C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Windshield replacement

So my C300 has a long crack on the windshield and according to my insurance company, it would need full replacement. It 2012 C300. So the question to you gurus here is should i go with the dealership to get it replaced or go with local autoglass shops? what would be the price to replace a C300 windshield from dealership and local shops? thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Have dealer do it.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Only accept Benz glass!!!!!!!!!!! Don't let the insurance company talk you out of it either.

Also, if the dealer screws it up or anything else they'll make it right.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
C250 2013
I had mine replaced by the dealer for around $850.00. My insurance paid $365.00 and I paid the rest.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:25 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by IloveC300
So my C300 has a long crack on the windshield and according to my insurance company, it would need full replacement. It 2012 C300. So the question to you gurus here is should i go with the dealership to get it replaced or go with local autoglass shops? what would be the price to replace a C300 windshield from dealership and local shops? thanks in advance.
I would definitely get the OEM replacement. But this does not necessarily mean that your dealer has to do the work. In fact, there is a good likelihood that your Mercedes-Benz dealer might subcontract the work to a non-Mercedes-Benz glass repair shop.

It all depends on where you are, and what is available in your area. Call a few repair shops to see what they have to offer, and call your dealer and inquire whether they do the work or not.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:28 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by michail71
Don't let the insurance company talk you out of it either.
That might depend on what is stated in his policy. Some policies include provisions that aftermarket parts are the first option, and/or the decision is made at the insurer's discretion.

Also, if the dealer screws it up or anything else they'll make it right.
One could assume that any reputable business would do that though...
Old 07-04-2017, 10:36 PM

Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by IGB
I would definitely get the OEM replacement. But this does not necessarily mean that your dealer has to do the work. In fact, there is a good likelihood that your Mercedes-Benz dealer might subcontract the work to a non-Mercedes-Benz glass repair shop.

It all depends on where you are, and what is available in your area. Call a few repair shops to see what they have to offer, and call your dealer and inquire whether they do the work or not.

My experience was that the Dealer did indeed subcontract to Safelite who used an aftermarket glass..same tint and was happy with the job.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:11 AM

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S550
When I replaced mine about two years ago at independent shop, it costed me $468 out the door, using the same OE brand glass that was on the car (Pilkington). Some have also said Saint-Gobain (SEKURIT) was used by Mercedes as well. The only difference was it didn't have a MB logo above the brand name. Go ahead and check out your windshield brand, right below the MB logo is the brand.

At that time, the independent shop said they could replace it with MB glass from the dealer but would cost about $580. Dealer wanted upwards of $600 if I remember right.

Anyway, if your insurance deductible is $500 or more, best if you just take it to a reputable windshield replacement Independant shop using original brand glass.

It's a C Class, not a Rolls Royce... nothing special about the procedure and gasket. You'll still get the same exact wind noise that these
w204s come with.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by 95Sinned420
When I replaced mine about two years ago at independent shop, it costed me $468 out the door, using the same OE brand glass that was on the car (Pilkington). Some have also said Saint-Gobain (SEKURIT) was used by Mercedes as well. The only difference was it didn't have a MB logo above the brand name. Go ahead and check out your windshield brand, right below the MB logo is the brand.

At that time, the independent shop said they could replace it with MB glass from the dealer but would cost about $580. Dealer wanted upwards of $600 if I remember right.

Anyway, if your insurance deductible is $500 or more, best if you just take it to a reputable windshield replacement Independant shop using original brand glass.

It's a C Class, not a Rolls Royce... nothing special about the procedure and gasket. You'll still get the same exact wind noise that these
w204s come with.
FWIW, when I had my windshield replaced I did it through the dealer which of course used OEM parts. However, they did bill the insurance company for a MB sticker, which I assume is the logo. Does the logo not come on the glass? (btw, it's been a while so maybe my recollection of this is wrong, but this is how I seem to recall it)
Old 07-05-2017, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by gamma300C
My experience was that the Dealer did indeed subcontract to Safelite who used an aftermarket glass..same tint and was happy with the job.
I had a non OEM Safelite windshield put in on a previous car and I absolutely hated it. It was full of distortions and just didn't look right. Light was bending in way too many places.

It was 12 years ago so perhaps they have gotten better since.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
The signature logo is a sticker. The glass is also imprinted with the Mercedes star on OEM glass.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S550
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
FWIW, when I had my windshield replaced I did it through the dealer which of course used OEM parts. However, they did bill the insurance company for a MB sticker, which I assume is the logo. Does the logo not come on the glass? (btw, it's been a while so maybe my recollection of this is wrong, but this is how I seem to recall it)
Yes, the sticker is separate and does not come with the glass.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
I had a non OEM Safelite windshield put in on a previous car and I absolutely hated it. It was full of distortions and just didn't look right. Light was bending in way too many places.

It was 12 years ago so perhaps they have gotten better since.
I just got mine replaced last year with Safelite but they used the OEM glass. Non-OEM glass wasn't even an option.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:44 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by edgalang
I just got mine replaced last year with Safelite but they used the OEM glass. Non-OEM glass wasn't even an option.
Do you mind sharing how much they charged for the OEM glass?

I see you are in Cali and I know that unless your windshield was damaged in an accident, insurance isn't paying a dime.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R8, C63, C300
I went with Safelite. I went with their aftermarket glass for a few reasons.
Car is paid off, has a ton of miles on it, and I plan to drive this car into the ground. If I planned to re-sell the car at a future date, then I would've went with OEM glass. I can't remember the exact cost, it was around $450-500.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:55 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Found this interesting article: "Repair or Replace Your Windshield the Right Way - An Incorrect Installation Could Cost You Your Life"

Which, interestingly enough, provides a link where you can search for the "Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standards Council (agrss.org)".... And though Safelite seems to be the name that comes up top in "windshield repair replace" searches, as well as being the name that came up here a couple of times, it appears they are NOT certified by the AGRSS Council... Instead, and in my So Cal area, I am getting "AllStar Glass" as the company with most locations.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
I went with a highly rated auto glass shop and chose to replace my windshield with aftermarket glass.

I think I paid around $200 out the door for supposedly comparable quality to OEM. My car is over 8 years old now, I don't think $800 is worth it anymore for me.

The guys at the shop were highly knowledgeable and gave me the option of whatever glass I wanted, OEM or otherwise. The only difference between my current glass and the OEM is the mercedes benz symbol on the bottom left. They transferred my Mercedes signature sticker from my oem glass, and offered to install a new one if I wanted them to order it for $20 from the dealership. The old one isn't as clean since its been removed and reapplied but I can always get a fresh one for cheap whenever I want.

You can't go wrong either way imo.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
I had mine replaced at the dealer knowing full well they would sub contract it out to an auto glass company my reasoning was this:
The auto glass company would know the dealership standards and requires must be returned to showroom condition.
If there was a problem which there was not then I would drop it off at the dealership and inform them there is a problem please fix it and ring me when you have completed it.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Labor and parts at the dealership to replace my windshield with OEM parts and crap came out to $1100 Canadian.

Just a FYI.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by IGB
Do you mind sharing how much they charged for the OEM glass?

I see you are in Cali and I know that unless your windshield was damaged in an accident, insurance isn't paying a dime.
I guess you need to change your source of information since my insurance covered most of the damage. Out of pocket, this incident cost me $50 since that is what my Glass Deductible is.

Looking at the receipt now...

Part Subtotal = $718
Labor = $60
Tax = 66.50
Total = $845.45

I was then instructed by my insurance provider to go to the dealer to get my rain sensor and lane assist camera "calibrated" and that would cost another $190.

UNFORTUNATELY...the dude who replaced my windshield also accidentally blew a fuse reconnecting the windshield sensors so the dealer charged another $190 to trouble shoot that. Luckily the additional $380 was also covered by insurance.

Overall this was a $1,225.45 of which I only paid $50 for. Oh and I'm insured by Geico.

P.S.
I went with Safelite because that is what my insurance provider recommended when I reported the incident. Initially they asked me to go to a Safelite store to have my windshield repaired for free, however, after inspection, it was deemed unrepairable since the crack was right at the edge. I was then given the option for a complete replacement for $50 and they even offered to do it out of my own garage. When I asked the dealer how much they would have charged, he mentioned the glass may have been around mid $600, but the hourly labor would also be more so it would have been a wash, and I would have had to leave the car at the dealership (but I might have also gotten a loaner, so I guess this decision is based on your time/availability).

Overall I am EXTREMELY satisfied with both Safelite and Geico. I won't blame the installer too much about the blown fuse since it was directly related to my dashcam and he was simply trying to help reconnect it. Next time however (if there is a next time), I'll make sure to instruct the installer to leave the dashcam/radar detector wiring alone so I can do it myself at a later time.

Last edited by edgalang; 07-07-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by IloveC300
OEM or not is up to you. I believe the dealer will only do OEM, but a glass shop will give you options.

MORE important than the glass (since I'm assuming that decision is based on funds) is HOW they replace your windshield. The old method is via a blade, whereas the new method is by wire. The wire method may cost a tad more (since the wire is not reusable) but will leave ZERO marks on the car. The blade method would most likely cut into the paint under the glass leaving it exposed to rust and future leaks (even though it cannot be seen).
Old 07-07-2017, 09:16 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Looking at the receipt now...

Part Subtotal = $718
Labor = $60
Tax = 66.50
Total = $845.45.
First and foremost, I appreciate you digging up the cost info.... This will certainly be very helpful. Thank you very much...

As for this:

QUOTE=edgalang;7202620]I guess you need to change your source of information since my insurance covered most of the damage. Out of pocket, this incident cost me $50 since that is what my Glass Deductible is.[/QUOTE]

I think we are talking about two different things. You mention "damage" ^^up here butbthe you also see fiber the cause for the damage as being an "incident" and added thatbtheh crack (suggesting it was more than a chip) ring at the edge...

I went with Safelite because that is what my insurance provider recommended when I reported the incident. Initially they asked me to go to a Safelite store to have my windshield repaired for free, however, after inspection, it was deemed unrepairable since the crack was right at the edge.
I don't know what type of "incident" caused tbe crack With it being a crack at the edge, it compromises the strength of the entire windshield which then becomes a safety hazards, insurance is then obligated to cover it's replacement under the comprehensive coverage of the policy. (They may even choose to cover it under the uninsured motorist policy provision if it was caused by an object flying off of a vehicle that did not stop to be identified).

The damage I have, is more along the lines of 2 small chips that are hardly noticeable, and a general pitted appearance as I am driving with the sun in front of me. Unless it is an extreme case where the pitted windshield is obstructing the driver's view, or if the chip develops into a crack that reaches any edge, insurance will not cover it at all!

Thanks again for the cost info.....
Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
MORE important than the glass (since I'm assuming that decision is based on funds) is HOW they replace your windshield. The old method is via a blade, whereas the new method is by wire. The wire method may cost a tad more (since the wire is not reusable) but will leave ZERO marks on the car. The blade method would most likely cut into the paint under the glass leaving it exposed to rust and future leaks (even though it cannot be seen).
^^^THIS^^^ is an excellent point.

The type of primer and type of adhesive that they use as well as the curing time thay you must allow before driving the vehicle are also very critical.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 M_B C300 ... Wife drives a 2007 GL450
I have to have mine done to.... If you can find a place that uses PGW glass ... That's the best ... Best quality, no wavy look when looking though glass ... Pretty much like factory glass
Old 07-07-2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by IGB
First and foremost, I appreciate you digging up the cost info.... This will certainly be very helpful. Thank you very much...

As for this:

QUOTE=edgalang;7202620]I guess you need to change your source of information since my insurance covered most of the damage. Out of pocket, this incident cost me $50 since that is what my Glass Deductible is.
I think we are talking about two different things. You mention "damage" ^^up here butbthe you also see fiber the cause for the damage as being an "incident" and added thatbtheh crack (suggesting it was more than a chip) ring at the edge...

I don't know what type of "incident" caused tbe crack With it being a crack at the edge, it compromises the strength of the entire windshield which then becomes a safety hazards, insurance is then obligated to cover it's replacement under the comprehensive coverage of the policy. (They may even choose to cover it under the uninsured motorist policy provision if it was caused by an object flying off of a vehicle that did not stop to be identified).

The damage I have, is more along the lines of 2 small chips that are hardly noticeable, and a general pitted appearance as I am driving with the sun in front of me. Unless it is an extreme case where the pitted windshield is obstructing the driver's view, or if the chip develops into a crack that reaches any edge, insurance will not cover it at all!

Thanks again for the cost info.....[/QUOTE]

To be clear, I believe my crack may have been started by a pebble that I did not notice until the very next morning when I reported it. By the time I got an appointment to go in (2-3 days later), the crack grew bigger and eventually was deemed unrepairable. I was also pleasantly surprised that "glass incident" was treated differently than comprehensive, hence only the $50 deductible.

As for glass coverage (at least with Geico), if there is ANY crack smaller than a dollar bill anywhere that is not at the edge, Geico will have Safelite repair it FREE of charge. If it is not repairable, it will be replaced with a $50 deductible.

Last edited by edgalang; 07-07-2017 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added *** to separate OP comments.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement