C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Secondary air pump issue AGAIN

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
08 C300
well... because it's cheaper from actual vendor vs ebay.
Rockauto sells for $128 USD including shipping and tax after 5% discount with code 7521223462525665. Cheapest brand new one I've found on ebay is $145 including shipping and tax.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
well whatever it costs it seems to be a on going issue on numerous models for mercedes benz. pretty disappointing not going to lie.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by white46
well... because it's cheaper from actual vendor vs ebay.
Rockauto sells for $128 USD including shipping and tax after 5% discount with code 7521223462525665. Cheapest brand new one I've found on ebay is $145 including shipping and tax.
So around $164 CAD including post? That is a good price especially shipped to Canada. I'll check it out.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So My OCD kicked in... I went back and went with my uncle to my neighbours shop, look how the ****ing German designed this crappy valve. it looks like a muffin paper is the seal.

i couldn't pull my phone out to take after pictures because My hands were filthy but the part looks like new. Look how much carbon build up inside, theres nothing we can do about it... we should all have some build up but this is quite a bit.

I ripped out the muffin paper seal and took a rubber seal glued it to the valve and cut it to size, everything works. I guess time will tell if it holds up.

This part at the deal is $400 a new rubber seal made by me was free thanks to my neighbour but really if I had to buy it $3.

In total I have saved $2500 on labour and parts doing this myself.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
@MB Marko:

Firstly, I gotta say, half of the stuff you posted in this thread literally "peanuted" over my head (e.g. Jeff Dunham - peanut...newooooww), but I gotta say thanks for the info. I guess I sort of followed along, but I admit I don't get most of it. Secretly I'm thinking "thank gosh I have my 7 year EDW which covers the SAI for the entire 7 years", but then also I'm thinking, how have I had so many cold starts (thus triggering the SAI) and not had an issue. We both drive the same model and the same car, and I only have 61,000 km, and what I suspect is FAR more use of my SAI given far more cold starts than you have.

My understanding of the carbon buildup is because of how the SAI works and all that, and no sense re-hashing it, but I have to ask - do you think there's anything specific to your vehicle - either gas use (if that) or whatever that has caused you to have all this grief? I mean - I've been a user of MBworld for some time and I don't recall seeing threads like this.

I don't want to or mean to take away any of your great work at resolving this on your own (it really should be commended!), but I guess I just want to try to figure out if you're situation is a one off, and if so, why, and if not, ...what other ways we can go about fixing this other than driving to London, buying you a case (or several cases) of beer to save quite a bit in labour here
Old 03-15-2018, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
@MB Marko:

Firstly, I gotta say, half of the stuff you posted in this thread literally "peanuted" over my head (e.g. Jeff Dunham - peanut...newooooww), but I gotta say thanks for the info. I guess I sort of followed along, but I admit I don't get most of it. Secretly I'm thinking "thank gosh I have my 7 year EDW which covers the SAI for the entire 7 years", but then also I'm thinking, how have I had so many cold starts (thus triggering the SAI) and not had an issue. We both drive the same model and the same car, and I only have 61,000 km, and what I suspect is FAR more use of my SAI given far more cold starts than you have.

My understanding of the carbon buildup is because of how the SAI works and all that, and no sense re-hashing it, but I have to ask - do you think there's anything specific to your vehicle - either gas use (if that) or whatever that has caused you to have all this grief? I mean - I've been a user of MBworld for some time and I don't recall seeing threads like this.

I don't want to or mean to take away any of your great work at resolving this on your own (it really should be commended!), but I guess I just want to try to figure out if you're situation is a one off, and if so, why, and if not, ...what other ways we can go about fixing this other than driving to London, buying you a case (or several cases) of beer to save quite a bit in labour here

I can say the first time my pump failed I had about Edit it was 68,000 ish j(ust looked where i wrote it )on the car, now #2 it started to fail at 123,000KM ish

2 cases of stella will go along way lol. To be honest If you search this issue its in a lot of the older forums + other car German car forums mainly BMW. I hope my situation is a one off but others have had to replace there smog pump so I'm guessing it could happen to anyone. BUT if it happens to anyone at least you can do the job yourself its not hard just takes a few hours.

I only fill up with Shell V-power so I don't get how the hell it got so ****ed up. I mean I do about 5+ cold starts a day, i think I'm to only person who's opened the valve up and fixed it. I couldn't find anyone else( I did search hard though). I hope its all fixed and i don't have to deal with it ever again.

I guess I have a lot of firsts on here first the actual C63 steering wheel in the face lift w204 car (not sure if i was first but I'll claim it lol), the damn duck, now this.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by MB Marko
I can say the first time my pump failed I had about Edit it was 68,000 ish j(ust looked where i wrote it )on the car, now #2 it started to fail at 123,000KM ish

2 cases of stella will go along way lol. To be honest If you search this issue its in a lot of the older forums + other car German car forums mainly BMW. I hope my situation is a one off but others have had to replace there smog pump so I'm guessing it could happen to anyone. BUT if it happens to anyone at least you can do the job yourself its not hard just takes a few hours.

I only fill up with Shell V-power so I don't get how the hell it got so ****ed up. I mean I do about 5+ cold starts a day, i think I'm to only person who's opened the valve up and fixed it. I couldn't find anyone else( I did search hard though). I hope its all fixed and i don't have to deal with it ever again.

I guess I have a lot of firsts on here first the actual C63 steering wheel in the face lift w204 car (not sure if i was first but I'll claim it lol), the damn duck, now this.
That damn duck made you famous Take it and revel it in my friend
Old 03-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Where did you end up buying the part from?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Davi D
Where did you end up buying the part from?
I bought the pump locally but I should of bought it from rock auto. It's cheaper, the switch and fuse were also local buys.

I rebuilt the valve and saved 400$ on that part alone.

My car is running like a dream now hahaha