C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

What are the different packages for w204 C350 in Canada?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R
What are the different packages for w204 C350 in Canada?

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a few years in hopes one day I can join the family and that day may be coming.

I have a few questions, I'm hoping you guys can be patient and help me with. I guess this is more specific to the Canadian market.

I'm looking to purchase a 2012-2014 C350:

1) how many different packages were there for the C350? and what were the differences in the packages? Was RWD ever an option?

2) what's included in the AMG package? I don't think I see any difference in exterior

3) I'll probably be buying something with approx 100k KM's, what are the big maintenance things I need to be ready for here?

4) Is there anything specific I should be looking out for when shopping for this model car?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2017, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Look for with the Avant-Garde package which means loaded to the gills. Rwd C350s are rare in Canada as most C-class sold here has the 4matic because of our weather. If you do find a RWD it will most likely have the even rarer agility sport suspension which can only be had on RWD model. All of the RWD cars I have seen has this option as it is a no brainer and I would not get a RWD w204 without one specially on a C350. Stay with a 2012 and above year as it has the newer 3.5 liter engine which you will be happy with. All C350s sold here in Canada is pretty much loaded except for one-offs factory orders. The only thing I can think off that is an option is the harmon cardon sound, rear sun shade, different wheel options.

If you are getting a 4matic make sure the tranny was serviced properly which is every 60k and the torque converter was also flushed. If those are not done walk away fast. The rest is basic SOP when buying a used car but rest assured the W204 will be a very good second hand high mileage german car as long as the previous owner took good care of it.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:02 AM

2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
Look for with the Avant-Garde package which means loaded to the gills. Rwd C350s are rare in Canada as most C-class sold here has the 4matic because of our weather. If you do find a RWD it will most likely have the even rarer agility sport suspension which can only be had on RWD model. All of the RWD cars I have seen has this option as it is a no brainer and I would not get a RWD w204 without one specially on a C350. Stay with a 2012 and above year as it has the newer 3.5 liter engine which you will be happy with. All C350s sold here in Canada is pretty much loaded except for one-offs factory orders. The only thing I can think off that is an option is the harmon cardon sound, rear sun shade, different wheel options.

If you are getting a 4matic make sure the tranny was serviced properly which is every 60k and the torque converter was also flushed. If those are not done walk away fast. The rest is basic SOP when buying a used car but rest assured the W204 will be a very good second hand high mileage german car as long as the previous owner took good care of it.
is there a way to tell from looking at the car if it is the avante-garde package? sometimes the dealers/sellers won't know.
Also, do all models come with the blind spot indicater and lane keep assist fucntions? or is that only specific packages?
Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by NightSharj
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a few years in hopes one day I can join the family and that day may be coming.

I have a few questions, I'm hoping you guys can be patient and help me with. I guess this is more specific to the Canadian market.

I'm looking to purchase a 2012-2014 C350:

1) how many different packages were there for the C350? and what were the differences in the packages? Was RWD ever an option?

2) what's included in the AMG package? I don't think I see any difference in exterior

3) I'll probably be buying something with approx 100k KM's, what are the big maintenance things I need to be ready for here?

4) Is there anything specific I should be looking out for when shopping for this model car?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!
I've uploaded the 2012 C class brochure, this should address some of your questions here (with regards to package, and driving assistance aids)

With respect to what to look for, the first thing you should figure out is what transmission the car you're looking at has. Going off of memory, there is the 7G tronic and the 7G tronic plus. I don't have the plus version, so in my case the transmission fluid has to be drained at 60,000km and ideally the torque converter fluid should be drained as well (although it's rare for dealerships to do this).

At the 100,000km mark you might as well just do a drain and fill again and ensure the torque converter is drained and filled.

I know that 2013 onwards the transmission was the 7g tronic plus version but I don't know what the drain interval is as I don't own that model.

If you're buying a car with direct injection (2012 C250, C350) and 2013 onwards for all engines, make sure that oil changes were done with approved MB oil (229.5 spec - some dealerships use 229.51 which is NOT approved in these engines). Based on my analysis of used engine oil results on these engines with direct injection, the OEM interval b/w oil changes is FAR too long, but there's nothing you can do about it when buying a used car.

Make sure there isn't excessive vibration from the engine (for one) as that may indicate a need to get the intake valves clean (this one is arguable in MB engines but it's possible based on other engines with around 100,000km on the clock that utilize direct injection). Ensure there are no CELs (check engine lights) and the usual stuff

But all in all, it's a pretty bulletproof car.
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
edgalang (08-16-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 07:49 PM

2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I've uploaded the 2012 C class brochure, this should address some of your questions here (with regards to package, and driving assistance aids)

With respect to what to look for, the first thing you should figure out is what transmission the car you're looking at has. Going off of memory, there is the 7G tronic and the 7G tronic plus. I don't have the plus version, so in my case the transmission fluid has to be drained at 60,000km and ideally the torque converter fluid should be drained as well (although it's rare for dealerships to do this).

At the 100,000km mark you might as well just do a drain and fill again and ensure the torque converter is drained and filled.

I know that 2013 onwards the transmission was the 7g tronic plus version but I don't know what the drain interval is as I don't own that model.

If you're buying a car with direct injection (2012 C250, C350) and 2013 onwards for all engines, make sure that oil changes were done with approved MB oil (229.5 spec - some dealerships use 229.51 which is NOT approved in these engines). Based on my analysis of used engine oil results on these engines with direct injection, the OEM interval b/w oil changes is FAR too long, but there's nothing you can do about it when buying a used car.

Make sure there isn't excessive vibration from the engine (for one) as that may indicate a need to get the intake valves clean (this one is arguable in MB engines but it's possible based on other engines with around 100,000km on the clock that utilize direct injection). Ensure there are no CELs (check engine lights) and the usual stuff

THANKS! All of this was very helpful
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (08-15-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo

Pretty rare to have the front differential fluid changed. My local MB dealer thought I was nuts for suggesting such a thing on my 08, C230. They said they have never changed it upon request like I did. I thought they were nuts. My car had about 65,000 kilometers on it when I had them change the fluid this past spring and it was pretty dirty and smelled slightly scorched. Definitely change the front 4 Matic diff fluid.

When I buy a new to me car, I get all fluids changed just so I know it has been done.

Unless a fella like myself who is pretty meticulous with maintenance owned the car I doubt the front diff fluid will have ever been changed.

Originally MB spec'ed it as a life time fluid.

I had them do a transmission fluid service shortly after I bought the car last summer. I did not think I'd have to ask to get the torque converter fluid changed and assumed it was part of the service. I looked at my bill when I got home and noticed only 7 litres of transmission fluid were used so yeah, they did not flush the torque converter.

Last edited by Colin G; 08-16-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Colin G
Pretty rare to have the front differential fluid changed.
Dug this up for people:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post4967197

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 08-16-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
One caveat is the 2012 C350 RWD. Pretty much any W204 with the M276 engine will have the 7G+ transmission, which has a 70k MILE service interval.

I can attest to the reliability. I'm currently at 8Xk and with my daily commute (~81 miles), I may be able to hit 100k by EoY. So far all I've done (with the exception of mods) is the required service intervals, 2nd set of brake pads, and 3rd set of tires (MPSS).
Old 08-16-2017, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by edgalang
One caveat is the 2012 C350 RWD. Pretty much any W204 with the M276 engine will have the 7G+ transmission, which has a 70k MILE service interval.

I can attest to the reliability. I'm currently at 8Xk and with my daily commute (~81 miles), I may be able to hit 100k by EoY. So far all I've done (with the exception of mods) is the required service intervals, 2nd set of brake pads, and 3rd set of tires (MPSS).
Curious - will you be doing a front/rear diff fluid drain and fill soon?
Old 08-16-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
I swear I've read a post on this before but I forgot.

I've done the transmission flush that's required at 60,000km. I assume there's a front differential flush as well based on your post - what about the rear? Is there one?

Also how many L of fluid is required for the differential flush? (Also - I assume it's the same transmission fluid as the one for the main transmission?)

Transmission fluid should be around 9L. 7 L for the transmission and around 2 L is held in the torque converter that needs to be drained. I am unsure about a flush since I never had that done. My guess is an extra litre or two for an actual flush.

Rear differential I had done shortly after I bought the car. It was supposed to be done the same day as my transmission service but the dealership forgot to do it and I had to come back the following week. I just had a fluid change and did not get a flush done.

I will probably do another transmission service before the next interval since I want the flush performed and the TC drained as it should be.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:18 PM

Curious - will you be doing a front/rear diff fluid drain and fill soon?
If that's what's required in the manual, sure. Although I doubt I'll ever have to worry about the front.

FULL DISCLOSURE: While it appears I do everything by the book, I have to confess that I did slightly alter the brake fluid change schedule. If done by the book, you should be changing your brake fluids every 2 years OR 20k miles. After testing however, I find this too conservative (especially with the amount of miles I drive a year, so I now change it when it reaches 3% water contamination with DOT5.1.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by edgalang
If that's what's required in the manual, sure. Although I doubt I'll ever have to worry about the front.

FULL DISCLOSURE: While it appears I do everything by the book, I have to confess that I did slightly alter the brake fluid change schedule. If done by the book, you should be changing your brake fluids every 2 years OR 20k miles. After testing however, I find this too conservative (especially with the amount of miles I drive a year, so I now change it when it reaches 3% water contamination with DOT5.1.
I dug up the post in an earlier post in this thread. Front/rear differentials are lifetime per the manual

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post7240753

Nothing is lifetime, but the going consensus on this forum is 100,000 miles before changing the diff fluid.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:31 PM

I dug up the post in an earlier post in this thread. Front/rear differentials are lifetime per the manual

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post7240753

Nothing is lifetime, but the going consensus on this forum is 100,000 miles before changing the diff fluid.

...ok. I guess I'll be doing this at the 100k mile mark then. Thanks.