C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Complete power failure while driving...HELP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300
Complete power failure while driving...HELP?

Hello everyone,

I am new the forum.

I own a 2008 C300 with 52,000 miles on it.

I've never had a problem with the car, passed an A service review without issue back in March.

Passed the Maine state inspection without a problem at the end of May.

So, onto the problem.....

This morning I went out and started my car, about 15-20 seconds later it dies in the driveway while in the park position idling. So, I restart it, and sure enough a few moments later it dies again.

I attempt to drive to the gym (6 mile drive) and the car does it 2 or 3 times on the way to the gym.

On the way back from the gym, I notice I was rather low on gas...so I filled it up the max. Same place I always get gas.

Problem happened 1 or 2 more times on the way back to the house.

I park the car, leaving it on...run inside to grab my lunch for work....car is dead again.

I attempt to drive to work and it just keeps happening.....

It's a complete power failure. Every gauge goes dead, I have to pull over...put the car in park, remove the key, put the key back in and starts up without issue....not a problem at all.....this continues to happen all morning for my 25 mile drive to work. Probably happened about 15-20 times on the way to work.

So, I take the car out for a stroll at lunch to see if the problem continued because we had a really bad thunder storm last night and the car was parked outside during the storm while i was at the gym. I drove home from the gym without any issues.

At lunch, the problem started to manifest itself in a complete power loss sputter, meaning the I could feel the engine kick off, all of the gauges would go dead but after about 1 or 2 seconds everything would come back on and the car would continue down the road. In my 15 minute drive at lunch, this happened close to 10 times. The car did completely die twice, which I was forced to pull over, park it, remove the key and reinsert the key to start it back up.

The gas gauge, RPM gauge, speedometer, all of it goes completely dead, but the car will start right back up without issue.

I took a 2 minute video of the instrument cluster and I have uploaded it to Youtube so people can review it.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBfr...ature=youtu.be

At the end of the video the car completely dies, so I pull over and end the video.

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe just a loose battery connection?

I know a lot of people have said Crank Shaft Sensor....but that doesn't cause every gauge, including a fuel level gauge to go completely dead does it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by IceHot; 06-01-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Seen this happen to a 7th gen Honda Accord Coupe. Ended up being the ECU, but it never cut power to the engine.

Not saying this is your cause, but the symptoms (regarding the gauge cluster loosing power in the video) was the same.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Hi
I would check that the battery terminals are tight, if that is okay then with the car idling would start rigging everything I could get my hands on to see if the problem could be isolated.

If unsuccessful then book it in at the dealers.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300
Had to take it to the dealer.

Ended up being the Electronic Steering Module. It was malfunctioning with an "Internal Electrical Fault."
Good thing it was covered by the extended limited warranty that expires on June 13th of this month.
The following users liked this post:
Carsy (06-05-2017)