C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Steering wheel wont go up or down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
SLK250
Smile 2014 SLK250 Tilt Steering DIY fix

I just purchased a 2014 SLK250 that is in excellent condition except for the Tilt Steering Up/Down did not work, however the In/Out did. I did some research and read quite a bit of posts that outlined this far fetched fix that went something like, banging on the steering wheel with your fist. Well, I'm here to tell you that the fix wasn't so far fetched after all. I won't drag this out too long as I hate reading long posts, but I decided to look into this and performed the following:
- I pulled the panel down that is held in place by three screws, revealing the underneath of the steering column.
- I located the two motors that drove the tilt up/down, in/out function.
- I actuated the switch on the column and saw the motor (with flexible drive shaft) that moved the in/out function of the tilt wheel.
- I actuated the switch for the up/down tilt function. What I observed in this case is that motor trying to turn in both directions as I moved the switch, however it appeared the flexible drive shaft was stuck.
(This brings me back to the "far fetched fix". That said, I thought to myself, "Nothing to lose, I might as well try it").
- I extended the steering wheel all the way out toward me.
- I smacked the steering wheel on the top with my hand while pressing the tilt switch down.
- I followed this up by smacking the steering wheel on the bottom while pressing the switch up.
- I repeated this a couple of times, and as sure as I'm writing this, it started working and has ever since.
I know it sounds crazy, but it truly does work, at least it did for me. Believe me, I thought this was as nuts as can be. In fact, this is the first MB Forum Post I've ever written, so I hope that says something. I truly hope this works for you as well and saves you some money.
Thank you...
The following 3 users liked this post by mbvaski:
Calgarian (05-27-2021), cybercord (04-30-2021), shnitzel (02-23-2020)
Old 02-24-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 w211 E350 base sedan
Fixed.
I was hearing the clicks but no movements up or down. Feel stuck or something.
Found on forums a dirty trick that helped me.
While pressing the lever for steering wheel to go down, with 2nd hand apply some pressure on the entire steering wheel and try to move it up and down. it started working again.
Now i Disabled this function just in case it gets stuck again.
2014 E350
Old 02-24-2019, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
SLK250
I'm glad this worked for you. However, I have not disabled my Auto exit feature, and my tilt still works fine.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:08 PM

N/A
Thanks MBvaski!
i did the same thing and it’s working again! Felt like I have a new car, lol. Thank You!

Its been bothering me for almost a year.

I didnt disable the feature either.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430
Fixed

N
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The motor jams in the up position, by default it runs up until it hits the mechanical stop every time you use the easy exit feature.

There is an updated motor that is bigger and stronger and doesn't jam up nearly as much.

You can install it yourself, if you're comfortable with working under the dash, remove the footwell panel and you should see both motors, it's the one on the side, try to actuate it and you will see one move and the other not. Fairly simple to change but not that cheap.

Or, you can whack the steering wheel with your hand downward and it will almost always free up and work for a good while. A nice application of grease on the little drive mechanism helps it not to jam up as often. The bulletin says to extend the wheel as far out as possible then strike it sharply with your hand downward while actuating the motor downward. The bulletin says to then perform a software update, I assume it turns the motor off at a lower torque so it doesn't jam as hard.
so I took your advice and it worked! Thank you for the write up. I have a 2014 ML 350 and mine was stuck in the up position. Ironically I just picked it up from the MB dealer after having the oil service done. Hadn’t had this problem before. Anyways I used the lever to extend the wheel all of the out. Then hit the down button and it just made a click but still didn’t move. I held the lever down and pounded the steering wheel down from the top with a couple punches and it still didn’t move but after letting go of the down lever and trying again it did move and seems to be fine now. Hopefully it stays this way. Maybe I’ll disengage the auto up down upon entry.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:58 AM
CJG

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by mikeywilz
N

so I took your advice and it worked! Thank you for the write up. I have a 2014 ML 350 and mine was stuck in the up position. Ironically I just picked it up from the MB dealer after having the oil service done. Hadn’t had this problem before. Anyways I used the lever to extend the wheel all of the out. Then hit the down button and it just made a click but still didn’t move. I held the lever down and pounded the steering wheel down from the top with a couple punches and it still didn’t move but after letting go of the down lever and trying again it did move and seems to be fine now. Hopefully it stays this way. Maybe I’ll disengage the auto up down upon entry.
It'll happen again,. The issue is that the steering wheel loses track of where it is in it's travel. It needs to be reset. It takes a dealer about five minutes.
The following users liked this post:
SMG_CT (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 10:08 AM

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
2014 CLS 550
Came out to my car and the steering wheel had the same problem in my cls550 2014 this morning. So I decided to check the forum and read this thread and adjusted the steering wheel all the way out and hit it down a few good times and it worked. Just thought I’d add my feedback about this method. Worked for me
Old 08-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2013 E350 4Matic Coupe
Lightbulb A bit of advice

Adjust the wheel to your preference and disabled my Auto exit feature,
Old 10-04-2019, 08:07 PM

2016 eclass cabriolet
2016 E class Cabriolet. Exact same problem, in and out but not up and down. Took to dealer first time. Was in the shop a hot minute. Did some sort of reset. Happened again, this time followed the suggestion above. Fully extended, rapped down on wheel while holding down on the lever and up while holding up on the lever. Had to do twice cause first time I was a little timid. Kind of have to hit it with some authority. Worked like a charm.
Dblok1113 (10-04-2019)
Old 04-10-2020, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
I have a 2013 GL450. This happened to me and I did a lot of research before I found this thread. It worked like a champ. I had to hold the switch in the down position and hit the top of the steering wheel a couple of times, then I held the switch in the up position and hit the bottom of the steering wheel a few times. I repeated this cycle about 3 or 4 times and just as I was about to give up, it started working! Amazing! Saved me a bunch of money! Thanks for the heads up!

Side note: I disabled the easy out feature until I can take the car in to get the upper and lower limits reset.

Last edited by Karl Decker; 04-10-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 CLS550
2015CLS550 auto up down feature has been acting up. It would delay before movement from up position. Today it delayed with then no movement.

i found this thread. Back out to the car, two firm hits on the steering wheel while holding the down command and presto - it works. I disabled the easy out feature for now.

gotta love this internet thingy.
Karl Decker (04-15-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 02:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2003 E320
As stated above the dogbone can be replaced, I would read this first though: https://www.youcanic.com/guide/merce...el-wont-adjust
Karl Decker (08-27-2020)
Old 07-08-2021, 06:27 AM

SLK 200 year 2012
The motor jams in the up position, by default it runs up until it hits the mechanical stop every time you use the easy exit feature.

There is an updated motor that is bigger and stronger and doesn't jam up nearly as much.

You can install it yourself, if you're comfortable with working under the dash, remove the footwell panel and you should see both motors, it's the one on the side, try to actuate it and you will see one move and the other not. Fairly simple to change but not that cheap.

Or, you can whack the steering wheel with your hand downward and it will almost always free up and work for a good while. A nice application of grease on the little drive mechanism helps it not to jam up as often. The bulletin says to extend the wheel as far out as possible then strike it sharply with your hand downward while actuating the motor downward. The bulletin says to then perform a software update, I assume it turns the motor off at a lower torque so it doesn't jam as hard.
Thank for the tips. Ive did it and its work. Just little bit whack and it goes normal again. Thanks for the tips guys... mine is normal again. I drive SLK 200 year 2012.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:30 AM

SLK 200 year 2012
Thank for the tips. Ive did it and its work. Just little bit whack and it goes normal

Thank for the tips. Ive did it and its work. Just little bit whack and it goes normal again. Thanks for the tips guys... mine is normal again. I drive SLK 200 year 2012
thegolffather (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 12:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C250, RRS HSE, BMW X1, ND Miata, 1973 Clubman GT
Originally Posted by Sani SLk Indone
Thank for the tips. Ive did it and its work. Just little bit whack and it goes normal again. Thanks for the tips guys... mine is normal again. I drive SLK 200 year 2012
Same here thank you