C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is this normal? Car idles funny from a cold start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300
Is this normal? Car idles funny from a cold start

I noticed today when I turned on my car after work. It feels like its bouncing a little/rocking back and forth just a tiny bit. After I drove to the first light it idled just fine.

edit: just to be clear... i had to sit there and focus on it to really notice it was happening. I will try again today after work and see if it still happens. It DOES NOT feel like its going to stall.

Last edited by Aimbit; 07-03-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Aimbit
I noticed today when I turned on my car after work. It feels like its bouncing a little/rocking back and forth just a tiny bit. After I drove to the first light it idled just fine.

Mine does that sometimes on a warm start. I've been meaning to catch it with Torque to see if the engine is in close loop or open loop mode.

I think it happens when the car goes into open loop mode too soon but someone with better knowledge may be able to answer better.

Do you have a C250? It seems there are more reports of this on the 4 cylinder engine.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Yes it's normal. Car runs rich. I don't recall if this car has SAI but anyways... This is normal.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Originally Posted by Aimbit
My C350 2008 did it once in its life recently. I changed the oil/filter previous day.

After reversing the car out of garage when cold and parked on steep decline in front of garage to give it a wash. When I then started it, it did this uneven rich running with a bit of smoke, never had this.

I checked the oil level and removed 1 litre, had it overfilled. It never did that again so far.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I would disagree that it is "normal". Should idle consistently when starting, cold or warm. Now is it something serious? From your brief description doesn't sound like anything to be concerned with, at least right now. If it was a one time thing I wouldn't worry about it, but if the rpms bounce around consistently that is not how how it is designed to work.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Alfadude
I would disagree that it is "normal". Should idle consistently when starting, cold or warm. Now is it something serious? From your brief description doesn't sound like anything to be concerned with, at least right now. If it was a one time thing I wouldn't worry about it, but if the rpms bounce around consistently that is not how how it is designed to work.
No. When the engine is cold the car is designed to get the catalytic converter to operating temp as quickly as possible. That's why the car runs rich and the idle is higher then about 30 seconds after idle. Almost all cars are designed this way.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
I've seen many mentions of this with the 4 cylinder cars. Mine will do it on occasion if it is warm (had been run about 4 hours prior on a hot day). Once I give it some throttle it will go away. It's always done that. The car bounces around and feels like it's about to stall. Kind of like an old lawn mower that is cold.

I tried to have the dealer look at it but it resulted in the typical "unable to reproduce" diagnosis.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by michail71
I've seen many mentions of this with the 4 cylinder cars. Mine will do it on occasion if it is warm (had been run about 4 hours prior on a hot day). Once I give it some throttle it will go away. It's always done that. The car bounces around and feels like it's about to stall. Kind of like an old lawn mower that is cold.

I tried to have the dealer look at it but it resulted in the typical "unable to reproduce" diagnosis.
Ok, no, it's not supposed to be THAT severe. What mileage do you have on the car?

That to me either sounds like excessive buildup of carbon on the intake valve or a coil pack that's on it's way to heaven. (or in this case, hell!)
Old 07-03-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
What you're describing sounds like a large vacuum leak almost stalling out the engine rather than running rich...

Vacuum leaks are fairly hard to pinpoint without doing a lot of poking around. Do you have any fault codes that you know of? If you know of a good mechanic other than the dealership you should probably take it to them. It took me weeks to figure out where the vacuum leak was in my car..and it turned out to be two, rather than one.

Last edited by Funkwagen; 07-03-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
No. When the engine is cold the car is designed to get the catalytic converter to operating temp as quickly as possible. That's why the car runs rich and the idle is higher then about 30 seconds after idle. Almost all cars are designed this way.
Yes, the engine management adjusts for a cold or warm start and other conditions, but the idle should be smooth and consistent no matter what. Idle RPM could be higher when cold and then go down as it warms up, but they should not bounce around. At least that is how I interpreted the OP's original issue.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Ok, no, it's not supposed to be THAT severe. What mileage do you have on the car?

That to me either sounds like excessive buildup of carbon on the intake valve or a coil pack that's on it's way to heaven. (or in this case, hell!)
I'm not the OP but mine isn't that sever. It is a vague feeling like it wants to stall. It can on occasion feel rough when the car is warm but not cold. Typical case it happens is when I go out to lunch from work. The temps are in the 90s and the car has been sitting for 3-4 hours. It is always hot outside when it happens.

It has never happened on a cold start. Not that it gets cold where I live but if the temps are cool it tents to not happen as well.

It may feel rough and not even show any variation on the tack. If I let it sit it may smooth after 30-60 seconds. Or if I just pop the throttle it will smooth out.

It has 50K miles now and it has been doing it since I got it with 20K miles.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Yes, the engine management adjusts for a cold or warm start and other conditions, but the idle should be smooth and consistent no matter what. Idle RPM could be higher when cold and then go down as it warms up, but they should not bounce around. At least that is how I interpreted the OP's original issue.
Fair point.

I think it really comes down to what the definition of "bouncing around" means. On my C300, when the ECU has the engine running rich, I'm in the 850rpm to 950pm range - definitely nothing close to stalling or puttering out.

On my B7 A4 (similar to the C300 - 4 cylinder DI engine), it would idle pretty rough and bounce between 750rpm and 950rpm - again, nothing close to stalling, but it was certainly running rich and the idle was far from smooth.

On the V6 C300 that I have, I can tell it's a bit rough, but it's still pretty vibration free given the fact that it's a V6. On the C250, I can draw an analogy to the A4 but again, I'm not saying that an engine about to putter out and come back to life is normal. That seems like excessive vibration to me.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Fair point.

I think it really comes down to what the definition of "bouncing around" means. On my C300, when the ECU has the engine running rich, I'm in the 850rpm to 950pm range - definitely nothing close to stalling or puttering out.

On my B7 A4 (similar to the C300 - 4 cylinder DI engine), it would idle pretty rough and bounce between 750rpm and 950rpm - again, nothing close to stalling, but it was certainly running rich and the idle was far from smooth.

On the V6 C300 that I have, I can tell it's a bit rough, but it's still pretty vibration free given the fact that it's a V6. On the C250, I can draw an analogy to the A4 but again, I'm not saying that an engine about to putter out and come back to life is normal. That seems like excessive vibration to me.
It's about the point where an aware driver would notice. I'm not sure the average person would say it seems a bit rich, lol. With the AC and radio cranked up one would not notice what I'm getting at all. There is just an ever so slight bounce in the car. However, it does give me memories of driving my 70s era cars as a young teen. Hell, I think I had a car with a manual choke.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by michail71
It's about the point where an aware driver would notice. I'm not sure the average person would say it seems a bit rich, lol. With the AC and radio cranked up one would not notice what I'm getting at all. There is just an ever so slight bounce in the car. However, it does give me memories of driving my 70s era cars as a young teen. Hell, I think I had a car with a manual choke.
I see, then I would say it's around normal. I think it'd be worthwhile taking a video of your tachometer when you start the car.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
I see, then I would say it's around normal. I think it'd be worthwhile taking a video of your tachometer when you start the car.
What's odd is it looks steady while not feeling that way. I even pulled up the RPMs on Torque once while it was doing it and didn't see anything that looked unusual.

Now that it's in the 90s it seems to happen more often. I'll see if I can get that for curiosity sake.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
4-cyl C250 observations.....

RPM at start higher than normal

Higher RPM attenuates w/ warm-up.

ez
Old 07-05-2017, 05:16 AM

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
2016 S550
Cold engine does not idle the same as when at operating temp. In fact, the RPM would be slightly higher for about a minute. Why? As mentioned above, for emissions related reasons. Your SMOG pump runs during this time and you can even hear it whine before it shuts off and idle goes to normal.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300
I am going to let the car idle again when I start it today after work and see what happens. I'll note the RPMs and anything else. But as far as I can remember everything appears normal. The dealer actually called me today asking how the car was holding up and I told him about this he said to bring it in and they will have a look.