C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Infared Thermometer Suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C250
All done but I got a new problem....maybe....
I drove the car around and I notice that I have some fluid leaking through the area as seen in the picture. See beneath the green tubing that grove where the housing meets the transmission.
I confirmed no leaks around pan, pan bolt, and even checked to see if the torque tube bolt is leaking and confirmed that it is not.

The only thing I can think is when I was draining the torque tube I did not use a chute so it got a bit messy and definitely leaked into the housing. ?? What do you think?
I also started to second guess myself and started thinking maybe I overfilled the transmission ( I measure what I took out and put in and in the end what I took out and it seems to be right at 9.5 liters. I dont think this would occur for being over at most 1/2 a quart ...??

Infared Thermometer Suggestions-dsc03699.jpg

Last edited by St.Christopher; 06-07-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
how much came out & how much did you pump back in? were you able to measure the amount you back drained before you closed the plug?

if you didnt use a chute i would bet that is residual fluid that has pooled in the housing.

while we were draining i had fluid coming out of that location as well when it missed the chute. i would clean as much as you can and monitor it. if its leaking you'll know for sure. but it makes sense that is just a result of the TQ drain mess.

what did you end up measuring the temperature with?
when the car arrived in my garage it was hot from about 2 hours of driving. about an hour and a half later when we hooked it up to refill it the temp sensor was still indicating around 39 degrees. i was surprised it was still so warm, esp in a cold air conditioned garage.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:59 PM

C250
Originally Posted by B737
how much came out & how much did you pump back in? were you able to measure the amount you back drained before you closed the plug?

if you didnt use a chute i would bet that is residual fluid that has pooled in the housing.

while we were draining i had fluid coming out of that location as well when it missed the chute. i would clean as much as you can and monitor it. if its leaking you'll know for sure. but it makes sense that is just a result of the TQ drain mess.

what did you end up measuring the temperature with?
when the car arrived in my garage it was hot from about 2 hours of driving. about an hour and a half later when we hooked it up to refill it the temp sensor was still indicating around 39 degrees. i was surprised it was still so warm, esp in a cold air conditioned garage.
I got about 8 liters out. Then in total pumped approximately 9 liters and when it drained to sputter about 3/4 to 1 liter came out. So seems real close to the 9.5 liters that are supposed to be in car.

I used a in infrared thermometer. Worked real good..

Yea I had no chute and it was slopping in and out. The torque converter bolt is not the problem because I turned the engine to make sure and its dry as can be....I will keep an eye on it but the residual on the torque tube drain had to go some where! Thanks ....PITA, I plan on selling the car before I have to do this again...
Old 06-07-2017, 08:10 PM

2012 GLK
lol i know the feeling! job well done. now i need to do my glk
Old 06-07-2017, 09:27 PM

C250
I ended up going to Mercedes Benz near my home and buying 6 new pan bolts ...just in case I did not want to do this twice. Hell, the clean up took me awhile too...all the tools everywhere, oil everywhere, pouring the old oil into containers....yuk ...the whole process is not worth saving 250 bucks. Maybe, doing it on your own makes it even worse...Might be allot easier the second time around
I wish you luck on the GLK!

Last edited by St.Christopher; 06-07-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:13 AM

2012 GLK
dude, my garage looked like a bomb went off in it. crap everywhere. just the nature of the beast. i usually spend hours cleaning up after the cars are done, its kind of therapeutic.

if this took you 5 hours this time, it will take you 2 hours next time. i think you saved a lot more than $250, since the dealers in NJ seem to be asking around $1200 for this and most of them flat out tell you they dont do TQ. it was an odd feeling to be measuring removed fluid vs just dumping it into a catch basin, that was a first.

i dont understand why they cant just say "remove fluid" and "pump in exactly xx.x liters", why cant it just be a set number?

I understand variations in fluid coming out since a car may arrive at a dealer hot, like the C300 we did, i think the extra .3L was mostly because the fluid was well over 120 degrees when we removed it. its silly to use this quantity, then say add an extra .5, then back drain. maybe there are variations in transmissions internals that for sake of simplicity, they use a more general procedure such as this to make it easier for the techs and less confusing. but how bad could it be?

another example is toyota simply uses 3 plugs. Drain, fill, and full plugs on transmissions.

Last edited by B737; 06-08-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:44 AM

C250
Originally Posted by B737
dude, my garage looked like a bomb went off in it. crap everywhere. just the nature of the beast. i usually spend hours cleaning up after the cars are done, its kind of therapeutic.

if this took you 5 hours this time, it will take you 2 hours next time. i think you saved a lot more than $250, since the dealers in NJ seem to be asking around $1200 for this and most of them flat out tell you they dont do TQ. it was an odd feeling to be measuring removed fluid vs just dumping it into a catch basin, that was a first.

i dont understand why they cant just say "remove fluid" and "pump in exactly xx.x liters", why cant it just be a set number?

I understand variations in fluid coming out since a car may arrive at a dealer hot, like the C300 we did, i think the extra .3L was mostly because the fluid was well over 120 degrees when we removed it. its silly to use this quantity, then say add an extra .5, then back drain. maybe there are variations in transmissions internals that for sake of simplicity, they use a more general procedure such as this to make it easier for the techs and less confusing. but how bad could it be?

another example is toyota simply uses 3 plugs. Drain, fill, and full plugs on transmissions.
Actually i got a quote locally after I purchased everything and it was too late to do it with the torque converter for 550.00. Reality is would they actually do the torque converter? At least I know I did it right ...I guess.

Yep my nissan 370z has two drain plugs you drain with lower plug, pump in upper plug tell it comes out the same hole. When its done dribbling out replace bolt....easy. Like a differential...

By the way I changed the differential fluid on the Merc. and thank god its that easy too...