature. The up and down adjustment stopped working recently when the temperature went below freezing and the car had been outside.

I discovered this thread via the Search function and tried many of the tips without success. Based on some additional research, I found the Mercedes Star Bulletin about the software upgrade for this problem (see attached file)

I spoke with the local Mercedes Service Department about having this software update applied. I was advised to that there would be a $209 "Diagnosis Charge" to have the SW update performed. I then asked to speak with the Service Manager about this charge. I was connected with the Senior Service Advisor who offered to look at car with no charge if I would bring it in.

He tried whacking the steering wheel from both the top and then the bottom while pressing the adjustment lever without success. He then said he would need to bring it into the shop to see if the Up-Down power motor adjustment was broken. I agreed to this.

It took approximately an hour to resolve the problem Here is what was done:
  • Cleared the code from the system to "Normalize" the system
  • Cleaned and re-lubed gear mechanism for the "up and down" motor adjustment
  • Applied the SW update
The the Senior Service Advisor did NOT charge me for the diagnosis charge for this service as "Customer Good Will" for my first time visit.

The dealership also washed the exterior and vacuumed the interior.

Going forward, I will leave the "easy-exit feature" turned off to minimize future problems.

I hope this information helps a fellow owner resolve this problem

Old 02-18-2019, 09:29 PM

C300
Same problem on 2014 C300 in/out okay, just click on up and sometimes click on down. Fiddled with switch, activated and deactivated convenience setting, banged a few times on steering wheel, fiddled with switch more, fiddled with switch more. Whaddya know, started working again. Keeping convenience setting off.

Thanks mbworld

Originally Posted by eXstasy
Encountered this issue today. No motor noise when using the tilt lever. Only a single click sound when pressing the lever upwards. No sound when pressing the lever downwards. Hitting my wheel does nothing to free it up.

Can anyone confirm that this is the part number for the new motor?

A 204-460-08-25

https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...bly-2044600825
Old 02-19-2019, 11:30 AM
CJG

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Just take it in and have them readjust the sensor. It takes five minutes. Otherwise it WILL happen again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel wont go up or down