C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

US Spec C300 to UK light conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300 4Matic Sport
Question US Spec C300 to UK light conversion?

Hello, long time creeper/first time poster here.

I'll be heading to the UK next year, and thanks to my generous employer (Uncle Sam), I can have my C300 shipped for free. I would sell it and just buy a car over there, but I just bought the thing and I love it more than any car I've driven. Anyway, besides the trouble I'll have with driving a LHD car on the left side of the road, it seems that I also have to deal with converting the lights to be legal to drive on the other side of the road when I get to the UK.

Does anyone know how extensive my light conversion will be for a C300? I have read that some types of lights can be adjusted or reconfigured, but others must be completely changed out at a high price. I don't really know much about lights despite some Googling, so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks for any help or advice!
Old 09-25-2017, 04:28 AM

Received 80 Likes on 79 Posts
W204 C220CDI 2011
You will have to pay 10% duty and 20% vat on the value of the car and the shipping.
I really would not bother.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by sunowl
Hello, long time creeper/first time poster here.

I'll be heading to the UK next year, and thanks to my generous employer (Uncle Sam), I can have my C300 shipped for free. I would sell it and just buy a car over there, but I just bought the thing and I love it more than any car I've driven. Anyway, besides the trouble I'll have with driving a LHD car on the left side of the road, it seems that I also have to deal with converting the lights to be legal to drive on the other side of the road when I get to the UK.

Does anyone know how extensive my light conversion will be for a C300? I have read that some types of lights can be adjusted or reconfigured, but others must be completely changed out at a high price. I don't really know much about lights despite some Googling, so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks for any help or advice!
Why would your lights have to change? The addition of DRL and such is a software change.

I don't know about the rest though. I second what the other poster said...don't bother...
Old 09-25-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by alecmascot
You will have to pay 10% duty and 20% vat on the value of the car and the shipping.
I really would not bother.
I'm guessing the op is in the military. If this is the case his vehicle transportation costs will be paid by the US government. Further, the vehicle will be exempt from UK duty, VAT ect.

With regard to headlights, they must be compatible with driving on the left side of the highway. If this can be achived with software that would simplify conversion. Or he may be required to install UK spec lamps.

Don't ship a banger. Your vehicle will be required to pass MOT. A comprehensive inspection so as to satisfy authorities the vehicle is roadworthy.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300 4Matic Sport
Thanks for the responses. But yes, for the record, I am military and there is no cost for the shipping. Also, the car is new and not a "banger"...pretty sure it can pass whatever tests I have to do for emissions, suspension, etc. The only thing I'm concerned about is the lights.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Hi,
The depending on where you are stationed the traffic is quite dense in the Uk and the parking spaces are geared for small cars.

In the Uk you car would be considered a large car and that could be a PIA on a daily basis being LHD.

Me I would either sell or secure store your car and buy a run around in the UK.

TH p/n for l/h drive headlight is different than r/h drive headlight so that would mean new set of headlights.

Last edited by NZ-Merc; 09-25-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 479 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Its not that big of a car.

You might be able to get a depo UK spec headlight for a decent price, although I can't help you much more than that.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Ship it! It will work fine in the UK. Your MB will be one of many operating in the country.

Admittedly in small towns and villages the streets are narrow but still negotiable. In fact, some seconday roads follow the route of Roman conquerors. These require ones full attention. On the other hand UK Motorways, much like our interstates, will permit you to satisfy your need for speed.

My bad. Was not my intent to infer you were driving a banger.

The UK is a great place. And so are the blokes that live there. Hope you have a great tour.