C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

CARLY FAULT REPORT - using CARLY for Mercedes (version 11.61 at date of this post)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c300 4m
Red face CARLY FAULT REPORT - using CARLY for Mercedes (version 11.61 at date of this post)

Attached is a PDF for my latest scan. The PDF is produced when I press a button on the screen for "Send" and then it goes to the email I set up when I set up the vehicle in the software.

I usually hook up a trickle charger before the scan to ensure optimal electrical support while the scan runs - which can be anywhere from 15 min if you don't need to update the OBD2 bluetooth adapter up to more than 40 minutes if you do need to update the OBD2 bluetooth adapter. (It should have taken 15+5 minutes for BT adapter update and scanning but it took over 40 minutes because during the updating of the BT adapter I needed to run the same updating function 3 times because the update routine which is supposed to be up to 5 minutes did get stuck twice for some reason and so each time i gave it another 5 minutes before restarting.

COULD you ladies and gentlemen please look over my CARLY fault report and comment on
  • a.) rough procedures necessary to fix the matter,
  • b.) hours needed per MBZ guidelines
  • c.) what can go wrong if I leave the fault ignored, and
  • d.) what the costs of the procedure would be, say in USD or in CAD (I live in Vancouver, Canada),
  • e.) what level of reliance (out of 10) I can place on your comment in case you're a DIY
Thank You very much and have a better day

As to the SRS fault:
I thought I had the parts angle covered after MBZ dealer (during an airbag recall) and a certified indy (after fixing my car's ESL issue) both told me the same part number for the passenger side (right side of car) buckle lock "240-860-02-69" , and then I bought the part from MBZ (non-refundable), but CARLY scan done after buying the part from MBZ mentions a different part number. I sent a support request today to CARLY to address the difference in part number.
Attached Files
Old 02-14-2018, 08:42 PM

2008 c300 4m
Update re: Voltage per CARLY report being 11.9 (see PDF attached to my prior post): This 11.9V value is unchanged over the last 5 scans and appears stuck in its original valuation from 6 months ago. I just used a Solar BA7 battery tester and the value of Voltage is 12.58, after having the trickle charger on beyond the last scan and after one day's worth of driving.

All-in-all so far I paid for the CARLY Pro version for mbz (which costs a one-time fee [for lifetime continuing s/ware upgrades] and being capable of reading all mbz models): s/ware: 46euro, and BT OBD2 plug about 30euro. Software updates have been coming in the order of 1 - 3 per month since I measured from about September 2017.

My impression of the CARLY s/ware is that they are rapidly expanding across different models of cars not limited to mbz, collecting the fees but can't provide all the necessary details necessary to service all these models accurately until those details can be filled in later via bouncing with tech support back and forth. Since they are rapidly expanding there are a lot of gaps in instructions and information that should have been displayed on the purchased product and in their web page, as measured by average non-mechanics. So, essentially it seems to me that they are in beta mode without telling the consumer. So all my initial fee is good for future upgrades while having a lot of head-scratching and learning from trial and error along the way. I went CARLY because I have an e83 X3 in storage and did not want to buy a second scanner, because of future s/ware updates and not needing to pay for a hard case restricted to the scanner.

At least there is some doubt in my mind when 3 different sources of qualified judgement (MBZ dealer, Certified Indy, and CARLY s/w) do not all agree on the same part number.

Since the dealership alerted me to the buckle issue 8 months ago It has been a hobby project to do basic repair and maintenance on my w204 which I thought should be supplemented by crystal clear scanning support. I guess I can't wait until blockchain finally makes things crystal clear.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:46 PM

2008 c300 4m
http://www.mycarly.com/projects