C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

I'm willing to pay for your DIY's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
I'm willing to pay for your DIY's

Check out my new site: here
Old 09-03-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts
2015 GLK350 & 2020 C300
So let me get this straight, you want random internet strangers with unknown credentials to submit pictorial guides on how to do moderate to advance level repairs for a purchase price?
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (09-05-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
So let me get this straight, you want random internet strangers with unknown credentials to submit pictorial guides on how to do moderate to advance level repairs for a purchase price?
More likely that not, these same "internet strangers with unknown credentials" are going to the be the same ones posting on forums; users like you and me, per se.

The key here is that I'll be asking for people to be very detailed and descriptive so others can easily understand the DIY's for themselves down the road.

More so, the purchase pricing is going to be quite low. A couple of bucks up to $10 for something more complex like my own M156 Head Bolt DIY.

Another thing to note -- the site won't necessarily be catered to repairs, although it would include some I imagine. My hope is that it'll also include straight up modifications like retrofitting a W204 FL cluster. So far, I haven't been able to get an understanding of what coding is needed via STAR. Insight like this is what I hope to gather from someone who has the knowledge, pay them for it, compile and package it in a neat and easy to understand package, and sell that info for a few bucks on DIY Technica.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Interesting concept. just think it will be difficult to get a large library of fixes submitted, but good luck with it.

If someone submits a DIY fixed is that payment one-time money or does the submitter then get a "commission" every time it is downloaded? Reason I ask is almost everything you have on the pay schedule is between $5 and $50. Just doesn't seem like a lot to have someone go through all the work to document and take pictures of a fix. I realize a lot of times forum members do it as a labor of love to help others.

By the way, I recognize your X-Type for the Jaguar Forums. I used to have a 2005 and remember your car. That was a nice one. That is a great forum. I still hang around there even though I sold my car two years ago. Most helpful and friendly people on there you will ever find.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Alfadude
Interesting concept. just think it will be difficult to get a large library of fixes submitted, but good luck with it.

If someone submits a DIY fixed is that payment one-time money or does the submitter then get a "commission" every time it is downloaded? Reason I ask is almost everything you have on the pay schedule is between $5 and $50. Just doesn't seem like a lot to have someone go through all the work to document and take pictures of a fix. I realize a lot of times forum members do it as a labor of love to help others.

By the way, I recognize your X-Type for the Jaguar Forums. I used to have a 2005 and remember your car. That was a nice one. That is a great forum. I still hang around there even though I sold my car two years ago. Most helpful and friendly people on there you will ever find.
Thanks, AlfaDude. It'll be tough, no doubt, but I'll keep working it.

Right now, the model is a fixed price just because I don't have a back end system that's capable of routing a percentage of the sale price to the submitter. I'd have to do all of that manually every time a purchase is made, and that'd be a bit much.

Good insight regarding the pay schedule. As you can see, it all varies between how complex the DIY is, and how much time it'd actually take to document things. For example, I'm willing to pay someone $20 to take some pictures and document each step on how to code FL headlights to a PFL car. Realistically, that shouldn't take more than $20 mins to do. I can image there are what, 5 to 6 steps in MB STAR? Which means 5 to 6 pictures as well. $20 to 20 mins equates to $60 an hour which I don't think is too shabby to document your work.

Also, I don't want the pay outs to be too much as then I have to increase the purchase price which isn't something I want to do either. There for sure is an equilibrium pricing strategy. I'm not sure that I've found it, but I'll keep finessing as I learn.

Wow no way! Those were the days on Jaguar Forums. Actually the first forum I ever joined at 16 years old. I really did enjoy that place. I echo your sentiment about the folks there -- genuinely very, very nice people. Maybe once those F-Type R prices come down a bit, I'll head over there again.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 P31 C63 Coupe
Honestly, i don't see anyone paying $10+ for a DIY. Almost all repairs can be found on pelicanparts.com and/or the forums for FREE. Anything they can't find on the forums will definitely be too hard for a DIY, hence they'll bring it to a indy shop for a cheaper bill.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by myn8m3is8ndy
Honestly, i don't see anyone paying $10+ for a DIY. Almost all repairs can be found on pelicanparts.com and/or the forums for FREE. Anything they can't find on the forums will definitely be too hard for a DIY, hence they'll bring it to a indy shop for a cheaper bill.
Thanks for your input. But I must note, this is not a site for repairs. This is a site for technical modifications or DIY's. For those cases, my experience is pretty much contrary to what you mentioned about bringing it to an indy. Sometime there are DIY's or modifications out there that people want to tackle, which are not necessarily hard, just lack direction.

These DIY's are not those found on pelican parts. Those are mostly repairs.

Last edited by AMG3.2; 09-05-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Bump folks -- would really like to add some technical DIY's other than M156 headbolts. Anyone down to make some money?
Old 09-09-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Bump folks -- would really like to add some technical DIY's other than M156 headbolts. Anyone down to make some money?
it's an interesting idea, but would you then own rights to the video/DIY? I need to do a brake job within a couple weeks. and how much would you pay for that?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Just204
it's an interesting idea, but would you then own rights to the video/DIY? I need to do a brake job within a couple weeks. and how much would you pay for that?
Thanks. Yes, if I payed you for it, I'd then own the rights.

Thanks for offering to submit a DIY, but unfortunately, I'm not looking for those types of DIY's since that's basic maintenance and generally found free on the forums.

What I'm looking for is more technical knowledge that only a select few know about and thus, hard for the greater masses to access.

Such examples would be:
  • MB DAS, Vediamo, Xentry Machine Setup
  • MB DAS, Vediamo, Xentry, Coding per project, Facelift headlight coding = one project
  • ​BMW INPA, NCS Expert Machine setup
  • BMW INPA, NCS Expert Coding per project, Cold start delete = one project
  • MB W204 Facelift Headlight Retrofit w/ Coding
  • MB W204 Facelift Tail Light Retrofit w/ Coding
  • MB W204 Cluster Retrofit w/Coding
  • MB W204 Pre Facelift to Facelift Steering Wheel
  • With any coding, chip swap, etc.

If you can do those sorts of things and are interested, PM me!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Thanks. Yes, if I payed you for it, I'd then own the rights.

Thanks for offering to submit a DIY, but unfortunately, I'm not looking for those types of DIY's since that's basic maintenance and generally found free on the forums.

What I'm looking for is more technical knowledge that only a select few know about and thus, hard for the greater masses to access.

Such examples would be:
  • MB DAS, Vediamo, Xentry Machine Setup
  • MB DAS, Vediamo, Xentry, Coding per project, Facelift headlight coding = one project
  • ​BMW INPA, NCS Expert Machine setup
  • BMW INPA, NCS Expert Coding per project, Cold start delete = one project
  • MB W204 Facelift Headlight Retrofit w/ Coding
  • MB W204 Facelift Tail Light Retrofit w/ Coding
  • MB W204 Cluster Retrofit w/Coding
  • MB W204 Pre Facelift to Facelift Steering Wheel
  • With any coding, chip swap, etc.

If you can do those sorts of things and are interested, PM me!

All I do are DIY and How to "mod" videos on YouTube for a w204 c-class.
Check out my channel. Not sure if it's what your are looking for.

www.youtube.com/c/flexxalexander

Here is one of my videos.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by FlexxAlexander
All I do are DIY and How to "mod" videos on YouTube for a w204 c-class.
Check out my channel. Not sure if it's what your are looking for.

www.youtube.com/c/flexxalexander

Here is one of my videos.
https://youtu.be/KAxKF_bGWos
Thanks! But these are more of the simple mods that I think should be kept free.

I'm aiming to build my site on more complex DIY's, but thank you!