C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C250 Hit from behind

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250
C250 Hit from behind

Hi everyone...long time lurker, first time poster in need of guidance. I got rear ended last night and need some Idea about what to expect as far as cost or even how bad the damage really is so I can decide on how to proceed. The other party does have auto insurance and it is his fault. Anything else I should be aware of? Questions to ask the adjuster when they evaluate the car? Your help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 11-16-2017, 04:33 AM

Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
The Insurance adjusters do a pretty good lob these days of finding all of the damaged areas and including these in their quotes..when the Body Shop gets at your car they will call the Insurance folks if they discover damage not included in the original quote. I've found having the Body/Collision people on your side and acting as your advocate works better than trying to convince the Insurance Co. something else needs addressed. You can pick where you want the car repaired, albeit your Insurance carrier may have a "favorite" place.

Your C250 like most C250-350's has a fairly long rear overhang so I doubt your rear suspension is affected but that will be checked eventually (make sure a full alignment is in the quote). I see a good bit of damage to the bumper subassembly and rear sheet metal in addition to the obvious bumper skin, exhaust, plastic tank shield (gas tank itself OK ?), heat shielding. A high end collision shop will have the MB chassis dimension reference chart with locator points that when measured will show if there is distortion of the frame/panels out of spec. Most of your damage looks pretty low so I guess whoever hit you had the brakes on pretty hard and "submarined" you..squealing brakes/tires pretty good, huh ?

Cost guestimate.... $ 8,000 at a premier shop... (new bumper plus paint is $1,500 alone).

Hope things go well
Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
C300 sport 2008
Looks like a total loss to me. If they do plan on repairing it, tell them you at least want it totaled (if that’s what you want). There’s something called depreciation value, where since an accident has occurred they will reimburse you for the car price dropping due to the accident. You may be able to get it depending on what state and insurance company the person at fault has. Good luck man
Old 11-16-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
Agree that repair cost is probably 80% or higher than wholesale value..this is a '09 ??
Old 11-16-2017, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by gamma300C
Agree that repair cost is probably 80% or higher than wholesale value..this is a '09 ??
Yeah if repair cost is 80% of the car's value, it'll be a total loss. C250s are 2012-13-14 for W204.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2014 C300
With some companies if the repair cost exceeds 75% of the value it will be considered a total. In his post and his info it states that it is a 2013 so I don't think it will be a total. My wife is an adjuster and a really good friend owns a body shop so if you know a good shop tell them that's where you want to take it. Most likely the insurance company already knows about the good shops and won't have a problem with where you take it. Just make sure that OEM parts are specified in the repair estimate.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
C300 sport 2008
Originally Posted by Cardfan91
With some companies if the repair cost exceeds 75% of the value it will be considered a total. In his post and his info it states that it is a 2013 so I don't think it will be a total. My wife is an adjuster and a really good friend owns a body shop so if you know a good shop tell them that's where you want to take it. Most likely the insurance company already knows about the good shops and won't have a problem with where you take it. Just make sure that OEM parts are specified in the repair estimate.
I believe I see frame damage
Old 11-16-2017, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by w204_racing
I believe I see frame damage
There is no frame. Car is unibody construction.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:27 PM

2013 C250
Thanks for the input everyone, it is extremely helpful. It is a 2013 and we do have a certified MB collision shop nearby. I did notice that the trunk lid is not aligned correctly. See pics below. You'll notice the gap on the right side is wider than the gap on the left. This wasn't the case prior to the accident. Can they simply adjust the lid to make it sit right? Also, the unibody construction means that the body is one piece im assuming. How can you tell if the body is bent? Anything I should look for?

Last edited by sharky_c250; 11-16-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Why don't you go to a shop of your choosing to get an estimateon your own? That way you will have an idea from someone that is trained on what needs to be repaired and then you can compare to what the adjuster from the other person's insurance company says.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 C250 coupe 2007 ML 350
Yep. Sure looks like frame (unibody) damage.

Be aware and don't ever forget that most bodyshops collude with the adjusters because of the secret contract.
Even if you do take the C-Class to the bodyshop of your choosing, odds are the bodyshop and the insurer have an underhanded contract.

If you are wondering, the contract states that the bodyshop will do their best to push use parts on you. The bodyshop will also cut the price on labor, paint, and such. Moreover, the bodyshop will often overlook frame damage because they do not have the proper jigs.

Many states do not even have a single certified Mercedes-Benz collision center.

Last edited by soldr230; 11-16-2017 at 06:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sharky_c250 (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:36 PM

2013 C250
Angry

Originally Posted by soldr230

Be aware and don't ever forget that most bodyshops collude with the adjusters because of the secret contract.
Even if you do take the C-Class to the bodyshop of your choosing, odds are the bodyshop and the insurer have an underhanded contract.

If you are wondering, the contract states that the bodyshop will do their best to push use parts on you. The bodyshop will also cut the price on labor, paint, and such. Moreover, the bodyshop will often overlook frame damage because they do not have the proper jigs.

Additionally, the contract proclaims the bodyshop will pay rental fees if it takes longer than a week.

Four years ago I sued a bodyshop for fraud. They settled and bought me several Mercedes.
I spoke to the adjuster a few moments ago. I told him I want the car to be repaired at a shop (if its not totaled) that is a certified MB shop and that I only want MB parts to be used in the repair. I also mentioned the unibody damage and that the trunk looks like its off. I can't drive the car because the muffler is rubbing up against the tire....(just bought Pirellis last month ) so I'm not sure how to get it to shops to have them give me estimates. The adjuster will come out to give an initial assessment, but as mentioned above by gamma300C , I want to have the unibody evaluated to see what, if any, damage/distortion was done to that.

Since the Muffler was pushed in, is there any chance that the exhaust manifold could be damaged/bent? Not sure how these cars are designed to know better.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Old 11-16-2017, 06:17 PM
CJG

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
You’ll be fine. Just get it to the shop and start the process. They may use used parts if they can find them in the system. That’s common on cars a few years old.
It’s all computerized these days. Body shops just punch in what needs to be repaired and parts/labor/paint hours and cost are predetermined. The insurance companies use the same type system. There’s really no way you’re going to get screwed.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:17 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by CJG
They may use used parts if they can find them in the system.
This is true... Read through your policy and you might find a clause in there that addresses this one -often overlooked- detail.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:20 AM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
And by the way, the trunk being out of alignment does not necessarily mean unibody/frame damage. It could be as simple as the locking mechanism getting pushed to one side and not the other due to the impact or the damaged bumper carrier.
sharky_c250 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
The Mercedes certified body shop where I live will only use OEM parts on cars. They do not use aftermarket parts or used parts. They are not a preferred shop for most insurance carriers. They stand up for the customer. I would use the certified shop so that your car is put back together properly. In the state I live in, the consumer has the right to pick the shop as well as what parts are put on his or her car. I would check The laws in your state.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:41 AM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
The Mercedes certified body shop where I live will only use OEM parts on cars. They do not use aftermarket parts or used parts. They are not a preferred shop for most insurance carriers. They stand up for the customer. I would use the certified shop so that your car is put back together properly. In the state I live in, the consumer has the right to pick the shop as well as what parts are put on his or her car. I would check The laws in your state.
While an insured/claimant is free to take his/her car to any body shop of their choice, the decision to use new parts or used parts is not up to the body shop, and is not dependant upon whether the body shop is certified or not! This issue is decided by the insurer and according to the terms of the insurer's policy, terms that the insured presumably read, understood and agreed upon when he/she paid their premium!

Assuming this provision is in fact part of the policy, an insured can still get new parts if they so choice. But to do so, they will have to pay out of pocket for the difference between the cost of the used parts the insirer was able to locate and the cost of the new parts the insured is demanding.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:13 AM
CJG

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by IGB
While an insured/claimant is free to take his/her car to any body shop of their choice, the decision to use new parts or used parts is not up to the body shop, and is not dependant upon whether the body shop is certified or not! This issue is decided by the insurer and according to the terms of the insurer's policy, terms that the insured presumably read, understood and agreed upon when he/she paid their premium!

Assuming this provision is in fact part of the policy, an insured can still get new parts if they so choice. But to do so, they will have to pay out of pocket for the difference between the cost of the used parts the insirer was able to locate and the cost of the new parts the insured is demanding.
This is 100% correct. You can get whatever parts you want, but you pay the difference. The certified MB shop near me actually makes you sign a contract prior to the job being done holding you responsible for any additional costs.
Most insurance companies only cover new OEM parts on current model year cars.
I just went through this with my MB about a week ago, and another of my cars a few months ago.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2014 C300

Many states do not even have a single certified Mercedes-Benz collision center.
I beg to disagree with you. I think the technical term is, "You're full of crap." If you don't have hard evidence of this so called collusion, then don't be making statements like this. There is no secret contract between the body shops and the adjusters. Since there is no "contract" between the shop and the adjuster they won't push used parts on you. Actually adjusters know which are the good shops and which ones cut corners so if they try to steer you anywhere it is going to be the good shop that does things right because they want their customers to be happy. Also, any good body shop is going to have the appropriate jigs to check the unibody. You're probably the guy that my wife, the adjuster, has to deal with who has a car that is worth $2000 who thinks he should be paid $10000 because that's how much he's spent on it.
sharky_c250 (11-26-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 03:28 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Aside from being completely false, this would be a perfect example of pure, unadulterated insurance fraud.

what you might not realize, is that insurance companies make HUGE profits....

Now you are mixing good with bad...
* The body shop does not need to push using used parts or anything of the sort. If the policy has provisions allowing for used parts, that is what insurance will pay for. The insured can pay the difference if he/she wants new parts...
* There is nothing wrong with a body shop discounting it parts costs/labor rates on a repair job that is covered by insurance. As long as the vehicle is repaired to set standards, and as long as the insurer does not force policy holders to have repairs done ata shop based on the fact that the shop discounts their bill!

* A body shop that does not have the proper jig, will subcontract that work to an another business. In turn, they will still make a profit off of that job. So not only is it bad business practice to "overlook" any work, it subjects them to liability in case of safety issues if the damage is discovered later on. This will also place the insurance adjuster under scrutiny, and I cannot think of a single adjuster who might risk his career on the premise of a deal with a body shop or to save his employer on one repair job!
sharky_c250 (11-26-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Please see this article posted in the Dallas Morning News about Insurance companies and body shops.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...s-over-repairs
sharky_c250 (11-26-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
A couple years ago I had a somewhat minor accident and both left side doors were damaged. Seemed more like scrapes and dents to me, but when I took it to the body shop, which is an approved shop by my insurance company, they said they would replace the doors as there could be a stell plate within the door that could be compromised. They said they would try and find doors that were the same model year as my car. If those were not available, they would look for mewer model years. In the end they used doors off a 2103 model and mine is a 2012. They are under obligation to bring yor car back to the condition it was in prior to the accident. They are not obligated to make your car brand new. You aren't suppossed to profit from teh accident, just made whole. Now if a damaged panel had a few dings and scratches before and when the accident damaged was fixed that looks all shiny and new, good for you. So for things like body panels used parts are perfectly fine and could be better than trying to repair a damaged one and less costly and time consuming for the body shop and the insurance company.

I felt I was treatd fairly by both my insurance comapny and the body shop. There even were a couple things I didn't like in teh paint finish and the shop took care of those right away. There is no great secret contract between them where they try and screw you over, at least not with approved shops. Too many laws and regulations for that these days. Now, you might not always agree on what they find, but that is another story.
sharky_c250 (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:31 PM

2013 C250
Update: The adjuster priced the repairs at $6700.00. The repairs will be done at the dealers auto body shop as well. All in all I think my car and situation are in good hands. Now my next question is, since It looks like I'll be keeping this car, do you guys know of any sites that offer customs, etc? I'm thinking that I might as well make it my "own" since I'm sure I wont be able to get the value that I would like in a trade in for a new one. I was planning to trade it in for the 2019 c300 next summer. Any advice on the possible trade in and or how and what to customize if I decide to keep it are appreciated!