Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Engine growl

 
Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C250
Engine growl

Hello everyone new to the forum and new too MB.
Just picked up a 2013 c250 with 54000km.
Just wondering about the engine sound when taking off slowly from a light or stop. Sounds like a growl or lol Subaru type sound that I think is coming from the right front where I guess is the turbo and a huge CAT. It disappears when the rpms increase.
Maybe normal for this 4 cyl ?
Thanks

Last edited by Whitec250; 01-11-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Whitec250 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM
  #2  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C250
Actually had a tech from mb come for a ride and the sound is totally normal.
Whitec250 is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 11:23 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
none
Originally Posted by Whitec250 View Post
Actually had a tech from mb come for a ride and the sound is totally normal.
I just purchased my c250 last week and have the same noise... is it like a gurgling/growling noise and sounds kind of cool once you get used to it? What did the tech tell you? Just curious for my own piece of mind...
mrm143 is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 03:40 PM
  #4  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C250
Originally Posted by mrm143 View Post
I just purchased my c250 last week and have the same noise... is it like a gurgling/growling noise and sounds kind of cool once you get used to it? What did the tech tell you? Just curious for my own piece of mind...
Normal sound, turbo and huge cat is in the area of the sound. I may put additional sound insolation on the fire wall to tone it down.
Whitec250 is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 03:45 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
none
Originally Posted by Whitec250 View Post
Normal sound, turbo and huge cat is in the area of the sound. I may put additional sound insolation on the fire wall to tone it down.

would you describe it as a “growl”. Almost a “gurgling noise”?

Its actually growing on me I kind of like it.
mrm143 is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 06:55 PM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C250
Originally Posted by mrm143 View Post



would you describe it as a “growl”. Almost a “gurgling noise”?

Its actually growing on me I kind of like it.
All I think about it as the sound of a suburu
Barfff
Only from a stop then as you increase throttle you hear it but getting on it hard you can't really hear it.
So really on light throttle you get that suby sound.

Last edited by Whitec250; 02-06-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Whitec250 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:09 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
I love that sound, passengers are always surprised when I tell them it's a 4 cylinder.

Why would you tone it down? 😋
Ronin_Dax is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
none
Originally Posted by Ronin_Dax View Post
I love that sound, passengers are always surprised when I tell them it's a 4 cylinder.

Why would you tone it down? 😋
never heard that before so I was like what’s wrong with the engine. I like the sound. Just different.
mrm143 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:29 PM
  #9  
Member
 
ChazThePhoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 138
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by mrm143 View Post


never heard that before so I was like what’s wrong with the engine. I like the sound. Just different.

maybe you are not used to direct injection 1.8's. They sound great when hopping on it
ChazThePhoenix is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:19 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
none
Originally Posted by ChazThePhoenix View Post
maybe you are not used to direct injection 1.8's. They sound great when hopping on it
Never heard it before but I do like it.
mrm143 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:20 PM
  #11  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C250
Originally Posted by ChazThePhoenix View Post
maybe you are not used to direct injection 1.8's. They sound great when hopping on it
I have a VW and they don't sound like this. I just except a little more refinement from MB. Idk
Whitec250 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:19 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 380
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
I also have a VW and agree 'they don't sound like this'............................

My C250 coupe does not growl, gurgle, belch or burp - - - but it do whine (transmission perhaps)......................

Little coupe - CPO - gets surprisingly good fuel numbers. ......... . not as good as the VW - which displaces less.

Never had issue one since purchase 13,000 miles back.

Miller time,



ez





ez

Last edited by ezshift5; 02-12-2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: sp.
ezshift5 is online now  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:25 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
none
Originally Posted by ezshift5 View Post
I also have a VW and agree 'they don't sound like this'............................

My C250 coupe does not growl, gurgle, belch or burp - - - but it do whine (transmission perhaps)......................

Little coupe - CPO - gets surprisingly good fuel numbers. ......... . not as good as the VW - which displaces less.

Never had issue one since purchase 13,000 miles back.

Miller time,



ez





ez

hmmmm and you have a ‘12?
so far everyone says it’s normal. I dunno. No issues so far and it sounds kind of cool
mrm143 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 06:24 AM
  #14  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C250
Originally Posted by ezshift5 View Post
I also have a VW and agree 'they don't sound like this'............................

My C250 coupe does not growl, gurgle, belch or burp - - - but it do whine (transmission perhaps)......................

Little coupe - CPO - gets surprisingly good fuel numbers. ......... . not as good as the VW - which displaces less.

Never had issue one since purchase 13,000 miles back.

Miller time,



ez





ez
I think it's the placement of the turbo and cat (cat is huge) right near the fire wall. Oh well,I may in the spring look for some insulation (if course fire proof stuff )and put some on that metal shield thing.
Don't get me wrong car is great moves out really well great gas mileage and is smooth on the highway.
Whitec250 is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:58 AM
  #15  
Member
 
ChazThePhoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 138
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Whitec250 View Post
I have a VW and they don't sound like this. I just except a little more refinement from MB. Idk

I had a passat...which sounded like a tractor...but sounded good hone you jumped on it. The C250 coupe sounds great, altho there is much more sound deadening material..
ChazThePhoenix is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine growl


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: