C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Low end quality tire pulls my car to the right

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Low end quality tire pulls my car to the right

Hi,
I am new here. Recently I purchased used 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic (60K Miles). I noticed that my car is pulled to right right after I purchased it. I took my car back to the Mercedes dealership and they realized that alignment was off and wrong tires are on the wrong rim. They remount all 4 tires to right rims and check the alignment of the car. I was told that there is a slight right pull because of the low end quality tires (they called off brand on the paper). My current tires look fairly new. I think previous owner put the tires right before selling the car.

My tires are Sailun: Atrezzo SVA1 and they are suggesting that I replace my tires with high end ones (they quoted around $1000.00 after the discount).

I am wondering if anyone else got a similar experience and if I should replace this existing tires with dealer suggested ones??? Please advice

*Edit 10/19/2017
Sorry I did not add the detail information about my tire.
Current tire: sailun atrezzo sva1
Mercedes dealer suggested tire: Pirelli nero AS

I bought my car from one of the used car dealerships (nation wide franchise). The used car re-seller could not find out the problem. They sent my car to Mercedes dealership and Mercedes dealer found that tires are not mounted on the proper rim. I think my car has 2 different sets of rims (front and rear). Whoever worked on the tire previously mounted the wrong size tire on the wrong rim and rotated the rim in the wrong positions. I saw the alignment spec sheet from Mercedes dealer and all numbers indicated that they aligned the tires within the acceptable range.

*Edit 12/23/2017
Thank you everyone who helped me resolving my tire issue. I just wanted to post a quick update for future reference. I finally pulled the trigger to purchase 4 tires from my local tire shop (America's tire). I got Continental Sport Contact tires. I have driven more than 3 weeks so far and YES, I don't feel any right pull anymore. thank you everyone who helped me on this topic and happy holidays!

Last edited by epicweekend; 12-23-2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add more information
Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
By wrong tires do you mean wrong size, speed rating, mixed, etc. or just a non-dealer brand? It is concerning they were installed backwards. I don't know if that caused any problems.

These cars are very sensitive and difficult when it comes to alignments and balancing. However, I would not really trust the dealership on that one. It sounds like they aren't trying too hard and want to spend your money.

It took me over a year to get my car aligned properly (with good tires). In the end I had to go to an independent Mercedes shop where the owner worked diligently with me to finally get it aligned properly. In the end I had to get additional camber(?) bolts added to the car. The dealerships were a nightmare to deal with.

Did you purchase it from a car dealership? Usually you can get them to do alignments but odds are they'd screw it up (or whoever they get to do the job, including a Mercedes delaership) and not pay to get the bolts.

* edit *
If your speed ratings or size are off it would be worth getting new tires given the level of engineering for your car.

Last edited by michail71; 10-18-2017 at 02:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
epicweekend (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Just what do you mean when you say that the wrong tires are on the wrong rims? You mean you have a staggered set up and the wider tires were mounted on the narrower wheels or did you mean something else? Please elaborate on that.

Thos do look like less expensive kind of tires, but I would question that the previous owner put them on. It sounds like you bought this car from a Mercedes dealership. If that is true, they would have had to inspect it before selling it. And if the previous owner did put on the tires incorrectly I would have to believe they would have noticed that and corrected it immediately. If they did not notice that, I would definitely have to question the competency of that dealership to do anything on my car. Plus, I would have to question that dealership putting on cheap tires like that in teh first place.

As for the story about the tires causing the pulling to the right, I would have to believe that is a bunch of BS.Either they did not align it correctly (they did do a four wheel alignment, correct?) or they just want to sell you something.There could be some worn suspension componenets that are causing the issue or could be somethng else completely. Eitehr way, sounds like the dealership you are working with isn't very trustworthy or we are missing part of this story.
epicweekend (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 PM

C300
Thanks for the information. I am planning to go to local tire shop to hear the 2nd opinion. I will post the result here.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:03 PM

C300
Thanks for the information. I am planning to go to a local tire shop to hear the 2nd opinion. I will post the result here.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by epicweekend
Thanks for the information. I am planning to go to a local tire shop to hear the 2nd opinion. I will post the result here.
I'd strongly suggest going to a German car shop that's owner operated. For the most part they don't cost any more. Most run of the mill tire shops are not going to have the knowledge to work on this car.

One of my most trusted mechanics I've been going to for years will not align a Mercedes.
epicweekend (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
installed backwards makes sense.

as for the tires, yea they are some pretty cheap looooooooooooooooooooow quality tire so, I wouldn't use them. But obv thats up to you. Make sure ratings are sufficient at the least.
epicweekend (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 01:10 AM

C300
Thanks guys for more comments. I just checked the yelp.com and found European car specialized shop. I will make an appointment and hear their opinion about the issue. Yea it seems like my tires are pretty low end and I feel like replacing tires with something a little more decent if any. I will keep you posted.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by epicweekend
Thanks guys for more comments. I just checked the yelp.com and found European car specialized shop. I will make an appointment and hear their opinion about the issue. Yea it seems like my tires are pretty low end and I feel like replacing tires with something a little more decent if any. I will keep you posted.
If you can do summer tires the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a great choice and should cost less than what you were quoted at the dealer.
epicweekend (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 04:58 PM

C300
Thanks for the suggestion. Mechilin Pilot Super Sports seems like a really good quality tire. I live in SoCal so probably Summer Tires are fine
Old 10-21-2017, 02:30 PM

Received 72 Likes on 70 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
Originally Posted by michail71
If you can do summer tires the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a great choice and should cost less than what you were quoted at the dealer.
Want to get a set of those, but they will wear out faster then all seasons. Isn't there a pilot sport a/s? OP, never use cheap tires! they are the most important part of the car imho. I would choose Continentals or Michelin as those brands seem to last best best on our cars from what I find.
epicweekend (10-22-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I got conti dws06, amazing tire for an all season.
epicweekend (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 06:47 PM

C300
Thanks guys. I am going to talk to the used dealership to see if they could give some kind of discount to replace these tires or something. I checked my spare tire and it got Continental logo on it. I hope I get a good deal on either Michelin or Continental.

By the way, what do you guys think about japanese tires? I found Nitto Motive at discount tire with pretty good price.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,322 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Could be a radial pull

get conti dws
Old 10-23-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 C300
Tires

I had pull to the right on my landrover ... due to tire issue like that. They rotated tires left to right and now it pulls left !

Shop owner said this is relatively common issue with cheap or old tires ...

michelin is for sure the best - but expensive. If you want good value look at sumitomo htr/as p02 or Kumho Ecsta 4x .....