C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

High Pressure Fuel Pump replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
High Pressure Fuel Pump replacement

I'm waiting to see now if Mercedes will cover my HPFP out of warranty since I had logged several service complaints about it starting at around 26,000 miles to just before the warranty ran out at the 4 year mark.

It seems to be a common failure on these cars.

In order to make my decision if they say no coverage has anyone here done the pump on their own? Reconditioned ones go around $300 and new seems to be around $800-$1,000+.

I see it's located under the rear seat.
The following users liked this post:
tripper80 (09-05-2019)
Old 07-11-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 C350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by michail71
I'm waiting to see now if Mercedes will cover my HPFP out of warranty since I had logged several service complaints about it starting at around 26,000 miles to just before the warranty ran out at the 4 year mark.

In order to make my decision if they say no coverage has anyone here done the pump on their own? Reconditioned ones go around $300 and new seems to be around $800-$1,000+.

The HPFP is located at the back of the engine mounted directly to the back (there is lifter style gear that the drives the pump off of the valvetrain of the engine). I know, I replaced one recently. I also have a spare HPFP if you need one and are paying out of pocket. (let me know) I can get a picture of the part and part # for your reference. They're pretty robust overall and I replaced mine thinking it was bad (and it was not), hence why I have a spare now. I got mine at M-B Canada cost ($583) as apposed to $890 retail as a "goodwill" jesture. The pump in the tank (under the back seat as you mention) is not the HPFP, that is the electric in tank "lift pump" that simply delivers fuel up the HPFP in the engine compartment. M-B has replaced many HPFP in warranty due to "noise complaints"..... there is really nothing wrong with them, other than sounding like a diesel engine at idle... LOL. The new warranty replacement ones are much quieter but still have the telltale "direct injection" clicking noise....
Good luck on getting it covered, you never know.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car

HPFP's are expensive as ***** and I had a few fail when I had a direct injected car.

For the record for this forum, for naysayers who say that my whining about DI cars is unwarranted...

Here's one case. That one HPFP replacement bill costs more than all the fuel savings for the life of that car because it is DI injected vs PFI cars.

Ha.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:17 PM

2012 C350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
HPFP's are expensive as ***** and I had a few fail when I had a direct injected car.

For the record for this forum, for naysayers who say that my whining about DI cars is unwarranted...

Here's one case. That one HPFP replacement bill costs more than all the fuel savings for the life of that car because it is DI injected vs PFI cars.

Ha.
You really do live up to your forum name, I have to say... and I've answered some of your concern's in the past about DI. Just because you say the sky is falling, does not make it so. LOL. And HPFP's are not "expensive as *****" in all cases, at least not in the M276 engine ($600 is very reasonable IMHO).
Old 07-11-2017, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by pozi240
The HPFP is located at the back of the engine mounted directly to the back (there is lifter style gear that the drives the pump off of the valvetrain of the engine). I know, I replaced one recently. I also have a spare HPFP if you need one and are paying out of pocket. (let me know) I can get a picture of the part and part # for your reference. They're pretty robust overall and I replaced mine thinking it was bad (and it was not), hence why I have a spare now. I got mine at M-B Canada cost ($583) as apposed to $890 retail as a "goodwill" jesture. The pump in the tank (under the back seat as you mention) is not the HPFP, that is the electric in tank "lift pump" that simply delivers fuel up the HPFP in the engine compartment. M-B has replaced many HPFP in warranty due to "noise complaints"..... there is really nothing wrong with them, other than sounding like a diesel engine at idle... LOL. The new warranty replacement ones are much quieter but still have the telltale "direct injection" clicking noise....
That makes sense. My experience with HPFPs is they are near the valvetrain. I had an Audi FSI engine so I had to make occasional cam follower checks and I upgraded mine to a performance pump. On the Audi engine it's super easy.

The Internet is full of stories about the C-Class and fuel cuts under WOT. Sometimes replacing the pump doesn't seem to fix the issue.

It may last the life of the car as is but it's scary when you pull out into heavy traffic and the car's power just drops.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:27 PM

2012 C350 4Matic Sport
That makes sense. My experience with HPFPs is they are near the valvetrain. I had an Audi FSI engine so I had to make occasional cam follower checks and I upgraded mine to a performance pump. On the Audi engine it's super easy.

The Internet is full of stories about the C-Class and fuel cuts under WOT. Sometimes replacing the pump doesn't seem to fix the issue.

It may last the life of the car as is but it's scary when you pull out into heavy traffic and the car's power just drops.
Interesting, mine never displayed that problem (I had other issues not related to WOT) at all... that sounds like further digging and yours could truly be "bad"...
Old 07-11-2017, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
I posted about it going back over a year ago in another thread here. Basically under full throttle the power just drops, check engine light comes on and the car does sort of a low powered limp mode - high RPMS with no power. The limp mode goes away on the next key cycle and after a few on/off cycles the CEL clears.

Scanning with torque shows a P0002 code. Which is a generic fueling code.
The following 2 users liked this post by michail71:
Alexey Mukhin (01-11-2022), ChazThePhoenix (12-28-2018)
Old 07-11-2017, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
You really do live up to your forum name, I have to say... and I've answered some of your concern's in the past about DI. Just because you say the sky is falling, does not make it so. LOL. And HPFP's are not "expensive as *****" in all cases, at least not in the M276 engine ($600 is very reasonable IMHO).
You're reaching here. I never said the sky is falling, just that my experience with direct injected engines has been poor. Direct Injection is a relatively new technology in series production vehicles. The technology in question involves the use of more parts and technologies. (such as HPFP, piezo injectors etc).

More parts usually indicate a higher probability of something needing replacing in the vehicle.

It's simple math and science. 'tis all.
xsever (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 01:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 C300 Sport 4Matic
You're reaching here. I never said the sky is falling, just that my experience with direct injected engines has been poor. Direct Injection is a relatively new technology in series production vehicles. The technology in question involves the use of more parts and technologies. (such as HPFP, piezo injectors etc).

More parts usually indicate a higher probability of something needing replacing in the vehicle.

It's simple math and science. 'tis all.
This has to be one of the funniest statements I've seen in all the forum worlds.
"The technology in question involves the use of more parts and technologies". PRICELESS .
Piezo scares ya? HPFP? LOFL!
Freindly advice, more reading, less typing.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Spider 2000
This has to be one of the funniest statements I've seen in all the forum worlds.
"The technology in question involves the use of more parts and technologies". PRICELESS .
Piezo scares ya? HPFP? LOFL!
Freindly advice, more reading, less typing.

Yeah, replacing a HPFP is definitely more infrequent than replacing traditional fuel pumps.

And it costs less, much much less.

Friendly advice, learn what you're actually talking about.
The following 2 users liked this post by superangrypenguin:
HBguy (08-23-2022), xsever (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
That one HPFP replacement bill costs more than all the fuel savings for the life of that car because it is DI injected vs PFI cars.
just that my experience with direct injected engines has been poor. Direct Injection is a relatively new technology in series production vehicles. The technology in question involves the use of more parts and technologies. (such as HPFP, piezo injectors etc).

Yeah, replacing a HPFP is definitely more infrequent than replacing traditional fuel pumps.

And it costs less, much much less.
My good friend who works at the local Mercedes Benz dealership as a mechanic echoes what you are saying and keeps warning me to stay away from DI engines as I'm starting to look for a new car (most likely a '12 C300 4Matic with the M272 engine to stay away from the DI M276).

Although he would benefit a lot financially since I do all my repairs at his private shop, he has so many stories about DI engines he works on at the dealership (non-return valves (check valves), left and right secondary chain tensioners, high-pressure fuel pumps, and the piezo injectors) and he always says that yes that engine might be very smooth and fuel efficient, but one trip to the dealership and all those fuel savings are negated by the expensive bill.
The following 2 users liked this post by xsever:
HBguy (08-23-2022), superangrypenguin (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by xsever
My good friend who works at the local Mercedes Benz dealership as a mechanic echoes what you are saying and keeps warning me to stay away from DI engines as I'm starting to look for a new car (most likely a '12 C300 4Matic with the M272 engine to stay away from the DI M276).

Although he would benefit a lot financially since I do all my repairs at his private shop, he has so many stories about DI engines he works on at the dealership (non-return valves (check valves), left and right secondary chain tensioners, high-pressure fuel pumps, and the piezo injectors) and he always says that yes that engine might be very smooth and fuel efficient, but one trip to the dealership and all those fuel savings are negated by the expensive bill.
Thanks for chiming in. In all reality, I don't think that 4-5 years from now we'll be able to buy a car that has an engine with only port fuel injection. Even today, there are very few options for me. Audi A8 3.0TFSI is a realistic option as that has dual injection, but the likes of E/S/C class + BMW 3/5/7 and Audi A6/A8 with the 4.0TFSI engine <--all of the cars here have direct injection with no secondary port fuel injection.

The reality is that we'll simply have to stick to either a) bending over at the dealership or b) buying extended warranty direct from the manufacturer. Since I only know the C class extended warranty costs, here in Canada, for a 7 year warranty with the 7th year only covering powertrain and a total of 160,000km, it's only around $2500. That's one HPFP repair or one and a bit carbon cleanings etc (so well worth the money)

Direct injection allows car makers to get darn good fuel mileage and darn good horsepower, and 99.999% (i'm guessing) of people don't even know what direct injection is, let along the problems associated with it. As educated buyers, we do, but there's really nothing we can do about living with these cars, cost wise, than to ensure we're covered with warranty.

Too bad cars these days are like young hot blonds (cheap and disposable) <--not meant to be an insult to anyone, just a dumb online joke.

All the talk over the last 2 days about direct injection and having to dispel the myths shared by some on this board have made me want to stick to my existing W204 since it's a reliable ol' chap. Silver lining I guess Thanks for saving me $100k + on a new car
Old 08-16-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S550
It's the same as all these new engines coming out with turbos..better performance and fuel efficiency.
But, introduces a new point of failure..and it's not a cheap part. Fuel savings for having a turbo will never be more than a turbo repair/replacement job.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Luxury
Part Number

Please state the part number. 🙏 I am under the same situation as the OP. I too logged complaints during the warranty period, and the issue was never corrected. Now everyone knows what the issue is, but back then, it was reletively unknown. Hopefully they take care of me.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:46 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2007 CLK550 Coupe, 2003 CL600, 2012
In a few short years electric vehicles will put most of the engine builders out of business and this thread will be a moot point lol.
xsever (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C250 Coupe
we got our C250 coupe in April. In October the fuel pump went... same scenario....jumped on the gas, power died, check engine, limping back to dealership

It was $1600 but the good will warrantied it, since we only had 4k miles since we bought it

that would have been a stiff out of pocket on a new car to us..
Old 03-20-2019, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 W205
The direct injection are designed mainly to meet the emission requirement, basically more exhaustive burning
Old 12-04-2019, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500, 2004 Audi TT225
Originally Posted by 95Sinned420
It's the same as all these new engines coming out with turbos..better performance and fuel efficiency.
But, introduces a new point of failure..and it's not a cheap part. Fuel savings for having a turbo will never be more than a turbo repair/replacement job.
Concur. My 2004 Audi TT 225 (1.8T) never got anywhere near the mileage that my 3.5 liter NA Mercedes engine with 300 hp does. And the Mercedes is probably heavier.