C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Testimony: Installing 10.25 Screen, Apple CarPlay, Backup camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300
Testimony: Installing 10.25 Screen, Apple CarPlay, Backup camera

Hi all!

I am a long time fan of the forum since I had 2006 c230, w203, but it’s my first time posting here (or anywhere ). I finally have something worth sharing. Hope this is helpful and meaningful to some, as it was to me for past years. Note, I am far away from being a mechanic. Just sharing what I did and my thoughts.

Some useful info:

Current car: 2013 C300 4matic sport, post-facelift with premium package 1.
My car has audio 20 with smaller screen (5.5 inch?).
Now my car is out of warranty, I wanted to improve it. Somewhat ironic.

My goal:
  1. I wanted to have apple CarPlay. Becker Pilot sucks, not to mention their terrible customer service.
  2. I wanted to have a backup camera.
  3. Touch screen, somewhat “smart” interface please.
  4. Important: don’t want to completely ditch factory system.
  5. Hardware deeds to be clean and well integrated with my car.
Then I came across this device: 10.25 inch android display (see video link below).

After hours of research I had the courage to give a shot (despite my skepticism, not to mention I had a lot of it).

I ordered 3 items, after consulting with sales person of carline-mall.net.
  1. 10.25 inch android screen
  2. backup camera (it’s integrated into a trunk release handle. no need to drill anything)
  3. apple CarPlay dongle to connect to the screen (white dongle connects the screen and iphone. plug and play.)
Contact them for pricing. It’s very competitive (not sure if I should be sharing the info when it’s not available in their website).

The sales person listed itemized pricing + shipping and PayPal fee. When I confirmed my PayPal account, they sent an invoice, which paid. The item was shipped from Hong-Kong, delivered in 3 days by DHL. That was a pleasant surprise. All items were there. Was I terrified imagining to receive a “brick” from China? Oh yes I was. Nevertheless, I received the correct items, very well packaged. No instruction what so ever (fine for me). Sales person was very helpful. Very responsive, sometimes made me wonder if he ever sleeps, considering the time difference (China vs East coast). The process was very smooth and fast.

The magic really is the adapter that goes between the new screen and the car (after your original screen has been removed. refer to “some more visual info” at the link below.
The installation is pretty straight forward. Frankly, the hardest part that took the most time for me was putting everything back in (more specifically the head unit).
Some useful tips (could be common sense for some):
  1. Plan the wire path ahead.e.g.
-Aux cable will go to center console (below the head unit)
-USB cable (used for apple CarPlay dongle, other media, updating etc) goes to passenger glove box (above the head unit).
-Backup camera’s video cable will come from rear, pass glove box and meet with video input behind where your original screen was (above the head unit).
-There is no space behind the head unit. It’s best to put all the cables above (behind the screen) or below the head unit (behind the climate control unit).

2. The two torx 20 screws that holds the head unit is tricky to remove due to limited hight. Need a low profile (or of kind) tool to undo/redo.
3. It’s best not to remove the 2 screws holding the head unit, but if removed, you will need to somehow put it back in “before” putting the head unit back.
4. Connecting AUX from the screen to the aux in the center arm rest. (Video
) It’s a video of pre-facelift, but about the same.

Pulling cable to arm rest required me to remove
  1. the climate control unit below the head unit (simple, but only possible when the head unit is removed
  2. small storage “aka ashtray” below the climate control (not in the video, but also super simple
  3. gear lever and it’s surrounding
  4. cup holder area
  5. rear vent
  6. center console
Problems encountered:
Constant humming sound from aux, only present when connected to the new screen. My solution was to use this device. (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
).

Everything worked. Very happy about it. My only wish is the backup camera to have a wider angle of view. This may not be a problem for some. It’s been almost 3 weeks and the 2 features I use the most ended being
  1. backup camera
  2. apple carplay
I am not including detailed installations of the screen and backup camera, as there are already videos with much more detail, beyond what I could present. It’s more like a testimony of a complete mission.

I have cross reference the three youtube videos below. They are the three videos of which I found most helpful. Many thanks to Raymond and Daniel for producing such detailed videos. Wouldn’t have been able to do it without their videos.

Installing the device (pre-facelift)

How to remove the head unit etc. (right side drive, but post-facelift model)

How to remove the head unit #2

http://carlife-mall.net/
info@carlife-mall.net
sales@carlife-mall.net

Some more visual info about the device I found helpful (not sure if it’s related to the seller I bought from).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-2...1573d507&tpp=1

Happy modding!
The following users liked this post:
EpicWalle (11-11-2019)
Old 11-27-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 4matic Sport
Just came aross this thread as I am looking to do the same to my 2013 C300.

How does the Apple Car play work? Do you have to plug in your phone for it to work, or can it connect off bluetooth? Any insight would be great!
Old 11-29-2018, 12:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300
You need to plug in your iphone using lightning cable, connect the other end the a hardware (a dongle that enables carplay), then connect the other end of the hardware to the screen's usb.
Iphone->lightning cable->carplay dongle->screen
The following users liked this post:
Sincity (11-10-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 03:46 AM

2016 GLA 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Lissic
You need to plug in your iphone using lightning cable, connect the other end the a hardware (a dongle that enables carplay), then connect the other end of the hardware to the screen's usb.
Iphone->lightning cable->carplay dongle->screen
Im slightly confused. Is the carplay dongle directly connected to the screen?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:09 PM

C180 Coupe
There other Carplay wireless types out now that don't require iPhone/Android phone plug in..
Old 11-09-2019, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Limewood
There other Carplay wireless types out now that don't require iPhone/Android phone plug in..
More info, please.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:04 PM

C180 Coupe
The WiFi - BT units that retain original screens like these.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, 6M, Dynamic Handling Pack
Has anyone actually used one of these before?
Old 02-14-2020, 06:00 PM

C180 Coupe
My Auto Electrician had a go at installing my Joyeauto integrated Carplay unit last week but some of the colour coded cables did not match, waiting on advise from factory, they are on forced shut down until 17th Feb due the virus..
Old 02-14-2020, 06:14 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, 6M, Dynamic Handling Pack
How much would you normally have to pay for something like this to be installed?
Old 02-14-2020, 06:39 PM

C180 Coupe
My guy quoted me 3 to 4 hours including fitting rear reversing camera he charges AUD$85 inc. gst (Tax).
Last week he fitted new black mesh grill and star lights up when main light are on,

to me it looks awesome.