C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My Car loses power while driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 200 CGI (2011)
My Car loses power while driving

My car frequently cough and loses power while driving; I have approached the dealer several times and even wrote to the factory complaining about the dealer and to date I got no solution to this issue, have you experienced something similar and found a solution! please advise. Thanks
Old 07-16-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Does it spit out an error code? How was it maintained? Need more info.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
There are a few threads here on this. Mine has been acting up over the past 30K miles. It is finally reproducible by the service department but I'm out of warranty now. I've been waiting over a week to see if the factory will cover it since I've been reporting it the past two years.

For me the power cuts under full throttle. Car goes into a limp mode for a bit and throws a cel with a code of P0002.

It's just one of many, many, many problems I've had with the car. But I still like it, lol.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
A ”cough” like issue could be a spark plug coil related issue. What are the conditions under which it occurs?

A fuel system issue is usually a strong pull and then suddenly very little power. The car will go into safe mode.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:49 AM

C 200 CGI (2011)
Originally Posted by Demvang
Does it spit out an error code? How was it maintained? Need more info.
Absolutely nothing! The throttle feels like disengaged as a safety measure, but one of the below symptoms I noticed before the car start to act this way is!

1) Reduction in the car acceleration.
2) Electric sound from the right side of the engine (PS: we drive on the left of the road).
3) The car start to have hick-ups while shifting up to gear 2 at a low speed driving.
4) Every time the car come out from maintenance (the same day frequently)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 AM

C 200 CGI (2011)
Originally Posted by michail71
A ”cough” like issue could be a spark plug coil related issue. What are the conditions under which it occurs?

A fuel system issue is usually a strong pull and then suddenly very little power. The car will go into safe mode.
I have considered the possibility you mentioned and I have replaced the coils and the plugs, I have even asked the workshop to change the fuel type which helped to reduce the frequency the car goes into safe mode, but the issue still there especially when I am driving as a maniac.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:31 PM

C220 CDI
C220 CDI Power Loss Noise from hissing noise

Mercedes Benz C220 CDI Diesel; The car does not have power and when it has loses on acceleration. It also produces a hissing and clickling sound from the right side of engine. Of late it is smoking heavily on acceleration.
The car has been parked for the last 4 months and before then there was not problem. My mechanic wants to strip the whole engine but i am not comfortable without any indicative solution (quotation).
Assistance is being urgently sought to this problem.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
Old 07-19-2017, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 CDI SLK 200
Originally Posted by Mupembezi
Mercedes Benz C220 CDI Diesel; The car does not have power and when it has loses on acceleration. It also produces a hissing and clickling sound from the right side of engine. Of late it is smoking heavily on acceleration.
The car has been parked for the last 4 months and before then there was not problem. My mechanic wants to strip the whole engine but i am not comfortable without any indicative solution (quotation).
Check air intake air filter and mass airflow sensor. Pipes to and from turbo
Old 07-19-2017, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by Mupembezi
I think that you should check whether any electronic fault codes have been produced.They may tell the story.

Here is a diagnosis by AuMBteck in 2012 :-
Does it always have low power or is it fine then looses power after driving for a while?

Common issues are jammed turbo vanes, air flow sensors, EGR valve blocked, boost pressure sensor faults or vacuum leak to the turbo control valve or damaged intake manifold flaps.

Only having the fault code for low boost pressure and if there is never full power then I'd suspect the boost pressure sensor, vacuum leak or turbo vanes jammed.

Good power than loosing after extending driving (usually constant speeds) mostly jamming turbo vanes.

Cats usually give low power all the time, sometimes after changing the cats the air mass meter dies (it would already be failing, but the sudden increase in air flow takes it beyond it's useful range and trips a new code).

Cats on CDI2 engines (mostly ML270) regularly blocked up in Australia, CDI3 engines rarely block cats unless the driver is particularly gentle. This is due to fuel being more finely atomised/less soot on the CDI3 and later engines.
The following users liked this post:
Mupembezi (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:19 AM

C220 CDI
C220 CDI Power Loss Noise from hissing noise

Originally Posted by Carsy
I think that you should check whether any electronic fault codes have been produced.They may tell the story.

Here is a diagnosis by AuMBteck in 2012 :-
Does it always have low power or is it fine then looses power after driving for a while?

Common issues are jammed turbo vanes, air flow sensors, EGR valve blocked, boost pressure sensor faults or vacuum leak to the turbo control valve or damaged intake manifold flaps.

Only having the fault code for low boost pressure and if there is never full power then I'd suspect the boost pressure sensor, vacuum leak or turbo vanes jammed.

Good power than loosing after extending driving (usually constant speeds) mostly jamming turbo vanes.

Cats usually give low power all the time, sometimes after changing the cats the air mass meter dies (it would already be failing, but the sudden increase in air flow takes it beyond it's useful range and trips a new code).

Cats on CDI2 engines (mostly ML270) regularly blocked up in Australia, CDI3 engines rarely block cats unless the driver is particularly gentle. This is due to fuel being more finely atomised/less soot on the CDI3 and later engines.
Thanks for the information.
1. Even when you push the accelerator down on idling (high revs) the clickling hissing sound comes on from the right side of the car.
Since the car had been parked; I only started experienced the problem when i tried to quickly accelerate the car. Since then i have been cautious not to drive it.
What could be making the sound or where could the sound be coming from?

2. My mechanic recorded some fault codes which i can't remember and then erased them hoping they will come up again. Unfortunately there are no more fault codes coming up.

3. Can the jammed turbo vanes be cleaned without removing the
whole turbo from the engine?

4. Does anyone have a video of how the do the physical examination and how to remove the turbo.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
I am rather reluctant to admit "........drive like s maniac............... (but every now and then I wind out the RPM far beyond the norm.

Usually on a LOOOOONNG freeway on ramp.

It's not a race car. It gets exemplary MPG. A little CPO coupe (with a big warranty).

It's a real change of pace from the other Teutonic in my garage.......................

ez
Old 02-13-2020, 06:33 AM

w204
one of the most successful possible solution is to remove carbon deposit form the engine. There is a new product the LAVR 203 you can try using that it is not expensive and no need to disassemble your engine.