C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Active headlamp inoperative issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2018 | 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Active headlamp inoperative issue

I had this waning pop up a few days ago seems to come and go but it stays in the stored messages. Everything seems to be working but just curious what the fix is.
Old 01-31-2018 | 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

so update its dark out and still the same message pops up, i used my scanner and there are no codes. all the lights work they self level and when i go left to right they move to the direction i turn. I'm so confused.

I'm wondering if i need to go see someone with STAR diagnostics.

soem options I found on MBworld in other sub sections are;

1. check battery voltage or replace battery (i'm still on original its going on 7 years old, but start ups are fine even in -30 weather)
2.check sensor's on the dashboard and in the rear view mirror
3.check fuse not sure what fuse and can't find answers
4. replace stablizing motor (which was replaced with the damn duck accident, so i may go there and see if thats the issue but to me it seems everything is stabilizing properly)

I'm confused lol
Old 01-31-2018 | 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

this is the battery voltage off the dash board reading any comments on how this looks?
Old 01-31-2018 | 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Did you hit a duck or was it a deer again? :p

Man you and your lights!
Old 01-31-2018 | 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Did you hit a duck or was it a deer again? :p

Man you and your lights!
i know! lol I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of my w204 but wtf is there to get for equal or close to equal value they range from 17-20K and dropping. I need something bigger and now seems like the time to fix the issue and see what i can get.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018 | 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by MB Marko
this is the battery voltage off the dash board reading any comments on how this looks?
12.2V at idle is on the low side. It should be between 12.6-12.9V, but I am not sure if this affects the problem you had.

Your best bet would be to get it STAR-scanned as that'll enable you to see which error codes are current and which ones are stored.

Let us know.
Old 02-01-2018 | 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This was before start up it says 0 degrees out but it's about -5. During idle it's at 14.8 V UB AND IB:3.0 A fluctuating (2.5-4)

I don't think it's the battery I need to find some one with STAR in my area
Old 02-01-2018 | 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
i know! lol I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of my w204 but wtf is there to get for equal or close to equal value they range from 17-20K and dropping. I need something bigger and now seems like the time to fix the issue and see what i can get.
I've been eyeing a bunch of cars, the new E, the new S (both expensive, but within my price range), the new LS (worried a bit though since it's the first model year).

Here's the thing though. The W204 has been, for me, insanely reliable, beyond my wildest expectations. My car still has 1.2 years of warranty left (bought the 7 year warranty when new), and it's been several years since I made a car payment since it's been paid off. As much as I want a new car, I don't need it, and thus I'm going to hang onto it, especially since, like you said, there's not much value left in these cars, so yeah I'd 120% agree - fix the issue and call it a day. Have you tried bringing it to an indie?
Old 02-01-2018 | 09:23 AM

350 GLK, C280
You might be surprised at the value left in the car especially with a year and 1/2 of warranty left. You might want to trade it in on a CPO, where the big price depreciation has already been paid for by the previous lessee. The problem is finding the right CPO.
Old 02-01-2018 | 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I'm going to look for someone with STAR locally. I bet the dealer charges a lot for a scan. My ultra gauge isn't picking anything up. The battery is fine , fuses look good. I'm stumped, I'm surprised I'm the only one to have this issue on the w204 section. Other sections have the issue but really ****ty responses to a fix.
Old 02-01-2018 | 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

Now I'm getting a second message "Adaptive High beam Assist Inoperative" just ****ign great. from what I've read theres one more warning to come.

looks like the fix is NEW HEAD LGIHT ASSEMBLY OR NEW MORTOR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. if this isn't covered under the duck incident it could be in the thousands of dollars to repairs.

I'm going to the shop tomorrow and getting this sorted.
Old 02-01-2018 | 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
UPDATE:

Now I'm getting a second message "Adaptive High beam Assist Inoperative" just ****ign great. from what I've read theres one more warning to come.

looks like the fix is NEW HEAD LGIHT ASSEMBLY OR NEW MORTOR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. if this isn't covered under the duck incident it could be in the thousands of dollars to repairs.

I'm going to the shop tomorrow and getting this sorted.
Good luck Marko. Please keep us apprised.
Old 02-01-2018 | 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by bop11
You might be surprised at the value left in the car especially with a year and 1/2 of warranty left. You might want to trade it in on a CPO, where the big price depreciation has already been paid for by the previous lessee. The problem is finding the right CPO.
You're right, but I have a guilty pleasure in life, which is I will only by new cars. I know it's financially dumb, but call it a boy's attraction to a new car...
Old 02-01-2018 | 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're right, but I have a guilty pleasure in life, which is I will only by new cars. I know it's financially dumb, but call it a boy's attraction to a new car...
i defiantly will!

Hey try a new addiction. I'm hooked and I haven't even got mine yet it on order but go try on a nice wrist watch. I ordered a Rolex Submariner and I'm hooked If I could go back I'd buy 3 time pieces that hold value and drive a honda civic LOL. I'm hooked on watches now.....
Old 02-02-2018 | 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
i defiantly will!

Hey try a new addiction. I'm hooked and I haven't even got mine yet it on order but go try on a nice wrist watch. I ordered a Rolex Submariner and I'm hooked If I could go back I'd buy 3 time pieces that hold value and drive a honda civic LOL. I'm hooked on watches now.....
Here I am rocking an Asus Zenwatch 3. Luxurious and classy, eh?!

LMFAO!!
Old 02-02-2018 | 03:09 PM

2012 C300 4Matic
i defiantly will!

That high end watch world is crazy. If I had the money I would definitely be into that. Your comment made me think back to my days working for another company and I used to go to Vietnam a couple times a year for about 8 years. Bought a lot a cool cheap things there. One time a friend that used to be huge into watches asked me if they had replicas there. I said they did and he gave me some pictures of a couple and a quick course in what is a cheap piece of junk from someting decent. I found all of them and he was blown away. Little by little I got pretty good at buying them and through the years bought about 275 of them of all different exotic names. Never got stopped at Customs. Would be easy to explain 2-3 of them, but a number of times I brought 40-50 at a time. That was about 10 years ago and mine (about a dozen) are all still working. Good quality Japanese automatic movements and a lot with exposed backs.Most were between $25-$45. My crown jewel was a Richard Mille I bought on my last trip. Unless you were a watch expert and could phyically inspect them up close you couldn't tell they were not real. I wasn't trying to fool anyone, I just thought they were so cool.
Old 02-02-2018 | 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here I am rocking an Asus Zenwatch 3. Luxurious and classy, eh?!

LMFAO!!
at least it looks good!

Alfadude thats an amazing story. I looked up replicas in the past some sell for $600+ and you apparently can't even tell the difference. I went all out turning 30, wedding this year, buying a house and got a pretty good job. So one day i hope to pass it on to my kids God willing but until then I want to enjoy the **** out of it and maybe add more. I have a Goal to buy a watch every 5 years once I get this one and make sure to go on a nice 4 week vacation every year for the rest of my life lol.

LET ME UPDATE THIS i looked long and hard on MBworld and other forums. some one posted with a similar issue apparently if the sensor on the top of the windshield gets really dirty it can cause this **** to happen. I don't know if its true but i washed the car and all the messages went away will see how long it lasts. The warning didn't come on at all today.
Old 02-03-2018 | 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
^The duck has come back to haunt you Marko.
Old 02-04-2018 | 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^The duck has come back to haunt you Marko.
I know its never going to leave my mind. the lights never came back, fingers crossed it stays that way.