C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Need help with W204 Spring Rate for Coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 C250
Need help with W204 Spring Rate for Coilovers

Hey guys I need your help on what spring rates are normal for the car. I currently have the H&R coilovers for the W204 and it’s IMPOSSIBLE to slam the car because of how soft the suspension is. I’ve noticed BC racing offers a 7k/11k front and rear respectively spring rates. I’ve heard that’s a little soft. CXRacing offers a 10k/13k spring rate and I’m not sure if that’s too stiff for stance or just about right. Getting my 3-piece Brabus Monoblock IV rebuilt and just looking to dial in the fitment to be the only W204 in the U.S. with those wheels (that I’m aware of).
Old 09-05-2018, 10:13 PM
CGC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by WhiteonBlack
Hey guys I need your help on what spring rates are normal for the car. I currently have the H&R coilovers for the W204 and it’s IMPOSSIBLE to slam the car because of how soft the suspension is. I’ve noticed BC racing offers a 7k/11k front and rear respectively spring rates. I’ve heard that’s a little soft. CXRacing offers a 10k/13k spring rate and I’m not sure if that’s too stiff for stance or just about right. Getting my 3-piece Brabus Monoblock IV rebuilt and just looking to dial in the fitment to be the only W204 in the U.S. with those wheels (that I’m aware of).
Spring rate and ride height are independent. With coil-overs you should be able to dial in the ride height and use the dampening knob to get the ride more or less firm. I would go BC long before CXRacing. I have dealt with both, trust me.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:26 AM

2013 C250
Originally Posted by CGC
Spring rate and ride height are independent. With coil-overs you should be able to dial in the ride height and use the dampening knob to get the ride more or less firm. I would go BC long before CXRacing. I have dealt with both, trust me.
Yeah I wasn't planning to get CXRacing just referencing what spring rates they offer. You are right but my main issue I'm battling with these H&R coilovers is the lack of dampening adjustability and the suspension compresses way to much to have aggressive fitment. I may plan on going with Silver's coilovers. They are new but the only company so far to offer custom spring rates with height adjustability from the shock and not the spring perch which is a huge pain. Also includes the front top hat with camber plates. Fortune auto adjusts height from the spring perch unfortunately. Would it be better to go with a little stiffer spring and softer dampening or a softer spring and stiffer dampening?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:48 AM
CGC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C350
Yeah I wasn't planning to get CXRacing just referencing what spring rates they offer. You are right but my main issue I'm battling with these H&R coilovers is the lack of dampening adjustability and the suspension compresses way to much to have aggressive fitment. I may plan on going with Silver's coilovers. They are new but the only company so far to offer custom spring rates with height adjustability from the shock and not the spring perch which is a huge pain. Also includes the front top hat with camber plates. Fortune auto adjusts height from the spring perch unfortunately. Would it be better to go with a little stiffer spring and softer dampening or a softer spring and stiffer dampening?
If you contact BC they will do custom spring rates, they will also do Swift springs as an upgrade that ride even better.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:00 PM

2013 C250
Originally Posted by CGC
If you contact BC they will do custom spring rates, they will also do Swift springs as an upgrade that ride even better.
i have contacted them and they can’t do custom rates for Mercedes. The most I got out of them was a 13k spring in the rear and they didn’t even sound confident in offering it to me. Hence why I’m considering Silver’s.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C63 AMG W204

i have contacted them and they can’t do custom rates for Mercedes. The most I got out of them was a 13k spring in the rear and they didn’t even sound confident in offering it to me. Hence why I’m considering Silver’s.
What coilovers did you end up going with? I'm trying to decide between silvers and BC
Old 03-27-2019, 01:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C350
Im currently running BC coilovers on my c350 and car is slammed, i love the handling and how they absorb bumps. Although we have ****y roads in here but for a slammed car they ride pretty well specially around the city. I totally recommend BCs .
Old 04-08-2019, 07:45 PM

2013 C250
Originally Posted by SGT-PillzBury
What coilovers did you end up going with? I'm trying to decide between silvers and BC
I did actually go with Silver's! The front suspension is great with a stiff spring however the rear you're not able to fully slam and preload the spring. I am working with them now to get some shorter rear shocks so I can slam the rear with proper preload. If you're not looking to fully slam then they're great!
Old 04-12-2019, 12:31 AM

Mercedes C63 AMG W204
I did actually go with Silver's! The front suspension is great with a stiff spring however the rear you're not able to fully slam and preload the spring. I am working with them now to get some shorter rear shocks so I can slam the rear with proper preload. If you're not looking to fully slam then they're great!
What do you mean by slammed? Got any pics of how low you are? Also did you go with the super low kit or stiffer springs? I am looking to tuck a little tire (little lower than I already am) If you don't mind me asking you some more questions about them before I pull the trigger can you DM on instagram @1Bad63?

https://silvers-na.com/product/silve...204-2008-2014/
Old 04-12-2019, 12:33 AM

Mercedes C63 AMG W204
Originally Posted by Cruel-Merc
Im currently running BC coilovers on my c350 and car is slammed, i love the handling and how they absorb bumps. Although we have ****y roads in here but for a slammed car they ride pretty well specially around the city. I totally recommend BCs .
My buddy has had problems with his on his C63. You might know him on insta his username is pure_amg. After hearing his experience I don't want to get BC
Old 04-12-2019, 12:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by SGT-PillzBury
My buddy has had problems with his on his C63. You might know him on insta his username is pure_amg. After hearing his experience I don't want to get BC
I dont have any issues with BC coilovers, i have them for a year now and this car is my DD.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
So what ever happened with the silvers? We’re you able to get shorter shocks? I’m looking to get coilovers but can’t find anyone that can do a rear spring stiff enough. Ideally I was planning to run 18f and 16r but can’t find anyone that offers more than 11k in the rear. I’m gonna lower the car as much as possible so that’s why i need the stuff springs.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:06 AM

2013 C250
Originally Posted by SD_R
So what ever happened with the silvers? We’re you able to get shorter shocks? I’m looking to get coilovers but can’t find anyone that can do a rear spring stiff enough. Ideally I was planning to run 18f and 16r but can’t find anyone that offers more than 11k in the rear. I’m gonna lower the car as much as possible so that’s why i need the stuff springs.
You actually have impeccable timing. I actually received the shorter shocks from Silver's about a week ago now during my trip to Australia so I wasn't able to install them. Since I got back I ordered 13k replacement BC springs that will work with the Silver's kit because they don't make a spring higher than the 11k. The highest that was offered to me was a 15k rear spring thats 10mm shorter than the 11k/13k spring. I personally wouldn't go higher spring rate in the front than the 10k that came with the Silver's though. Whenever those springs come in I'll install the shorter rear shocks and new springs and update the thread

Unless you're going full stancenation static on us I really see no way of you getting that low without some serious fender work and doing some magic to not get the tire to hit the inner wheel well to be able to drive static.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 241 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
I'm a Porsche guy, relatively new to MBZ ... used to seeing spring rates expressed as pounds per inch deflection. When you refer to 11k, 18f, 16r, etc. what are those units of measure?

BTW, have looked and looked and never seen factory spring rates anywhere ... do they exist? FWIW, we can't find them for Porsche either.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
Oh nice!!!

i just got off the phone with a guy from BC and he said that they now have the front camber plates so think I’m just gonna go and order from them. The main reason why I was looking at other brands was because with BC you had to reuse your stock front top hats while other brands offered top camber plates.

unless you guys have advice otherwise?

This is my old car just for reference
Old 06-05-2019, 11:21 AM

2013 C250
Originally Posted by SD_R
Oh nice!!!

i just got off the phone with a guy from BC and he said that they now have the front camber plates so think I’m just gonna go and order from them. The main reason why I was looking at other brands was because with BC you had to reuse your stock front top hats while other brands offered top camber plates.

unless you guys have advice otherwise?
Oh nice they finally have front camber plates. That's the main reason I went with Silver's too but you can't really use them unless you modify the strut top in the engine bay since there is only room for the damper adjustment (I've yet to modify mine). I probably would've went with them if they had that from the beginning but I also don't regret going with Silver's they've been good so far.

Nice car man but fitment in the 204s is really tricky I've only seen less than one handful of people actually get fender to lip fitment and they have all have bags besides this one guy in Asia, but hes had major fender work done and 326 coils he told me. I'm not underestimating your skill just letting you know its not close to being easy to slam this car as low as your previous car.

Looking forward to see the final product!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 E550 coupe
This was a great thread and I learned a lot. Might do the same as OP and get silvers with rear 13k springs from BC.