C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

esp currently unavailable w204 check engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
esp currently unavailable w204 check engine

Hi!
I had an error that said esp currently unavailable and the check engine indicator just appeared too. I try to accelerate and the power was low. The automatic lights are not working.
Anybody with this problem?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:34 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,000 Likes on 869 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Try turning the steering wheel fully lock to lock 2-3 times with the engine running and in park. If that clears the ESP Unavailable message, then it was caused by the steering angle sensor losing its calibration, which often happens when the battery is disconnected. If that doesn't do it, then you'll need to scna codes. A generic OBDII scanner won't do it - you need one that reads MBZ's proprietary systems.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C220 CDI
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Try turning the steering wheel fully lock to lock 2-3 times with the engine running and in park. If that clears the ESP Unavailable message, then it was caused by the steering angle sensor losing its calibration, which often happens when the battery is disconnected. If that doesn't do it, then you'll need to scna codes. A generic OBDII scanner won't do it - you need one that reads MBZ's proprietary systems.
Hi, would this also be cause failure of power steering, abs and esp??
I'm currently having that problem. All my many features become inoperable at 21km/h. My mechanic said that's normally caused due the a battery error. However, over the last couple days. It seems my battery is fine. (Only 14 months old) alternator is giving power 13.9-14.0V

Any ideas???
The following users liked this post:
pa9johns1 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-21-2019, 12:04 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
If turning the steering wheel does not clear the "ESP Unavailable" message, then it's not the steering angle calibration. You need to pull codes. Also, if you put a voltmeter on the car when driving, does it change when you lose power steering? The reason i aks is it could be due to the belt slipping and if that's happening, it would also affect the alternator.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:16 PM

W204 C220 CDI
If turning the steering wheel does not clear the "ESP Unavailable" message, then it's not the steering angle calibration. You need to pull codes. Also, if you put a voltmeter on the car when driving, does it change when you lose power steering? The reason i aks is it could be due to the belt slipping and if that's happening, it would also affect the alternator.
No. Volts stay the same.
I access the engineering menu, under the system, environmental view.
Nothing changes when the safety features become inoperable...
I changed the battery today. The guy said it'll take a day or so for the computer to register that the battery has been replaced and reset it's self....
I'm not too clued up on batteries and such....
Old 10-22-2019, 05:08 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by FreakyGreek
I changed the battery today. The guy said it'll take a day or so for the computer to register that the battery has been replaced and reset it's self....
I'm not too clued up on batteries and such....
No, it does not take any time for the car to reset from a new battery. However, if the problem was caused by low voltage, and that solves it, then it may take a few start/drive/shutdown cycles for the MIL (check engine light) to clear. In the meantime, you REALLY need to get codes scanned from all the car's systems.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:56 AM

W204 C220 CDI
No, it does not take any time for the car to reset from a new battery. However, if the problem was caused by low voltage, and that solves it, then it may take a few start/drive/shutdown cycles for the MIL (check engine light) to clear. In the meantime, you REALLY need to get codes scanned from all the car's systems.
It's been 2 days now since I've changed the battery, and the safety features are still inoperable.
I thought as much, that as soon as I change the battery, everything should go back to normal.
I'm going to try get to an agent, and see if they can scan for me.. Hopefully not charge me anything... I'll let you know how it goes.... Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Very insightful. Many thanks
Old 10-23-2019, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
You need to follow specific orders for resetting the steering sensor. It involves moving a quarter of a turn right, and whatnot. Look for the instructions and do them EXACTLY
Old 10-25-2019, 04:58 AM

W204 C220 CDI
So just an update.
I changed my battery on Monday afternoon.
The rest of the day and Tuesday, I still got all the unavailable and inoperable messages.
Wednesday evening when I drove my lady again, everything was ok. Been ok since.
When I look at the battery voltage through the Engineering menu, It shows between 14 and 14.2 volts.

Thanks to everyone for the help and assistance. I really appreciate it
Thank you
The following users liked this post:
Mbulelo (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C200 W204
Hi I also have the similar problem so was yours solved by a battery change?