C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tranny/Engine mount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Tranny/Engine mount

I'm in between a hard place and a rock.

So anyways, I suspect either the tranny mount or engine mount is on its way out. (probably the former), and while I still have warranty I'm a bit unsure as far as whether or not I want to bring it to the dealer.

On a hot summer day with the AC on, at Drive with the car at 0 speed, I feel a vibration in the steering wheel (and a bit in the seat). In neutral, I don't feel anything, so if anything it's the tranny mounts. That said, I am a picky AF person.

So...do you guys notice this too? I know when the car was new and up to say the 5 year mark, the car had 0 vibrations, even in drive. But now, it's starting to age, and that's fine, but if I bring this into the dealer and they deem it as a "car is operating in spec", then I'm out $160....

So...what do you guys see/notice?
Old 09-04-2018, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
The mounts will be collapsing. Normal with that age/mileage. They should be covered under warranty, we do them all the time.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The mounts will be collapsing. Normal with that age/mileage. They should be covered under warranty, we do them all the time.
Is there a way for me to check this easily? E.g. If I get my sorry rear under the car....can I see this myself? E.g. I want to get to a point where if they come back to me and say "nah, it all looks fine", that I come back and say "shove it Maestro, take a look at this!" (show them a photo, etc).
Old 09-05-2018, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Is there a way for me to check this easily? E.g. If I get my sorry rear under the car....can I see this myself? E.g. I want to get to a point where if they come back to me and say "nah, it all looks fine", that I come back and say "shove it Maestro, take a look at this!" (show them a photo, etc).
When the transmission mount on my car was going bad, I got under the car with my mechanic while his helper was in the car. As he cycled through R N and D, you can see the transmission move a bit too much without the collapsed mount being able to absorb the movement/vibration in idle. This was more visible with the brakes fully applied and tapping the gas in D or R, I could see the vibrations with my own eyes. After changing the mount, I could swear the car was back to that brand new feel.

The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 01:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
C204
Probably all mounts are bad. The engine mounts are much more expensive both as parts and as labor for replacing. Transmission mount is very cheap and easy to replace.

I replaced the transmission mount only and big part of the problem was resolved but I still get some vibration so the engine mounts have to be replaced as well.

If the car is under warranty, you will just tell them that there is vibration and let them fix it. They will have to find what causes the vibration.

Last edited by dol4er; 09-05-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by xsever
When the transmission mount on my car was going bad, I got under the car with my mechanic while his helper was in the car. As he cycled through R N and D, you can see the transmission move a bit too much without the collapsed mount being able to absorb the movement/vibration in idle. This was more visible with the brakes fully applied and tapping the gas in D or R, I could see the vibrations with my own eyes. After changing the mount, I could swear the car was back to that brand new feel.
Thanks as usual (to you and others). When you put in the new mount, did the visible vibrations go away?
Old 09-05-2018, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
You can tell by the gap in the mount, generally if you can fit a finger in the gap in the trans mount, it's collapsed too much. The engine mounts are hydro filled and have a cover piece on the bottom, when it's swelled up like a balloon, it's time to change them.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Thanks as usual (to you and others). When you put in the new mount, did the visible vibrations go away?
Oh yes! Big time! At first, when we were diagnosing the problem, I thought it was vibration in the exhaust system, but after the transmission mount was replaced, all vibrations were eliminated. The car felt brand new again.

Below are pictures of the new mount I installed and the older mount which looks very different to the point we suspected it was not for the CLK or it was the older design.

Name:  a8YYf8l.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  103.4 KB
Name:  10ONnRR.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  145.6 KB
Old 09-05-2018, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Thanks guys! I got mad and called the dealer because it doesn't say the tranny mount is explicitly covered in the ELW in my documentation. The guy gave me some s*** about having to diagnose it and it could be a problem with the tires (proof SA's are morons). Anyways, I told him to give me a definitive answer if it's covered or not and told him to stop wasting my time. (lol). He said to get back to me, but he said something along the lines that it is a wear and tear item...but he wasn't sure ()

I mean, engine mounts are covered so......IMHO tranny mounts should be too. Not sure why it's rocket science!
Old 09-05-2018, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,339 Posts
2014 - W212 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Hi P,

I just replaced all 3 mounts on my E400, albeit only 10,500KM, but 4 years old last June.
Its not severe vibration in anyway, I just don't like the way my engine move when I throttled hard and sudden in Neutral. Say useful life at 100%, I think its now down to 60% or so. I am ultra sensitive for this kind of thing.
I changed all 3 mount, inlcuding the transmission one for convenience sake.

As you know the M276 DELA 30 is turbocharged and the left and right engine mounts is exactly below the the exhaust side of the turbo. I mean that is one hot nasty place to be for the front engine mounts.

My Ford Fiesta, 20,000KM. 7.5 years old. I just replaced one of the front mounts and tomorrow 2 more of the rest. So total 3. Its rubber timing belt + tensioner need to change too, due to 7.5 years, not mileage.
These Ford mounts, useful life is already 20% or less as the minor vibration can be felt to the steering wheel at idle, very minor but me sensitive.
Front wheel drive cars usually worn its engine mount faster than rear wheel drive, as the engine and drive is all at the front.
I used to have a FWD Toyota which I abused so much, every 20,000KM the engine mounts got so soft/worn, it can produce metal to metal knocking sound under hard throttle. Clutch bearing gone in 20K KM too... LOL.

M276 DELA 30 due to having the turbo and quite low positioned, exhaust system from its Cat to middle silencer need to be removed to get a hand to be able access/work the front mounts.

I think your next car, S450 would more or less be this tight a space for the engine mounts.

No warranty for me, expired last year.

The following 2 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
superangrypenguin (09-05-2018), xsever (09-06-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
On the M272, if you don't get to the engine mounts in time, the engine sags and this will cause the inner CV boot on the front half shafts to go bad, just had to do the mounts, CV shafts and the control arms/ball joints at 150k. - NP
superangrypenguin (09-07-2018)