C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Broken headrest DIY repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C220
Broken headrest DIY repair

In case of a broken headrest, I show you how to fix this without having to buy a new one. This DIY-repair manual can save you money. I hope this fix is helpfull. For me it worked well. The Neck-Pro is still working and everything is set back into place.

First you have to release the headrest from the seat. Therefor are many treads in this forum. Once you have released the headrest, you'll have to split the backcover from the upholsterycover. The backcover is holded in position by two plastic hooks (as you can see on one of the pictures). Sliding both parts in diffent ways, will take off the backcover from the upholsterycover.

On the picture (red arrows) you can see that the plastic sockets got broken.

Before you can fix the headrest, you'll have to remove the upholstery from it's original plate (picture). Once it came off, you'll have to drill two small holes from the outside of the cover (otherwise you won't come underneath the broken plastic socket). I drew the holes in the plastic basics from the broken socket (yellow dots in picture).

Once you drilled the holes, you have to use two cable ties to hold everything in place. The metal "pin" you can see (blue arrow) on the backcover, has to be restored onto the "broken" sockets (red arrows) To make this work, I used a metal plug (8x90) to strenght the "pin" and keep the cable ties in position (see picture). Only drill two holes for the cables ties and shorten the plug so it will fit in the originel "pin".

Once the metal plug is ready, you can simply stick it through the gap of the "pin". The only step left is to bring on the cable ties in the way as shown on the pictures (otherwise you can't pull the covers together). Don't pull the cable ties trough the outside holes (yellow dots on picture)! Those holes are only drilled to get onto the inner work of the broken sockets.

After putting the cable ties in place, reinstall the upholstery (just clicking the plastic strips back into their sockets). The two seperated covers will be brought together (the hook thing..).

The ends of the cable ties will stick out of the back of the headrest. By pulling upon the ends of the cable ties, the original "pin" is set back to it's original position. That's all!

For further questions, please ask.
Attached Thumbnails Broken headrest DIY repair-1.jpg   Broken headrest DIY repair-img_3097.jpg   Broken headrest DIY repair-img_3103.jpg   Broken headrest DIY repair-img_3105.jpg   Broken headrest DIY repair-img_3108.jpg  

Broken headrest DIY repair-img_3109.jpg   Broken headrest DIY repair-img_3110.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Ricky Royale:
Fermin Grajales (11-07-2022), idyson (05-26-2024), Palladium W204 (11-29-2020)
Old 07-23-2017, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Clever Ricky . thanks for the post.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:28 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Thanks for the instruction. Mine recently got broken by itself. I'll try to fix it when I have time.

Last edited by Demvang; 07-24-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc w204
Can't find that kind of screw.

Hey Ricky, I saw this post I thought it was amazing and am hoping to do the same myself. However, I can't seem to find that kind of screw =( Help!!!
Old 07-28-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C220
Originally Posted by Jason Phung
Hey Ricky, I saw this post I thought it was amazing and am hoping to do the same myself. However, I can't seem to find that kind of screw =( Help!!!
You mean the plug? Visit your local construction market. They should sell them. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2020, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C200 K
Thanks Ricky, very much for posting this in such detail. Mine also broke today and i followed your instructions. It worked like a charm! Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Fermin Grajales (11-07-2022)
Old 12-23-2020, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL 500
Originally Posted by Ricky Royale

You mean the plug? Visit your local construction market. They should sell them. Good luck!
Can you guide me how to remove my headrest for my E300, 2011 model.

Moreover, you mentioned to drill holes at plug... I can see the picture that the plug goes in to the Pin, do we need to drill both or the pin is open from down to pass the cable tie via the pin to the plug
Old 01-17-2021, 07:41 PM

2011 E220 CDI
Originally Posted by Palladium W204
Thanks Ricky, very much for posting this in such detail. Mine also broke today and i followed your instructions. It worked like a charm! Thank you!
Hi everyone, my friend broke my headrest few days ago and I found it out today. It’s now floppy.
I would be very thankful for any answers as I want to fix it by myself, but I have a couple of questions:

- Why do I have to drill the small holes (yellow circles on photo)?
- At the end should I cut the ends of the ties that stick out?

I’m trying it tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-26-2024, 03:28 AM

W204 C200K
The additional 8mm hollow metal tube or wooden dowel needs a drilled slot/hole in the lower half at each end for each cable tie to pass through. The existing MB metal fitting has ‘missing metal’ so it isn’t a complete tube at the ends. Kudos to Ricky
Old 05-26-2024, 03:35 AM

W204 C200K
The holes from the yellow dots need to pass through the plastic below the semi-circular rests. Aim the drill for each pilot hole all the way through at the narrow channel on the inner side of the insert removed from the upholstery. I drilled another pair of holes on the outer side so the cable tie path was easier to thread. A heated metal screwdriver head pressed into 4mm drilled holes helped get the cable ties through. It’s helpful to have a tight fit for the cable ties so that during reassembly the cable ties hold in position. Kudos to Ricky