C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2008 C300 No Power, no start, key won't come out.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 c300
2008 C300 No Power, no start, key won't come out.

Hey All,

Been a long time lurker on the forums, unfortunately my first thread is on a no start issue. A little bit about myself, I have extensive automotive knowledge but no MB experience. I can locate isolate and fix just about anything on a porsche or bmw (I have a v10 I'm rebuilding in my garage at the moment) but have never really touched a mercedes.

My long time GF had left her lights on overnight and she called AAA for a jump. They came out, jumped the car, nothing (I wasn't there with her). The key is now stuck in the ignition and will not come out. I am able to turn it clockwise to the "Engine On" position and back close to the off position, but not in the full vertical position to be removed. I have read that these W204 models are notorious for having issues with the EIS and ESL, but those reporting with these issues at least had power and may had the option of diagnosing the issue. I borrowed a STAR diagnostic computer from a friend, but being that I cannot get the car to the ACC on position, I can't get the computer to communicate.

When I say no power, the only visible power to the vehicle are the kickpanel lights and the digital part of the cluster (it just lights up).
I have no power to:
-Windows
-Radio
-Climate
-Seats
-etc.

I cannot get the gauge cluster to do the initial start up sequence where all the warning lights illuminate. The battery is dead, but I have a jumper box at full charge with 14.2 volts and that doesn't make a difference. I'm really not sure what to think here. I'm skeptical that the AAA truck jumped the car incorrectly and blew a MAXI fuse. I checked the high amp fuses in the hood fuse box as well as the trunk and they look good.

I'm not saying it's not possible that the issue could be the EIS or ESL, but none were reporting no power like I have. Any direction would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Mercedes W204 do not do well to jump starting if done incorrectly. High risk for electrical damage. There are other posts about this. Would replace battery and see if you get lucky.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 c300
Hi DieselDoc,
started off the morning installing a new battery, but already knew that wouldn't change anything. Just did it so i can try to fix this car on the street without the hood up and cables attached to another car.