C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

White Smoke from Exhaust after Oil Change. Advice Greatly Appreciated!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
White Smoke from Exhaust after Oil Change. Advice Greatly Appreciated!

Hey All,
I feel like a complete idiot with what I allowed to occur. Really appreciate any advice and guidance.

So I took my ‘08 C Class in for an oil change and they said it needed an engine flush because the oil was sludgy (overdue on oil change). I went ahead with it.

After both the oil change and flush, my car started smoking out of the exhaust. After driving it a bit, it completely misfired and got super sluggish and a huge plume of white smoke shot out of the exhaust.

I then took the car to a local, recommended shop as they focus on German vehicles.

They ran the codes and came back with an assessment that the spark plugs were overdue and the air intake manifold needed the repair kit work done. Also, they did another oil change saying it was overfilled the first time. All in all, $1400 in work. Yay!

They then did test cycles and that did nothing to resolve the issue. Yay!

Next they did the engine oil separator saying it was damaged due to the oil getting through. Another $200 and again cycles ran and no fix!

Heres the kicker, the smoke is a bit when doing basic driving but when you give it gas (driving it like you normally would, not super gentle and slow acceleration), the plume of white smoke shoots out, engine misfires, and it pretty much goes into limp mode.

You can then scan and reset all the faults, and it goes back to being ok.

I now have it at the dealership and the initial thought is the engine flush has done more harm than good. I really had no idea that could happen, otherwise obviously I wouldn’t have done it

He said it could be they have to take the entire engine apart and clean everything $$$$$$$ 😫

Anyone have any advice on this subject?

Thank you and apologies if this comes off as stupidity. I feel it, trust me.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
You never ever flush an engine, except with oil. What will happen if you drive it 50 Km without flooring it, so excees oil can burn off, maybe cats destroyed-?
Old 06-20-2018, 12:13 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Moto_Guzzi
You never ever flush an engine, except with oil. What will happen if you drive it 50 Km without flooring it, so excees oil can burn off, maybe cats destroyed-?
I learned about engine flushing the hard way it seems.
If the catalytic is bad, is that an expensive fix?
Old 06-20-2018, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 147 Likes on 135 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
What did they flush it with the first time? Don't you know what they put in that engine to "flush it"?
Old 06-20-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
How soon after the flush was done did the symptoms appear? If it was right away, why didn't you take it back to the place where the original work was done to at least get an answer out of them? How long has it been since the flush until today? Was the car running perfectly before you took it in? Was the oil chnage was overdue and, if so, by about how many miles? Did you see the sludging yourself or did you tajke their word for it?
Old 06-21-2018, 06:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
W204 C Class
If its only the catalytic its not that expensive
Old 06-21-2018, 06:54 AM

c300
Originally Posted by Alfadude
How soon after the flush was done did the symptoms appear? If it was right away, why didn't you take it back to the place where the original work was done to at least get an answer out of them? How long has it been since the flush until today? Was the car running perfectly before you took it in? Was the oil chnage was overdue and, if so, by about how many miles? Did you see the sludging yourself or did you tajke their word for it?
I noticed it the day after. I took it back and they said it could be the sludge/extra oil burning off. After the flush til today, it’s been 2 weeks (was in the shop since then). Oil change was overdue by around 5k miles. I did see the sludging myself, so they were right about that much. The benz tech said flushing it pushed all the garbage through the car, and obviously I’ve learned the hard way to never do a flush. He said they should have just done the oil change as is.

Theyll be evaluating the car later today to give me their findings. Really hope it’s not what he initially thought, which was take apart the entire engine, clean/replace parts (5K in work). At that point, my car is done. 😢
Old 06-21-2018, 12:28 PM

I am just curious to know how much KM's your car was overdue for the oil change, and if it had been overdued in the past as well-?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
These engines are not known for being prone to sludging. There was either something mechanically wrong with your engine to cause that or the oil was not changed routinely or the wrong oil was used. Have you routinely gone 5K miles (or more) past the recommended oil change interval since you have owned the car? If so, unfortunately you are reaping the fruits of that neglect.

Was the car running well before the flush or did it have some issues? If there were some issues, what were they?

Where did you take the car for the original oil change? Was it a dealer, an independent shop or one of the quick oil change chains?

Good luck. Hope the end diagnosis isn't too bad.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
Originally Posted by otherperry
Hey All,
I feel like a complete idiot with what I allowed to occur. Really appreciate any advice and guidance.

So I took my ‘08 C Class in for an oil change and they said it needed an engine flush because the oil was sludgy (overdue on oil change). I went ahead with it.

After both the oil change and flush, my car started smoking out of the exhaust. After driving it a bit, it completely misfired and got super sluggish and a huge plume of white smoke shot out of the exhaust.

I then took the car to a local, recommended shop as they focus on German vehicles.

They ran the codes and came back with an assessment that the spark plugs were overdue and the air intake manifold needed the repair kit work done. Also, they did another oil change saying it was overfilled the first time. All in all, $1400 in work. Yay!

They then did test cycles and that did nothing to resolve the issue. Yay!

Next they did the engine oil separator saying it was damaged due to the oil getting through. Another $200 and again cycles ran and no fix!

Heres the kicker, the smoke is a bit when doing basic driving but when you give it gas (driving it like you normally would, not super gentle and slow acceleration), the plume of white smoke shoots out, engine misfires, and it pretty much goes into limp mode.

You can then scan and reset all the faults, and it goes back to being ok.

I now have it at the dealership and the initial thought is the engine flush has done more harm than good. I really had no idea that could happen, otherwise obviously I wouldn’t have done it

He said it could be they have to take the entire engine apart and clean everything $$$$$$$ 😫

Anyone have any advice on this subject?

Thank you and apologies if this comes off as stupidity. I feel it, trust me.
the owners manual specifically does not recommend oil supplements or additives in its engines.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:52 PM

If they made that mistake and you said its the end of the road with all those expenses probably coming, I would 1st get other opinions on where the surplus oil landed in this engine. Before doing anything serious, if it was my car, I would suck out the oil, replace, drive 20Km, suck out and replace, drive 40Km suck out and replace, then examine the filter replaced, drive 100Km suck out oil and replace and the evaluate the filter and situation again.

If oil could have come into places where it may stay for a time where no oil should be I 1st attend to those above engine...

Search youtube for overfill, see how those guys faired, theres one overfilling an AMG....Loads of white smoke.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:28 AM

2008 C300 4MATIC Sport
I'll preface this by saying that I am new to MB, 08 C300 4MATIC, and as mentioned, you should never add anything not approved by MB, and I would also find a reputable shop for the maintenance you will not be doing yourself.

From my experience, working in an auto shop with these cleaners, the smoke was more than likely from the engine treatment, which can be a two part process, where fuel treatment is added as well - these are typically heavy duty solvent based cleaners, NOT lubricants. It's also possible they gave you an oil change, added the engine cleaner and ran with it, which could be the reason the other shop found that your oil was overfilled. The treatment is intended to be run through your car at a mid to high RPM for 15-20 mins, followed by everything being drained out and the oil and filter being replaced, the two oil filters and oil changes should be reflected in the bill. I seriously doubt one overfill would ruin your cats, my guess is that you were probably still burning off these solvents.

"the air intake manifold needed the repair kit work done" .. .What does this mean exactly, the Mass Air Flow Sensor? This could be the reason why your car "misfired and got super sluggish" coupled with the spark plugs, and potentially failing (coils). It wouldn't hurt to do another oil change on your own.

Good luck, hopefully things turn around for you.